Forums Latest Members

PSA: Fake/Incorrect Camaro Hands in the Market

1. Ninja2789 Mar 13, 2018

I've already posted a review of the seller (WatchRecon: Amer Sibai | IG: rare_watches) but I wanted to go ahead and also provide more details about the hands themselves given the recent thread on a project Heuer Camaro. I'm hoping that other collectors can be armed with knowledge about what's out there in the market.

I first found the posting on Chronocentric for a great exotic dial Camaro project. The original pictures that were sent to me certainly looked the part. They had the sword points and the flat ends along with a black stripe down the center. Perfect NOS hands for a great project.

[​IMG]

After some months trying to track down an elusive chronosweep, I was finally able to have my watch maker put everything together. At first, everything looked great! But there was a problem. The hands were actually too long. So while everything "looked" correct, the proportions of the hands made it so the chronosweep couldn't clear the watch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Further research on Onthedash.com showed there are virtually no example of a Camaro (exotic or otherwise) that have hands that extend past the tachymeter. You can see the difference when you compare the picture side by side.

[​IMG]

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed in myself and my lack of due diligence on this project, but I hope that what I've learned through this experience can help other Camaro collectors with their own projects. I really do love these amazing watches with their unique aesthetics.

Now, if anyone has a correct sets of hands for a 73343 NT . . . . please let me know!

Dedalus05 likes this.
  2. abrod520 Mar 13, 2018

I don't think these hands are fake, but rather for a non-tachy dial 7733 model. Could be for a Carrera or Autavia (73353 or 73363)

3. JimJupiter Mar 13, 2018

What is the size you need? I have two pairs for the Carrera 2447, maybe they fit your Camaro as well?

Nico

sdre likes this.
  4. Ninja2789 Mar 13, 2018

Thanks for your offer. I'll have to get the watch back from the watch-maker first. Please go ahead and PM me your email and I'll send you an example of the hands I need!

5. Ninja2789 Mar 13, 2018

I had briefly considered the hands might have been for a non-tachy dial. However, I looked at other examples and found that none of the minute hands extend past the applied hour markers.

[​IMG]

I suppose it's possible they are either Autavia / Carrera hands, but then they should not have been advertised as Camaro hands. All the same, it looked close enough for me to not even think about it. Don't make the same mistake I did!

6. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Mar 13, 2018

Amer Sibai is a thief, liar and complete scum bag.

Edited Mar 13, 2018
    MaiLollo and sdre like this.
  7. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Mar 13, 2018

This is Amer's MO...sell cheaper parts and advertise them as for a more desirable watch and hope nobody notices. He has been doing this for years. An honorable seller would stand behind his words...not Amer. He is a scum bag and should be avoided at all cost.

sdre and MaiLollo like this.
  8. MaiLollo Mar 14, 2018

Let's hope that the negative publicity that he's been getting lately (I remember another post on CT) will make him loose his business

sdre likes this.
  9. abrod520 Mar 14, 2018

Yes, but the dial markers are moved inwards on tachymetre-track watches, so the hands are shorter as to maintain the same proportions. The minute track on the 73443 panda dial above is in the same spot as the tachy track on your 73343T exotic dial.

10. Ninja2789 Mar 17, 2018

Fair point. However, there's also the issue of the thickness of the lume on the hands being different. I'll be honest, I couldn't tell at first glance either. It wasn't until you compare it side by side. This is more apparent on the minute hand than it is on the hour hand. Notice t he lume is much thinner with the metal of the hands being more pronounced.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perhaps I can ignore the fact that I specifically sent a picture of my 73343T exotic dial as a reference point for him before I purchased the hands. It's possible he misunderstood and then sold me the current pair of hands as an accident.

However, what really sticks in my crawl is the fact he offered me $1000 in additional hands to sell and recoup my money. In a way, this just seemed . . . . strange to me. Since the very issue we were debating was the correctness of the hands.

MaiLollo likes this.