Forums Latest Members

Proof That Poor Details Attract High Bids?

1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 14, 2013

I have sometimes wondered about the effectiveness of eBay listings. Most will say the more detail and better multiple photos will garner the most bids. But I wonder if that's true?

Look at this listing:

<http://bit.ly/14LeZAN>

I'm sure the seller has answered many questions that should have been put I'm the ad. What metal? What size? Poor picture quality. No movement shots. This movement may not even run once the buyer sources a new stem/crown for whatever movement is inside.

So what am I missing? Do the bidders know something I don't, like its solid white gold? Rare? I thought for a C-note I'd gamble on a repair, but that money is waaaay back there now!

2. ulackfocus Aug 14, 2013

Look at the bids. There's a t***s that is "private" who pooched up the price. Makes me suspicious they're a shill. Then again, I've VERY skeptical of that behavior on eBay.

If it were solid white gold, it would be MUCH higher with only 4 hours left.

3. ulackfocus Aug 14, 2013

$316 is a potential steal for that watch. If I didn't already own a near mint stainless caliber 30L and had not just bought an 18ct Flagship and a couple Seamasters I would have rolled the dice. The dial looked good. Not great, but you never know without multiple angle pictures. The marks might have been all or mostly on the crystal.

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 14, 2013

I bought that watch. The dial and hands are in excellent condition, and the case looks to be in very good shape. With regard to the movement, I've seen very few 30Ls in screw back cases that weren't well preserved. The stem and crown are not that difficult to source, but even in the unlikely even that there is a problem with the movement, I'll be happy with the purchase as a parts watch.

Vintage Flagships, are, in my view, outstanding watches in every respect. The lug design was absolutely unique, as were the dial, markers and hands. The 30L was unquestionably one of the very best high-production serial movements made during the golden age of watchmaking, along with the likes of the 30mm Omega movements and IWC cal. 89, etc. I own at least seven at the moment, including two chronometer versions, and am quite happy to add to the collection, as I fully expect good examples to increase in value over time.

With regard to specific values, there are occasional bargains to be found, but a nice Flagship with a dial and hands in excellent condition can (and should) easily go for $800-1200 at a dealer.

citizenrich likes this.
  5. ulackfocus Aug 14, 2013

Excellent!

SHUSH!!!! :D We gotta make a pact to shut our traps about these until we get our fill. I know I've spouted off too often about the brand.

Just kidding! :p (sort of)

Agreed on everything, and once Longines gets the respect it deserves the early Flagships will easily be as sought after as some of the other well chased watches from other brands. Even the later non-inhouse models will probably go up in value. The hardcore might not search for them as fervently as the 30 series manual winds and 34x automatics, but they will appreciate too.

And that's in stainless. Unless it's a beater, you can't touch a solid gold Flagship for under $1400 anymore. Primo examples are netting $1600 and up depending on certain features (i.e.: pink 18ct gold, date at 12, etc).

6. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Aug 27, 2013

So are we talking 18ct gold ones like thisPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network?

Is it right - with 'automatic' on the dial and a 30LS inside?

7. ulackfocus Aug 27, 2013

That's not correct at all. The dial is either refinished incorrectly or it's from a 140x or similar reference. Can't say for sure until I see it on a regular size screen.

8. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Aug 27, 2013

Oh shame - I don't really know enough about these to be bidding on them. I will back out quickly!

Many thanks.