Forums Latest Members

"professionally Restored" Vintage Omega. . .am I The Only One Who Cringes When I Read This?

1. g-boac Jun 1, 2013

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs...4-big-triangle-dial-just-serviced-870332.html

AAARH!! Why couldn't this seller have posted this watch for sale BEFORE having the case polished, the original caseback refinished, and the hands and dial (including the big triangle RELUMED). He posted that he just had this watch "fully serviced" and gotten the full works done to it. I'd have paid him more with it untouched!!

Am I the only one who cringes and feels regret when reading this listing? :)

Mark

2. ulackfocus Jun 1, 2013

Sadly, even to some forum members (especially the relatively inexperienced WUS Public Forum crowd) shiny + pretty > original.

3. pitpro Likes the game. Jun 1, 2013

As long as it glows good....:rolleyes:

4. g-boac Jun 2, 2013

and I'm of the opinion that I'd pay more for a rougher original piece, than one that's shiny + pretty and perfect! UGH!!! so sad! Wish someone could have saved this piece.

Central Scrutinizer likes this.
  5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 2, 2013

I confess guilty of encouraging this practice as a buyer.
    I bought a flightmaster 911 which case is already heavily polished , but have very nice replacement dial, hands and pusher. :oops: Do I feel regret? A little bit...........but I can not supress my smile whenever I see it in very 'clean' looking. Most muggles (non vintage WIS people) complementing it more than my 910 flightmaster which retain its weary case, dial, hands and pushers. Of course compliment in vintage WIS community worth 10 times of the 'muggles'.......but still.

6. seamonster Respectable Member Jun 2, 2013

Respectable Member g-boac

Another difficult to source watch that was authentic and in factory-original condition, has been damaged by an ignorant party.

Just look at those re-lumed hour markers. Least said, nauseating.

Thank-you.

7. g-boac Jun 2, 2013

Respectable Member seamonster - well put!! Absolutely.

And for enjoying that "new watch shine" - that is where a gorgeous Watchco (or 3570.50.00 in the Speedy family) fit in!!

The crying shame here is that this seller was willing to part with the watch - and did this as a last action prior to putting it up for sale!!

8. seamonster Respectable Member Jun 2, 2013

Respectable Member g-boac

There is a wise saying by Confucious: 'the consequences of giving a pretty flower to a monkey'.

Unfortunately, there are too many clowns, who cannot appreciate the true meaning of the word 'vintage'.

If that seller were to give me the watch, even for free, I will not put it on my wrist.

Thank-you.

9. MyVintageOmega Jun 2, 2013

In time all these slap-stick pieces will only serve to up the value of the factory untouched originals.

10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 2, 2013

Once "restored" most of the changes can no longer be undone. At least for me, better to leave the watch untouched and have the next owner decide the level of refurbishing (if any) that needs to be done.

dsio, MKelley, g-boac and 3 others like this.
  11. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Jun 4, 2013

There is a local saying where I come from with regards to vintage watches. You can fix most things.... but you can't fix stupid

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 4, 2013

Central Scrutinizer likes this.
  13. hockey Jun 4, 2013

When I first started this hobby I found some 333's, 343's and 352's with nice cases and movements but with poor dials. I spent much time and money to have the dials restored, and although some of them turned out pretty good, I ended up selling every one of them. This is a 333 dial I had restored in Germany.
    1950 Chronometre.JPG

14. ulackfocus Jun 4, 2013

That would be the type of redial great on eBay, except it's too expensive of a watch for the average "I wanna pretty & shiny" buyer and the more experienced collector wouldn't pay big bucks.

15. hockey Jun 4, 2013

Exactly