Forums Latest Members
  1. Mothra Jan 9, 2014

Hoping for some advice - I have a friend who has been 'handed down' a dunhil quartz watch. She asked me to do a battery change, but when I popped the back off the old battery had leaked and has destroyed the movement. Does anyone know what movements Dunhill use and recognise this movement - is there a new movement I could drop in to replace it? Slightly fuzzy photo, but should do for general recognition purposes:

WP_20131110_17_09_30_Pro.jpg

Any help appreciated!

2. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 9, 2014

Hi! Could you please note down the information on the base plate in the area marked in my picture below? This should give the info we need!
    Seems like a ETA movement so I guess it may be possible to find something.
    Clipboard01.jpg

3. Mothra Jan 10, 2014

Holy Poo that's some small stuff right there! OK, so even through a loupe theres somes squiggles I can't make out - if they are important I'll get out a macro lens and take a closeup, but below them are the digits 955 411 - does this point anywhere?

4. Mothra Jan 10, 2014

5. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 10, 2014

You need to replace it with a 955.412. Same movement in slightly upgraded version. Cousins UK have these listed (new and complete) in stock at around GBP20-30 depending on packaging and if you need date at 3 or 6.

6. Mothra Jan 10, 2014

Wow, that's phenomenal. I've ordered one and what I thought would be a write off will now have a completely new lease of life. Question is, do I do the dial swap myself, or send it off? :)

7. Mothra Jan 10, 2014

Northernman, thanks so much for the help here - I hadn't even noticed the writing in that area.

8. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 10, 2014

Hi! Depends on your watchmaking skills! I would have taken it to a watchmaker for this. The dial is one thing, but fitting those tiny little hands are also a challenge. ;)
    Good luck!

9. Mothra Jan 12, 2014

WP_20140112_15_53_42_Pro.jpg Northernman, movement swap complete - took my time, removed the dial, hands and stem from old movement, swapped over to new movement and other than 40 minutes looking for the second hand I dropped, all went smoothly. I have no interesting doing anything more complicated though. A nice quartz successfully resuscitated with a brand new movement for less than a service would have cost....

Thanks again.

10. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 12, 2014

Congratz! Great job!
    :thumbsup:

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 12, 2014

Good on ya Stu! Had a chuckle over the lost hand though...been there done that many times, although not usually with hands.

I have spent multiple hours looking for a lost part in my shop - fortunately my wife has a knack for finding things, so I could have spent 2 hours looking for a part, given up, and when she gets home from work she comes into the shop and has found it in 5 minutes!

Anyway, good work.

Cheers, Al

12. Mothra Jan 12, 2014

:) typo - it was a minute hand - i picked it up with tweezers, realised it was gray rather than black side up so went to flip it over, and it just disappeared. I didn't see it go, but quickly realised it was on our black porcelain tiled floor. I tried a torch casting sideways light, a damp cloth, all sorts - after 40 mins it just appeared, dead centre of my search box... Cant wait to give it back next week. I got into the whole watch thing as i decided i would learn about watchmaking and quickly gave up as it was all just too small. This does show I'm slowly picking up knowledge and skills though...

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 12, 2014

I get emails quite often from people wanting me to help them become a watchmaker. I usually recommend they start by doing the TimeZone courses - I have seen levels 1 and 2 and know what they include. They are certainly not going to make you into a watchmaker, and they actually include a lot of things that simply are not correct or are certainly not accepted practice (they were not written by a watchmaker, but a hobbyist with dubious skills from what I have heard), but what they will do is give you a taste of it to see if you can handle it. It's by no means brain surgery, but not everyone is cut out for handling small parts like this.

Congrats again!