Forums Latest Members
  1. kvik Jun 1, 2017

Hi!

I'm fairly new to vintage watches and to vintage omegas, as well as the fourm.

I've been looking for a vintage omega for a while and for a few days ago I became the proud owner of a seamaster cal. 552 from 1961. I'm wondering what you guys think about this watch, and what you can tell me about it. Is there any indication of redialing or that parts have been replaced? I paid 330$ for the watch. Have i paid a reasonable price?

As you can see on the pictures, the serial number on the movement is: 18624134. The serial number on the case back is: 14704 SC-61.

The previous owner had the watch to to a watchmaker last month, and he was told there was no need for a service. The watchmaker just made a few adjustmeents. The last service was done a few years ago (the previous owner wasn't sure).

The watch is running at + 5 sec / 24 H.

The watch sits on a seamaster professional bracelet.

I really appreciate any answers!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg l_1717429180.jpg l_1807225936.jpg
    gemini4 likes this.
  2. kreyke Jun 1, 2017

Dial looks good from the photos but can't say for sure since it's taken from quite a distance.

Bracelet isn't original but I guess you know.

Seems like it's keeping time great. $330 is a fair price. I think you did well :)

kvik likes this.
  3. kvik Jun 2, 2017

Thanks for the answer!

I'll uload some better pictures of the dial later!

Yeah, I know the bracelet isn't original, but thanks for the heads up. Speaking of bracelets, out of curiosity, do you know what the original bracelet looks like on these watches?

It's good to hear that you think it was a good buy:) I really love the Seamasters og the 60's.

watchknut likes this.
  4. kvik Jun 2, 2017

Edited Jun 2, 2017
  5. kreyke Jun 2, 2017

They call it "beads of rice" or BoR bracelet. Google and you can see many examples of it. :)

6. kreyke Jun 2, 2017

IMG_0480.JPG IMG_0484.JPG

For your convenience. Pardon the dirty looking watch. Just got it and isn't serviced yet.

kvik and Giff2577 like this.
  7. kvik Jun 3, 2017

I see. Thanks! Looks like a very nice watch :)