Forums Latest Members

Pros/Cons Speedmaster: 1982 145.022 or mid-2000s 3570

1. moontag May 31, 2015

First, thanks for those that regularly post in the forum and for its architects... This is an invaluable resource (hat tip). Well, I received great feedback in my post in the modern forum regarding the purchase of a moonwatch. I appreciate the insight and it got me thinking.

Some of the vintage models have great character, which gives me a reason to pause in considering a pre-owned 3570. Out of curiosity, what are the relative pros and cons I should be aware of (movement, servicing costs and frequency, value, etc etc.) when comparing a mid-2000s 3570 with a 145.022 from 1982? (I haven't found a 1982 yet to post a pic for visual comparison)

TYIA:)

Edited May 31, 2015
  2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 31, 2015

I recomend going deeper.....

Pre 78 is my recomendation. They can have a real character of their own. I find the modern superluminova too bright and the dials too sterile. These are qualities that others value - the very things I do not!

so you will have to decide which way to jump for yourself.

The 1980's Speedmasters are a little later than my area of knowledge. The dials are domed, not stepped, and the date is not marked in the back. The dial and handset may patinate to an attractive look (see below) but most do not. They are mosty, in my view a second hand watch. Nothing wrong with that at all, but not valued by someone like me who likes a bit of character.

On the left is a late aniversary Speedmaster from 1994. The tritium on the hands is crumbling, (I just learned this it typical of this reference), but otherwise looks white and fresh.

On the right is a patinated 1984. Note the colour of the hands and plots have faded down to a brown shade. Now I bought this from a well respected Paris dealer a long time ago. Although I was assured it is a natural degredation, I have never seen this extensive change in a 1984 watch - Now I study it, and with information on this forum about heating dials and handsets, I wonder if it could be the source of the change.

In any event, I like the look, and offer the comparison here to show the difference between the second hand, and vintage looks.

Best of luck in your hunt.
    P5310013.ORF.jpg

3. proximal May 31, 2015

The two movements are the same design but in a different plating finish and an additional jewel that was added at some point in the 90s. There is no difference in servicing costs or frequency. The values should be close, as 1982 is still too new to be considered vintage.

The biggest difference between the two will be tritium vs. luminova for the lume. The tritium on a watch from 1982 won't be functional anymore. But it will look nice and aged if you are into that sort of thing.

persco likes this.
  4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 31, 2015

I laughed out loud!

That was a very polite way of saying that @proximal falls into the other camp!

It is true, if you want a fully functioning watch, then vintage may dissapoint.

I wish more people didnt like that old degraded look.....

persco and lenny like this.
  5. proximal May 31, 2015

I actually don't; I worded it that way so that the reader could decide for him/herself.

Actually, the only Speedmaster Pro I own is also an 84. It's more typical of the early to mid 80s than yours- the lume is aged but the actual hands are significantly less so.

[​IMG]

KingCrouchy and Spacefruit like this.
  6. moontag May 31, 2015

@proximal can your watch be worn daily? it looks nice and is in the type of condition that I would be looking for in an 82. I would like the Speedmaster I purchase to be a daily wearer and can see why choosing a 3570 would be a better fit if wearing an 82 daily is a bad idea . @Spacefruit yeah, the 82 is birth-year, which is why I chose it specifically. however, if wearing an 82 daily is imprudent, I may end up with the 3570 and getting the 145.022 at a later date. I should mention that this will be my first "luxury" watch and the start of a collection. The watches I currently own pale in comparison to the Speedy.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 31, 2015

I would actually strongly recommend an '82 for one reason, its the same tritium dial as the largest period of Speedmasters but it has an interesting and uncommon feature, specifically the 1450 bracelet with 808 end links which is considered by many collectors to be the best "wearing" bracelet on a Speedmaster (blame @Robert-Jan he told everyone about them 15 years ago and shot the prices up).

It has the same vintage look as the 1171 bracelet but has these solid endinks which are really substantial and look great as well as heavier and more substantial feeling solid links so it looks vintage but wears like a modern quality bracelet.

It has micro-adjust (the modern 1998 bracelet on the 3750.50 doesn't, you have to fiddle around with half links to get the size right which is a bit poor as its also the pin and bushing sizing system) its all brushed so extremely easy to maintain, and looks the business. Its also the first with Speedmaster engraved on the clasp.

The 1450 was only produced for a period in the 80s so an '82 should have it.

KingCrouchy, SteveB and Spacefruit like this.
  8. proximal May 31, 2015

Yes, absolutely.

That said, I haven't been wearing this at all in the last 6 months or so because I've been waiting to have it serviced. I don't have any history for this watch and I bought it a year ago. Do leave money in your budget to have whatever watch you buy, either 82 or mid-2000s, serviced. But once that's done, you can wear it every day without worry.

9. moontag May 31, 2015

@dsio @proximal Thanks for that! I suppose the 82 would be more difficult to find but the details you mention in the bracelet are much appreciated. I just looked up the 1450 bracelet and it looks awesome (I plan on getting various leather and/or NATO straps for the Speedy as well). Also, I have found conflicting information w/r/t serial numbers. I have read that 43xxxxxx and 45xxxxxx are the serials for 1982. Can anyone confirm which one is correct? As for servicing, I am reading it will cost $600 or so. Is that correct?

10. WatchVaultNYC May 31, 2015

Just be aware that a "1982" Speedy was not necessarily manufactured, assembled, or first sold in 1982. Unless it's stamped on the caseback (no longer done), people who claim these dates, generally speaking, base them on tables collected by enthusiasts on the internet. They are not "gospel" and may be off by a couple of years forward and back. The only real way to find out the "birth date" of a Speedy is to pay Omega a couple hundred bucks and they will pull the information from their archives. I doubt that the vast majority of people who claim their Speedys a certain date have actually spent the money to do this.

To many people, the internet tables are enough, but personally I would not pay extra for a Speedy that "could be" from my birth year, esp if I can find one in better condition at the same price

That being said, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to wear an early 80's Speedy as your daily driver. I personally prefer the look. Just don't try to find out what time it is in the dark.

SteveB and m84 like this.
  11. proximal May 31, 2015

I based the fact that mine is an 84 on a 45XXXX serial number according to the tables, so I'd say 43XXXX is what you're looking for. But as mentioned, no sure things with regards to these watches actually being assembled in numerical order.

I think $600 is a safe budget for service. It'll probably be less than that but better to not be surprised if you need to replace some parts.

SteveB and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  12. WatchVaultNYC May 31, 2015

The guys that made the fan-made tables themselves say that it could be as accurate as 1-2 years off. If the odds are evenly distributed, if you think about it a Speedy with the "proper" birth year serial number has only a 20%-33% to actually be from your birth year. Not a betting man, but them's poor odds.

I myself am resigned to the fact that I won't be able to get a "birth year" Speedy that I could actually believe was true, so instead I'm looking at "mission patch" Speedys, because I at least know the years those space missions happen (but this is only an option for those born in the 70s). In my case, it's an Apollo 15

The intent here is not to knock anyone who has or wants a "birth year speedy", but rather for the OP to come out of this discussion with his eyes wide open and decide for himself

Edited May 31, 2015
    KingCrouchy, Foo2rama and m84 like this.
  13. devnull May 31, 2015

Hey, nothing wrong with the old degraded look. If some people didn't like it I wouldn't still be married...

joso, faid2black, Paedipod and 3 others like this.
  14. moontag May 31, 2015

I am content with a 43xxxxxx being 1982 based on what I have read and what others think. If, in the future, more accurate information becomes available that contradicts this assumption, then hopefully, I can remedy the mistake!

That said, is finding an 82 Speedy (in similar condition to @proximal 84 above) a really hard find? How rare is a 1982 Speedy? Is the general consensus that this watch could take years to find (assuming similar cond'n as the 84 above) or are we talking months/weeks? If it is the former, I really do not know if I should wait it out or simply purchase the 3570 and wait until an 82 pops up on the radar screen.

omegasaso12 likes this.
  15. WatchVaultNYC May 31, 2015

Finding a pretty girl born in 1982 is harder to find than both a pretty girl, or a girl born in 1982.

.. hardest to find is a pretty girl born in 1982 who isn't high maintenance!

If I were you I'd get a good Speedy from any year first. If you like it then be on the hunt for your "birth year Speedy". These things when bought pre-owned don't tend to lose value unless you beat them up. Consider it as the girl you're dating until you find "the one". Don't over-commit until you're sure of what you want (which may take years)

Edited May 31, 2015
  16. moontag May 31, 2015

hmmm... years! i did not think it would take that long to track one down but it is a rather specific watch so i can see your point of view. is opting for the"vintage" (and I'm using it loosely in this forum) model really an over-commitment thought? is the 1982 145.022 significantly more expensive?

17. WatchVaultNYC May 31, 2015

I was thinking "commitment" in terms of time, effort and patience.. and maybe a little more dough - and "years" in terms of developing a taste for what you like. It would be a shame to spend so much time looking for the perfect '82 speedy pro (instead of just getting a regular speedy and see how she drives) then realize you actually liked Planet Oceans better. Or more likely, that you like the newer bracelets better than what comes with the '82

I've read many posts from those new to the hobby that came into it with an incredibly specific grail watch, but I'm sure the majority of these will change their tastes in the next few weeks, months, years of their hobby. It would be an incredible waste if you spent so much time looking for what you think you want and when you get it realize this wasn't really what you wanted - but what are you going to do? You already bought it.

My advice is get into an easy entry point, see if you like it, then proceed. Over commitment to a dream watch at this point not advisable.

Edited May 31, 2015
    dialstatic likes this.
  18. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale May 31, 2015

One also must not forget whether one requires their new watch to be to high-end or not? I've seen people end up with a high-end watch when they intended to land a low-end watch....and vice-versa...and it's not pretty!

19. moontag May 31, 2015

all good points. i am not certain i would categorize this watch as my grail watch (unless you mean "hard to find"), or even a dream watch for that matter but the speedmaster certainly is an awesome watch... and for me, the 1982 145.022 or the mid-2000s 3570 would satisfy my thirst.

originally, i was tracking the 3570.50, got side-tracked, and figured that if the mechanics, value, and overall functionality of both watches were similar, then why not hunt down a birth-year 145.022 in lieu of the newer model. especially since the 1979 and 1978 years were virtually the same price (or cheaper) as the newer 3750.00 on eBay, forums, etc. now, if the 82 145.022 is a such a rarity that i could be spending years hunting one down or spending more than what i am thinking it costs, then i would have no problem turning my attention back to a shiny pre-owned 3570.50.

@RawArcher are both of these speedmasters considered high-end? I'm not following. i am operating under the assumption that this is, for many, a solid watch to to start a collection. not cheap but not too expensive, the sweet spot of watches if you will. that said, i am not exactly bill gates but also understand that spending $2000+ on a watch is certainly not something your average person would do.

20. proximal May 31, 2015

It's rarity is only linked to the year it was made and not to any aspect of the watch itself. It wouldn't be any more expensive because it is only significant to someone who had some significant event in 1982 that they want to commemorate.

It took a few months for me to find mine and I ended up finding two within hours of each other. The one I ended up with was actually from a guy who was local, so I was able to do the deal in person and got a particularly good deal due to a very unusual set of circumstances. It takes patience, but then things just come together sometimes, you know?

I would suggest you start with using Watch Recon to search all of the for sale ads on various forums. Come back to us when you find one you are interested in and we'll help assess.