Forums Latest Members

Public Service Announcement: don't ignore that niggling back pain

1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 10, 2018

Glad you are on the path forward to full recovery, even though it's a little ways away yet.

Life is short, so make sure you enjoy it.

2. Moadib Jan 10, 2018

Had gallbladder challenges a few years ago. Thoughts are with you, and best wishes for quick recovery!

3. quito No, my first name is NOT Mos. Jan 10, 2018

Hope you recover quickly. Make sure your bile duct is clear of stones prior to laparoscopic cholecystectomy.

4. tyrantlizardrex Jan 10, 2018

I've got follow up blood tests on Tuesday, and it will be 4-6 weeks until the operation... I'm sure they'll keep checking me before they put a knife to me. :)

quito likes this.
  5. Mmike1357 Jan 10, 2018

Hope all goes well and a speedy recovery. I had a kidney stone a few years back. If the pain is anything similar or worse, I feel for you man.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  6. Bushido Jan 10, 2018

I'm sorry to read the condition had gotten so bad for you @tyrantlizardrex. Very glad to see you're mending and on the path to recovery. Rebounding from the cholecystectomy should be relatively quick and without too much complication. Wishing you a speedy recovery good sir!

7. sjg22 Jan 10, 2018

Speedy recovery Chris!

8. Longbow Jan 10, 2018

Wow, scary stuff Chris, but there's lots of positive energy (and distractions) coming your way from OF, so I'm sure you'll mend quickly enough.

As for the thread title, I thought you were going to lambast a well know French car manufacturer for their saggy seats or something. I'm a total petrol-head; it's what first came to mind.

As for the real advice I have very successfully ignored my (self-inflicted) back pain for the last 22 years and hope to continue doing so. It's nature's way of punishing a dumbass who re-built engines in his kitchen...without an engine hoist in sight and thereby squished some inter-vertebral disk things.

Kids, don't do this at home, it's not good for your general wellbeing...even if the kitchen is a nice clean place to re-build your motor.
    now put that back in the car fool.jpg

9. sdre Jan 10, 2018

Get well soon! Never fun to be in hospital :(

10. tyrantlizardrex Jan 10, 2018

Thanks! Feeling so much better now I'm recovering at home, and sleeping in my own bed. :)

akshayluc420 likes this.
  11. M'Bob Jan 10, 2018

If I know anything about the class of meds they give you for the pain, you may have to re-name your show, "Time for an Enema." Fiber, lad!

12. Nathan1967 Jan 10, 2018

Glad that you’re on the mend Chris!

Look after yourself

Nathan

13. M'Bob Jan 10, 2018

By (choose one):

1) Massaging them out through the skin

2) Bearing down and pushing real hard

3) Drinking something really acidic

4) Or hoping your surgeon is competent enough to know this ahead of time

14. tyrantlizardrex Jan 10, 2018

I’m on 1000mg paracetamol and 60mg codine, max 4 times in 24hours.

Also been given laxatives...

M'Bob likes this.
  15. frederico Jan 10, 2018

Get well soon Chris.

I assume the next episode of the podcast will discuss vintage nurses' watches?

vintage nurses watch.jpg
  16. tyrantlizardrex Jan 10, 2018

I saw a lot of rubberised, brightly coloured, modern quartz versions of those.

Got talking to one of the staff nurses, who said you can get them for £2 each, which is a good thing given how many get “contaminated and destroyed”....

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 10, 2018

Hope all goes well as things progress Chris.

When I saw "PSA" I immediately thought "NO! FUCK IT! DAMN IT!", but was glad to hear it's less serious and that you're on the mend.

Your message shouldn't be ignored!

I know "somebody" who ignored the warnings and he sincerely and deeply regrets that he didn't go to the right doctor earlier.

Now when did you have your last PSA test? ;)

Cheers

Jim

ahartfie and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  18. tyrantlizardrex Jan 10, 2018

I’m a little too young for those Jim... think they start at 40 here... so three years away.

19. M'Bob Jan 10, 2018

Plus the other typical screening test is way more fun...

20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 10, 2018

Chris -

I have a gallstone, and so far, it's not bothering me much, although that wasn't always the case.

I've had so many other surgeries over the years that I'm not touching this one until it's absolutely necessary. The doctor is monitoring the blood numbers and I'm at least trying to watch what I eat so as to not make it any worse.

My doc is good about that. He had a similar episode to yours a few years ago while he was in the hospital. Had the same surgery also.

Unfortunately, it's very common.
    gatorcpa