Forums Latest Members
  1. CaptainWinsor Jun 28, 2019

hi everyone

I listed a watch yesterday for $100 to help out Watchdaddy. It got $150 which went directly to his GFM page but I didn’t know that it was losing a lot of time and obviously needs attention. The buyer said under the circumstances it’s ok but I want people to know that my reputation as a seller, anywhere, means a lot to me. So mea culpa

2. JwRosenthal Jun 28, 2019

To the buyer- good on you!! You helped Bill out and got a free watch.
    The service to get it cleaned up will be worth it then.

And if this is that little moonphase thing- it's cool as hell and worth the service.

3. Observer I know nothing! Jun 28, 2019

Yes, it's the 'moonphase thing' and I bought it. I'm sure I'd feel the same way were I in CaptainWinsor's position, but as I have assured him, it is not a problem at all. We both wanted to help watchdaddy and we did. I don't think this reflects on his integrity and the only thing I feel about his reputation is that he helps people who are down on their luck, admits his mistakes, and offers to make good on them. That's all.

On the other hand, @CaptainWinsor ...
    I will certainly remind you of this if we're ever negotiating a sale. ;):D:D

4. CaptainWinsor Jun 28, 2019

I appreciate all the kind words. Normally I wouldn’t rush to list something but I’m cash poor and wanted to help out. I put a bunch of those watch display things in as well. I display mine on them but I find them useful for picture taking. A local department store here closed down and I bought a huge box of these for $10. Probably 100+ some still in bags
    0CD25360-8D2E-4E03-A40B-FD868363D176.jpeg

Observer and JwRosenthal like this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 28, 2019

I have purchased running watches that were not by the time they arrived. Transit not kind regardless of how well packed.

WYO_Watch, Lucasssssss and Observer like this.
  6. Dan S Jun 28, 2019

Servicing the Roseba pin-lever movement may not be worthwhile. Perhaps it can be enjoyed as-is, despite the fact that it is running slow.

Observer likes this.
  7. CaptainWinsor Jun 28, 2019

Now I feel worse

8. Dan S Jun 28, 2019

Come on ... it is what it is, and it's a fun watch. Some people collect these things as interesting pieces of horological history. And it's a good excuse to help Bill. :thumbsup:

Mad Dog and Observer like this.
  9. jimmyd13 Jun 28, 2019

I don't know how many watches I've sold over the years and posted out to their new owners. This year, I've had someone buy two from me - about two months apart. Each one arrived with the crystal no longer in place. I've never had a single watch damaged in transit and then it happens twice to the same buyer in a matter or weeks. Shit just happens.

(The buyer was happy to work with me and both were refitted by a local watchmaker with me reimbursing the cost).

10. JwRosenthal Jun 28, 2019

Is there a watchmaker on the forum that would be willing to service it for a decent price to make @Observer whole on this one?

11. Observer I know nothing! Jul 1, 2019

@CaptainWinsor
    I don't know what the post office did to it, but I put it on when it arrived and it seems to be keeping time just fine. Thanks for the extras. Just what I need for watch photos I've been having fun with. :thumbsup:

Dan S likes this.
  12. JwRosenthal Jul 1, 2019

Lol!! I have had the same thing happen!!

13. tritto Jul 2, 2019

It can happen to anyone. I recently sold a nice vintage Seiko sports diver on a forum. It was in great condition and had always run fine for me. When the seller received it it wasn't running. I offered a full refund but he was keen to keep it so we agreed he'd take it to has watchmaker for a look over.
    The watchmaker serviced it and the buyer asked for a modest contribution to the bill, which I was happy to pay to make sure both sides were happy.
    These things can be salvaged and everyone left happy if there is trust and good communication.

Observer likes this.