Forums Latest Members

Public Service Announcement: don't ignore that niggling back pain

1. tyrantlizardrex Jan 10, 2018

Morning OF,

I write this to you from under a blanket, with a hot water bottle, freshly discharged from hospital.

Having had a niggling back pain for two weeks, I went into A&E on Thursday morning, bent over double and unable to breathe... and was sent home with "an upset stomach"... I ended up at a different hospital, thanks to a great paramedic crew a few hours later.

Turned out that I had very large gall stones, a hugely enlarged gall bladder, and and the infections that go with that.

Now waiting for the infections (and the yellow skin and eyes) to go down, and then they'll book me in for gallbladder removal by keyhole surgery.

My message to you fellow young(ish) folks, is that if something hurts for longer than it should, don't ignore it, go and see your doctor.

Cheers

Chris

2. immustard A condiment that loves to chive to thyme songs Jan 10, 2018

Ouch,speedy recovery, I went docs yesterday after a week of pain in my big toe......i have gout!

3. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Jan 10, 2018

I'm hoping the pain is less now. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 10, 2018

Happened to my boss. He ignored also and was sick for three months. Glad you caught it and are on the mend.

5. river rat Jan 10, 2018

Get well.

6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 10, 2018

Come back strong, Chris, and maybe "Time 4 a pint" with some paramedics?

7. tyrantlizardrex Jan 10, 2018

Blimey Darren! No more port and venison for you. ;)

Thanks Adam, pain is much more manageable now, down to about 1/2 the doses I was on for the codine. Feeling much better. Just very yellow!

Cheers Larry. Not a fun this to contend with, can't imagine 3 months without a diagnosis... seriously felt like I was tearing in two.

Thanks you good sir. Taking it easy. Eating small portions of healthy food. Slow and steady wins the race right?

Cheers UB. I owe the paramedics, the emergency room staff, the nursing, medical, and surgical teams more than a couple of beers. :thumbsup:

nonuffinkbloke and noelekal like this.
  8. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jan 10, 2018

That's a good heads-up, Chris...thanks, sir. :thumbsup:

I hope you mend in a quick-like fashion. :thumbsup:

9. BlueBoy Jan 10, 2018

Chris, so sorry to hear this news, speedy recovery, and well done for not believing the first muppets!

10. tyrantlizardrex Jan 10, 2018

Thanks chaps - I think the story here is, if it hurts, keep asking them to investigate. :thumbsup:

nonuffinkbloke, noelekal and BlueBoy like this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 10, 2018

Chris ... I think it took a bit longer for him to hit crisis. Then he had to wait for the infection to subside before suregery like you are. Nasty business.

12. lillatroll Jan 10, 2018

Similar thing happened to my mum many years ago, one of the gallstones burst. It was only because my next door neighbour who was a nurse, realised something was very wrong and called an ambulance. The doctor said she would have probably died if she had left it much later.
    I hope you get better soon.

13. kov Trüffelschwein. Jan 10, 2018

Please define "it should" :p

Besides that, I already said off forums, hope you recover quickly and don't miss the upcoming GTG :unsure: Break those stones Mr. Lizardtyrantrex !

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 10, 2018

Get well Chris.

Couldn't help myself

15. GordonL Jan 10, 2018

Get well soon! I have a friend who has gall stones and says the pain is sometimes excruciating, so hope your recovery is quick and as pain-free as it can be.

Good advice for us all - us guys have a (probably deserved) reputation for just "living with things" but often that is the absolutely worst thing we should do. The medical system may be overworked (here in the UK anyway) but it is there to help us.

16. Tik-Tok of Oz Jan 10, 2018

Get well soon ! And this is good advice. Ignoring a potential health problem never makes it better.

Although the first diagnosis was technically correct...you did have a stomachache ::facepalm2::

17. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 10, 2018

[​IMG]

This calls for a new watch, Chris. Any excuse will do.

Timely warning.

Hoping you'll be over all this soon.

18. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jan 10, 2018

Speedy recovery old chap. I would never be able to neglect anything like that, the nagging from the missus to see a doctor would far exceed any bearable pain.

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2018

Make sure your surgeon is qualified ;

Principles of Reptile Surgery
    Written by Michael B. Mison, DVM, Diplomate ACVSR.A. Bennett, DVM, MS, Diplomate ACVS
    Anatomy

20. tyrantlizardrex Jan 10, 2018

Breaking news: They have confirmed that I am an actual human male. Who knew?