Forums Latest Members

Proclamation of the day: EVERY watch collector needs to own a Speedy Pro at some point

1. Speedy1 May 6, 2015

Pretty sweeping generalization, right? If someone is even half-way serious about watches, I contend that everyone needs to own the original black dialed Lemania hand-wound Speedy Pro, either vintage or new. While many watches claim certain things, or are involved in this-or-that only because the manufacture paid to have it used, the Speedy Pro has the chops and more.

Also, some may balk at the size, but plenty of Astronauts had wrists on the smaller side, and you can't tell me that any of them don't look cool sporting the Speedy! Further, in the age of huge watches, we've all seen plenty of people posting their 46mm Panerai on a wrist that quite frankly shouldn't.

While we may be biased here, I contend that everyone should own the iconic Speedy Pro at some point, if only to truly 'get' what it's all about for the time that they own it.

(climbing down off the soap box)

Douglas

maxtor71 likes this.
  2. bill5959 May 6, 2015

Do you work for Omega?

Matty01, lando and CanberraOmega like this.
  3. Speedy1 May 6, 2015

Negative, and (cough), Omega isn't even my favorite brand; but of all the watches I've owned over the years, the ones I've owned the most of and always come back to is the Speedy Pro

4. bill5959 May 6, 2015

Interesting. What pray tell is your favorite brand?. By the way, welcome to the forum.

5. Speedy1 May 6, 2015

IWC & Blancpain, followed by VC and then probably Omega.

THanks for the welcome!

Nobel Prize likes this.
  6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 6, 2015

Love the speedy but.... Nah. No question it's historic, no questions it's great, but I would never ask anyone to spend thousands of dollars on a watch just to "get it" specially a collector as he or she most likely get it anyway so it's a matter of liking it, or whether it falls into their collecting profile. Maybe ask a friend or fellow collector for a day loan see how it feels. But as someone that has spend money on the wrong things out of haste, hype, impatience or greed I can safely say it's better to be patient and spend money on something you get already than spend the money before you get it and hope you will.

Edited May 6, 2015
    Superdoc, Linesiders and blufinz52 like this.
  7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 6, 2015

Nice...pictures!! We love them here and those are nice brands. Curious to know more about Blancpain.

8. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock May 6, 2015

Coming from a person who has owned and sold it very soon after, I agree. It's history and timeless design and movement is certainly important for any watch collector.
    At the same time, not everyone is a collector. I do not consider myself one. I think of myself as a person who likes, appreciates and enjoys watches. I will save up and buy what I LOVE. I will probably only buy one every two years or so. But If one day I have all that I love and enough money to truly build a "collection", I will come back to the Speedmaster. Just my 2 cents.

9. ulackfocus May 6, 2015

Never owned a Speedmaster, never wanted to own a Speedmaster, and never will own a Speedmaster - unless somebody gives me a GREAT deal, and then only to resell it.

There is no such thing as a "must have" watch. Black & white is for zebras and newspapers - watch collecting, and life, is one large grey area.

PatrickJ, Matty01, lando and 6 others like this.
  10. bill5959 May 6, 2015

From what I know, Squirrels only see in black and white. You've nailed it!:cautious:

11. threeputtbogey May 6, 2015

I would go one step further and say they need to have one speedy pro in their collection at all times (because once you get a speedy, how can you let it go?)

12. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia May 6, 2015

Great idea, but your playing with fire.
    You start out with a nice, nothing fancy, Speedie Pro 3570.50, 861 movement
    Slowly the craving starts and you realize you MUST have a 321 Speedie Pro and it has to be the first Pro, the 105.012
    Now things only get worse...which 105.012??? Answer, max out all your credit cards and get them all
    105.012-63, 64, 65, and 66. Just when you come up for air, you find out that OMG, there are two 105,012-66!
    The CB case and the HF case and you MUST HAVE THEM
    There's no stopping a Speedie Junkie now....One month left before the 50th Anniversary of Ed White's spacewalk and you don't even own a 105.003........hit the kids college fund and hope your wife doesn't notice.
    It's a slippery slope you're advocating. Be very careful.:)

bazamu, maxtor71, jimmyjay and 2 others like this.
  13. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 6, 2015

And then once you have them all you suddenly find a Rolex 6200 or 6204...or a Zenith "El Primero" from the 60's, or a pre-daytona or early Daytona or a Patek or a VC or God knows what else and you look at your 300 speedies...and then you look at yourself in the mirror...and at your bank account...and maybe at your wife who would swear all your speedies are exactly the same...and then you say...."oh, right"

Bienne2998 and gemini4 like this.
  14. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 6, 2015

And of course you can't down play the pre-pro's. How many variations of a 2998? 8 in three years - 9 if you include the 105.002..

It never ends.

Bienne2998 and gemini4 like this.
  15. Hijak May 6, 2015

Totally agree with this and totaly disagree with OP, and I have three Speedmasters.

Prange, lando and Archer like this.
  16. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 6, 2015

How about every watch collector should own at least a few Speedys.

But seriously, I am a huge speedmaster fan and for me they are my all time favorite watch, but with that said, my least favorite is the 3570.50 and do not see myself ever owning one.

Now let's talk about the limited editions. Everyone should own the Gemini IV, Apollo 11 Panda, and the Speediorite. Are those not the top three LEs?

17. Linesiders Stripers, not snook. May 6, 2015

When I grow up , I will have the right early Speedy. Until then, Big Triangles and Tudor Subs will do ;)

I would say arguably the most iconic watch is a plexi Rolex sub / Oyster - if you had to pick one.

As for vintage, just about every Top Ten and most Top 5 lists would have a Speedy

18. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 6, 2015

You mean....

image.jpg image.jpg
  19. ulackfocus May 6, 2015

I'd certainly agree with that. The name "Rolex" alone puts it into the most recognizable category, and that 40 mm Oyster case has stood the test of time.

That's because it's so easy to include it. I won't argue over the Speedmaster's place in history nor it's longevity. Those are a given and I respect the moonwatch. I just don't like it on my wrist.

ps - I hate those friggin' lists.

Hijak likes this.
  20. lillatroll May 6, 2015

Im with ulackfocus on this one, don t care for them and would put it at the bottom of the pile of omega watches that I would like to own. There are some of them that grab my attention more than others, I like that one that has mars and the moon and earth on it and the new snoopy one looks good but those traditional looking ones to me are just blah blah blah. ::facepalm2:: ( It wouldn t even go on my vintage list unless i picked up the first one for 50p so I could sell it and buy the watches I like)