Forums Latest Members
  1. seekingalpha May 26, 2017

Hi all. Just got an omega seamaster, the new 3300 coax, blue face. First question - any suggestions other than insurance that you recommend when getting a new watch? Btw I recommend usaa if anyone in your bloodline has served in the military, paying 2% on the watch value and also received laptop, renters, medical, and liability insurance for free (insane).

I love it - wear it everyday, and am not worried about general scratches/wear and tear.

That being said (gasp), I do have one part of the watch that id like to cover with a clear case. Please wueue the g shock, bubble wrap, plastic couches, display case jokes, and put them in a comment to my email at [email protected]

The question I have is, is there any post/thread that shows the steps to putting a clear custom cut protection case (like from an iPhone) on the clasp section of the watch. The only reason is that the clasp is the only part that will receive SIGNIFICANT wear/scratches due to 20 hours a day on a rough desk surface (I am a lefty, so mouse hand is watch hand which means clasp is rubbed on desk surface all day every day).

Yes I know that watches are meant to be worn. Yes I know that with a quick buff everything will be fixed and I am a bumbling idiot for asking this question.

Apologies if the omega forums are not similar to the general watch forums and users are somewhat more respectful, and please feel free to email me any reason I'm an idiot that I didn't mention above to the email address referenced, I will respond immediately - as it is my work email.

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 26, 2017

Why not source another clasp and keep it set aside for a few years down the road when the current one is scratched up a bit beyond buffing out? i suspect a clear film will scratch up and look ratty in short order if you spend a lot of time driving a desk.

seekingalpha and Foo2rama like this.
  3. seekingalpha May 26, 2017

Thank you for the response. I do actually agree, unless anyone has evidence otherwise, that thinking about it any film would just get destroyed/look shattered immediately (considering my iPhone film made it a month). Any recommendations for getting clasps? I would definitely go OEM, but a good source/website for prices would be great.

Also thanks for the extremely quick response, and basically the answer to my question. Then again, if I would just buy an OEM clasp, I guess I'd use one for special occasions, and the other for everything else. No point in having the same part twice and just waiting for it to get ugly enough to swap out as buffing would fix that.

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 26, 2017

You should be able to source one through an Omega Boutique.

seekingalpha and Foo2rama like this.
  5. seekingalpha May 26, 2017

Thanks for the help. If you are purchasing watches in the future let me know, I've found a legitimate (somewhat secret) way to get gray market prices with man. warranties (online).

6. seekingalpha May 26, 2017

Consider it karma for a great reply to my first post, with no plastic covered futon images.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 27, 2017

You could try a large mouse pad with a smooth surface. You might get slight polishing but not as bad as hard desk scratch marks.

On days when I wore my Railmaster or my X-33 to work I just took the watch off and sat it on the desk in front of me on a spare mouse pad (the high quality kind, not the cheap hard plastic ones).

Check out "gaming surfaces". My son has one and it's just a huge mouse mat.

Screen Shot 2017-05-27 at 3.04.16 PM.png

seekingalpha likes this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 27, 2017

9. seekingalpha May 27, 2017

Starting a new job in IB soon so will have to withhold from the pads for a while, but good idea. I do have insurance but taking off my watch every day all day during work would not be worth the risk/constant removal/looking good . Much appreciated

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 27, 2017

IMG_3723.JPG You can always get a beater Seiko SKX for work... they come in all black also on a nice bracelet for about 200usd.