Forums Latest Members
  1. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 28, 2016

Better pictures as of today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TexOmega, Syrte, chronos and 9 others like this.
  2. cristos71 Apr 28, 2016

Really beautiful. I have this one at my watchmaker at the moment for a service. 18kt RG Fab Suisse Cal 354 for the French market. I also picked it up from a small auction house based on awful pictures. I can't wait to get it back and on my wrist :)

2016-03-19 12.37.48.jpg

marturx, destroid, TexOmega and 12 others like this.
  3. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 28, 2016

Stunning watch!

Taking bad pictures as an auction house and using them for a auction is almost criminal in relation to the person owning it. Good for you but imagine the loss for the owner!

4. ViaAppia Apr 28, 2016

Solid score and gorgeous dial

5. cristos71 Apr 28, 2016

As we say here in NL, ``De een zijn dood is de ander zijn brood`` which basically translates to, `` The one is dead is the other ones bread``, or the misfortune of one can end up the fortune of another.

Of course this was a small provincial auction house, I think more used to selling furniture and household effects..........perhaps a little stuck in the times and I certainly don´t think they have discovered the macro function on their camera phone quite yet ;)

This time it played into my hand as it turned out to be what I had suspected and I managed to snaffle it for a pretty good price. On the other hand it could have turned out an expensive dog with a chewed up movement and a dodgy redial!

styggpyggeno1 likes this.
  6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 28, 2016

Putting the watch of @cristos71 in the proper perspective, I have been watching bumper seamaster chronometres closely over 8-9 years now and 18k rose gold versions are rare - especially the swiss case versions but really any version save the "custom cases" from South America.

7. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 28, 2016

@cristos71 We have the exact same saying - "den enes död är den andres bröd". It is funny - I have often thought our languages are very similar in writing and me and a friend talk about it from time to time as his son is living in Holland. I can read Dutch without problem. Knowing Swedish and English fluently and with a couple of beers also German (and a tad of Russian and Spanish also but that has no relevance in this matter) it is easy to recognize our common language base. The really strange part of it all is that when you guys start talking everything is lost again. Dutch is really difficult to understand for me when I hear it and very easy when written...

Let us see if it is mutual (and do not use any translation help thru the net now!). Here my answer comes in Swedish. See if you can figure out what I am saying:
    Jag menade det inte som någon kritik mot dig. Det är auktionshuset som inte har gjort sitt jobb gentemot sin klient. Deras kund har förlorat pengar på grund av detta misstag. Du har inte gjort något fel - det är auktionshuset som har gjort det. För oss som samlare är detta snart enda chansen att göra goda affärer - misstag - och den enes död är verkligen den andres bröd.

Got it?

8. cristos71 Apr 29, 2016

Well languages have never been my strongest point. I can remember as a 14 year old, who already had a healthy interest in the fairer sex, and who was about to go away with my school on a 2 week water sports holiday to the south of France, asking my French teacher how to say to a girl that she had a nice ´derierre´. Well he told me,``Ferme le bouche`` and I, as a hopeless idiot of a French student, diligently memorised this in preperation for some holiday amour with the mademoiselles of the Cote d´Azur. Let´s put it this way, when putting into practice what I had so carefully learnt it didn´t go quite according to plan! :p

Regarding what you wrote, I just about understood the first part regarding critic and it being the fault of the auction house not doing the best for their client. The next bit I didn´t get at all. but then the last bit about our chances as collectors I semi understood. I have to add that I could only really understand due to knowing the subject matter and some context, had it been a random piece of Swedish text I would have been completely lost.

Edited Apr 29, 2016
    styggpyggeno1 and ConElPueblo like this.
  9. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 29, 2016

Hahaha... Well it is not totally mutual then. You got it but only by knowing the subject and context. I am a little better in written Dutch than you are in Swedish - but you still have nicer watches - you win anyway.

"Jag menade det inte som någon kritik mot dig. Det är auktionshuset som inte har gjort sitt jobb gentemot sin klient. Deras kund har förlorat pengar på grund av detta misstag. Du har inte gjort något fel - det är auktionshuset som har gjort det. För oss som samlare är detta snart enda chansen att göra goda affärer - misstag - och den enes död är verkligen den andres bröd."

= I did not mean to criticize you. It is the auction house that has not done their job visavi their client. Their customer has lost money on this mistake. You have done nothing wrong - the auctioneer did. For us as collectors that/this is soon (becoming) the only chance of doing good deals - mistakes (for instance bad photos and descriptions) - and it really is de een zijn dood is de ander zijn brood.

10. cristos71 Apr 29, 2016

I have something of a soft spot for these French market watches, be they in steel or precious metals with the French produced case. I have half a dozen or so in my collection and it has become something of a niche that I now actively seek out. What I really like is the extra line of " Fab. Suisse " or "Importe du Suisse" text on the dials.

11. cristos71 Apr 29, 2016

Maybe for a Dutch man it would be easier, but I myself am a foreign import being actually English, although I have been here for the best part of 15 years now.

And your modesty regarding your collection puts me and my watches to shame.

12. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 29, 2016

Aha - I did not know you were a pie-eater... :p Mixing Coca-Cola and red wine too are you (my English father in law did that when he was still among us)?

Modesty... not what I am known for... But let us stop - before the other guys here tell us to get a room.

cristos71 likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 29, 2016

Just the thought of that turns my stomach...

14. ChrisN Apr 29, 2016

I'm a pie eater and our preferred drink is warm flat beer!

Kalimotxo is this strange mix and I'd never heard of it until I came to the Basque country. I'm going to say it's an acquired taste....and I haven't acquired it yet.:rolleyes:

Agur, Chris

styggpyggeno1 likes this.
  15. cristos71 Apr 29, 2016

Pies yes....but let us please not forget the humble pasty, coincidentally here´s a few that I´ve just made today, fresh from the oven and ready for tomorrow´s lunch boxes ;)

20160429_190037.jpg

20160429_190102.jpg

GregH, ahartfie, boat2dan and 2 others like this.