Forums Latest Members

Pros & Cons to engraving watch back?

1. hmss007 Jun 16, 2019

My OB is still investigating. Omega HQ originally said they couldn’t do it. I have given them a contact at Biene from a fellow OF member to reach out to and see if he can help make it happen. That is have the engraving done my the Omega service center in Switzerland.

Patiently awaiting details now.

2. Canuck Jun 16, 2019

More to that! In the movie, there was a Hamilton pocket watch as well (name now owned by the Swatch group as well). A friend of mine sold a Hamilton grade 993, hunter cased version, with front cover, to the props company for the movie. You may remember a point in the movie when either Baldwin or Hopkins plucked the minute hand off the watch with a pocket knife, laid the hand on a leaf in a puddle, and the hand indicated NORTH. Get real! I fitted a new Geneva glass crystal to the watch before the props company acquired it. In the movie, the bezel had been removed! I never did get paid for that crystal. I understand that Anthony Hopkins now owns the Hamilton. The same engraver (Brian Lyttle, now deceased) engraved all three watches for the movie. Trivia, I know.

One of the wrist watches QUIT during the filming of the movie. It was shown on the screen, STOPPED, and the script included a comment on that fact. Omega was pi$$ed over a fuss being made over the stopped watch. They paid a LOT of money to have those watches in the movie. That scene may have ended up on the cutting room floor after threats from Swatch, I don’t know.

Edited Jun 16, 2019
    larryganz and DaveK like this.
  3. pippy Jun 16, 2019

For our 39th wedding anniversary my wife surprise me with a speedmaster 145.012. We had it engraved. This year we will celebrate 50. I know what’s good for me and I will keep the watch. 5E490C47-FB70-4DBB-BECE-C5A3C43ABDF8.jpeg A5466EFE-67A4-417A-9C2C-8D7372E15AED.jpeg

DaveK, Speedy2254 and MRC like this.
  4. hmss007 Aug 24, 2019

I'm back and we have the completed engraved case back. We were not able to get it done by Omega in Switzerland, but instead had it done by Arc Watch Works in Lynnwood, WA (close to our house). Their in-house engraver, Carole, has 30 years experience and she did a great job. I had the Omega Boutique technician swap the case backs and I'm very happy with the results.

My son now has the watch as his first nice timepiece and here are some pictures. We even have a father/son picture with my 2221.80 (quartz) and his 2541.80 (quartz).

Thanks to everyone for your help and inspiration.

IMG_1025.jpg IMG_5836.jpg IMG_5837.jpg IMG_5838.jpg IMG_5840.jpg IMG_5843.jpg

5. bdp Aug 24, 2019

Looks great, hope you both wear them well.
    Congratulations on a job well done.
    Cheers

6. guwipa Aug 24, 2019

You did very well Mate

Great pair of watches

Congrats :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. PhilF Aug 24, 2019

After 40 years as a professional Gunsmith and 25 years appraising high end vintage firearms, I have seen many thousands of dollars taken off the value of a firearm by personal engraving. (Unless there was historical significance, like a presentation by a manufacturer) Even though we are only considering a $3-5k watch in this case, I think the purchase of a replacement back and having it done by laser for a precision (possibly by Omega?) and professional appearance satisfies your desire to personalize your gift and keeps the future value and, hopefully appreciation intact. The $140+engraving should pay for itself. Seriously, a very nice gift for celebrating a milestone in your son's life, congratulations to both of you.
    My Grandfather gave me a Bulova Accutron Spaceview for my HS graduation in 1966, it was utterly destroyed while serving as a Police Officer in 1970, by the time I got around to replacing it, Bulova had stopped making them. I got a completely restored one earlier this year, including a M6 (1966) case date. I have found memories every time I wear it. I wish the same for your son.

8. hmss007 Aug 24, 2019

Thanks @bdp, @guwipa for your well wishes - I really hope my son becomes a watch aficionado like his dad.

@PhilF - Thank you for the great story about your Bulova. I hope that one day my son looks back and has a similar story. :)

Taddyangle and PhilF like this.
  9. cholack Aug 24, 2019

Agree with the suggestions to get a replacement caseback and engrave that

3rdstringholder and nlogax like this.
  10. hmss007 Aug 24, 2019

Yep, great advice. Really glad I did that and then we had the new case back engraved and installed. The original case back is in the box with the service parts.

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 24, 2019

They spelt Mum wrong........

It is a Aussie website ;)

nlogax, take57, DaveK and 1 other person like this.
  12. larryganz The cable guy Aug 28, 2019

That's so cool - when I gave my son a matching 1998 Seamaster Pro Bond Quartz for his 18th birthday 3 years ago, I should have done the same thing. I again missed an opportunity when I got him a matching X-33 Skywalker for high school graduation. You are very thoughtful.

IMG_1352.jpeg

Taddyangle likes this.
  13. seekingseaquest Aug 28, 2019

I’m glad to see this came together as planned, Eric!

14. dinexus Aug 29, 2019

It's only cool if you're this cool:

[​IMG]

gpssti4 and Evitzee like this.
  15. PhilF Aug 29, 2019

Very tastefully done, your son now wears your love on his wrist, a wonderful daily reminder. Your engraver is excellent!

16. Evitzee Aug 29, 2019

Indeed, there are only a few people who are truly cool...Newman being one.

marco likes this.
  17. Fusion Aug 31, 2019

Tough caseback to engrave.

My dad gifted me a similar seamaster that I ended up selling to help fund a submariner:
    Messages Image(2223597412).png
    If he is not a watch guy, I would lean toward getting it engraved. If he is not, probably more safe to engrave it as he is less likely to sell it?
    I do not know if the caseback needs to be removed or not but overall I like the idea. Even if it is a little section on the side of the caseback it would mean a lot.

18. hmss007 Nov 30, 2019

Today I received the Extract for my son's Seamaster, it completed the collection.
    IMG_6377.jpg

PhilF, Longbow and larryganz like this.
  19. PhilF Dec 2, 2019

Just an additional thought on personalization, a simple solution ultimately would be to (1) obtain a replacement clasp & (2) engrave the original clasp. Easier to engrave, more visible on a daily basis, easier to replace if things change down the road. The spare clasp-in-the-box restores the watch to original configuration with little fuss. Realize the bridge has already been crossed, but for others, this may be a consideration.

OMEGAWD2020 and hmss007 like this.
  20. Perre Oct 28, 2020

Apologies to be reactivating this thread, but rather ask it here to avoid creating a new one.
    Does anyone know if this affects the warranty in any way as you’re modifying the watch?

thanks in advance!