Forums Latest Members

Public Service Announcement: don't ignore that niggling back pain

1. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2018

Sure... they just want you business :cautious:

nonuffinkbloke and ConElPueblo like this.
  2. tyrantlizardrex Jan 10, 2018

Here in the UK, all other problems aside, (taxes aside) we don't have to pay for medical care... privately the operation is £10k, so I think if there was a good reason not to operate... ;)

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2018

I rest my case

[​IMG]

4. jove14 Jan 10, 2018

Hi.
    I tried last May to ignore the terrible back pain I had.
    The wife phoned for the paramedics and a few days later in hospital they removed a kidney stone stuck in a tube that passes urine to your bladder.
    I fully agree with Chris Don't ignore back pain.
    I spent eight days in hospital, I thought I was being brave but I was being B***** stupid!
    Joe.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2018

I don't want to scare you or anything but.....................
    [​IMG]

6. gostang9 Jan 10, 2018

Sorry to hear and glad to hear you're on the mend.

This is solid advice.

My younger brother went to the Doctor a few years ago feeling quite 'unwell' and was told it was nothing serious. He returned a second time and was again sent home without it being taken seriously. Within a day his wife took him to the emergency room at the hospital as he could hardly walk or move. They discovered his appendix had ruptured and he was going septic. He went into immediate emergency surgery and spent more than a week recovering in hospital from what could have been fatal.

On the rare occasion that I've been to a 'walk-in' clinic or emergency room, I've noticed many people and you always wonder if they are really sick. Lesson here is that each and every one of us must pay attention to warning signs and be our own strongest advocate when something isn't right.

7. jetkins Jan 10, 2018

Oof, get well soon. My wife came down with gall bladder problems a few years ago - on her second day at a new job. Not a good look when the new girl collapses on the floor of the bathroom and has to be carted out on a stretcher!

Edited Jan 10, 2018
  8. abrod520 Jan 10, 2018

Same thing happened to me a few years ago, I started having a really strong squeezing pain in my upper abdomen / lower chest. Spent a couple evenings in the emergency room worried it was my heart; got told it was just stomach acid (which I've never suffered from) and put on prescription antacids. Took a year for it to get worse and my liver enzymes to go crazy until they finally rushed me into an ultrasound and confirmed it was gallstones. Got my gallbladder removed, and I feel just fine now!

.... except for the fun fact that one of the effects of prescription antacids is that once you stop taking them, you have a rebound effect. So now I most certainly do suffer from acid reflux : /

9. tyrantlizardrex Jan 10, 2018

Yikes.

Did you have the laparoscopic (keyhole) cholecystectomy procedure?

10. any4xx Jan 10, 2018

My RN wifey complains that most doctors remove a gall bladder and send you home to heal without much information on what your body may need to make up for it’s absence. Like it’s just some disposable organ. Do some reading on gall bladder removal and digestive enzymes and you may end up adjusting your diet and supplements a bit.

Bottom line; glad you’re okay.

11. BenBagbag Jan 10, 2018

I had to google niggle (America!). Feel better!

12. watch3s Jan 10, 2018

get well soon, Im almost caught up on those time4apint podcasts!! Im surprised James Dowling's interview was so short.

13. tyrantlizardrex Jan 10, 2018

I think that given the severity of the stones (2 x 1.7cm shown on the scan), the inflammation, and the effects of my liver, they're keen to remove the gallbladder to save me from ongoing episodes.

They've been very good about keeping me informed, and will help with a new diet plan. :)

nonuffinkbloke, ahartfie and any4xx like this.
  14. abrod520 Jan 10, 2018

Yep. Couple small incisions around my abdomen, no big deal. They healed up pretty quickly and after two years now, aren't even noticeable anymore unless I'm looking for them.

I've had no noticeable change in my digestive processes either - I was told there could be some difficulty digesting fatty foods, but I haven't noticed any significant change, even when eating spectacularly unhealthily. Your mileage may vary of course but I think you'll be all right. Maybe ease into the raclette for the first couple months :)

Just be sure to thank everyone involved at the NHS... I live in the land of the free, which meant this process very much wasn't - I spent a couple thousand dollars out of pocket, since even a very solid insurance plan here only covers around 80-90% of costs.

15. watch3s Jan 10, 2018

its gonna be the time 4 a pint of water podcast going forward?

nonuffinkbloke and ConElPueblo like this.
  16. tyrantlizardrex Jan 10, 2018

Despite the name of the event/show, I actually drink very little alcohol... I'm more commonly seen with a pint of lime & soda water, than a beer. :)

nonuffinkbloke and watch3s like this.
  17. alam Jan 10, 2018

I read PSA and thought a more critical organ than the gallbladder was at risk (although the latter has a very important function too) :) I suspect the procedure/recovery will not be as bad as the one that would be required to dismantle a PSA-related surgery :) have a Speedy recovery!

18. tyrantlizardrex Jan 10, 2018

I've been saying lots of thank-you's to everyone that I've come in contact with, totally blown away by people who work in medicine and the work they do... takes a certain sort of soul I think.

I've been told similar around fatty and rich foods, and whilst I'm healing from the infections now, food is just about the last thing on my mind... although I did have avocado and prawns on rye bread for lunch, and it was just about the best thing I've ever eaten after 4 days of hospital food. ;)

19. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Jan 10, 2018

@tyrantlizardrex Glad you're on the mend Chris. Health scares will certainly put things in perspective. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  20. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Jan 10, 2018

Oh dear...."Speedy recovery" terrible OF pun. At least it's not Tuesday.