Forums Latest Members

Protecting Serial Numbers & Purchasing With Polished SN's

1. wristpirate Mar 14, 2017

What do you guys do with serial numbers that are faded? If it's on the case back wearing the watch will further erode the number, obviously after a long time. I'm thinking of using those service stickers to prevent them fading further.

What's the consensus on the purchase of watches where the serial number has been polished off? Thanks!

2. Bushido Mar 14, 2017

Having the SN polished off would make me nervous. I would have to know the seller quite well and feel very comfortable with them to pull the trigger. The watch itself would also have to be exceedingly rare and at an astounding price. Ergo, It wouldn't be a hard no in every circumstance but it would be very close...

wristpirate likes this.
  3. Dogmann Mar 16, 2017

Hi sailor

I know for a fact if you buy a Rolex with polished off serial numbers Rolex will not service it and I know they confiscate it if it is sent in to them, this may just be whilst they make further checks maybe via other means to prove provenance and to make sure its not stolen not sure what other manufacturers do. Obviously on old watches with serious wear when on the outside of the case serial numbers can be worn off but they can still be still legitimate, but newer watches that have had there serial numbers polished off there really can be no good reason for this other than to try and disguise what must be stolen property. So I would never consider any watch with serial numbers polished off especially as receiving stolen property is actually a bigger crime then stealing it in the first place.

Marc

wristpirate likes this.