Forums Latest Members
  1. DJP Dec 6, 2014

I didn't know the hesalite crystals have the omega symbol etched on the underside, that was good to learn as I thought mine was flawed.

Took me a while to actually see the symbol, which has led me to the conclusion that mine is flawed. If you look at the two photos you'll see what I mean:

[​IMG]

You can see the symbol central to the stem of the hands, but you can also see the blemish close to the 'a' in Omega.

The second photo below shows a shadow on the chrono second hand caused by the blemish:

[​IMG]

The flaw has to be on the underside as I cannot feel it, so I guess it's back to the retailer. I only bought it last week and the warranty card was completed in March this year, so I'd like to think there won't be any problems with them sorting it out??

Any thoughts/comments?

2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 6, 2014

Is it a piece of lint or a scratch? In either case that would drive me crazy. I suspect with a loop you could confirm if it is on the inside or out. Would agree, back to the retailer to get this corrected. I don't think there should any issue sorting this with the retailer. If inside they should fix under warranty. if out, perhaps some polywatch.

3. DJP Dec 6, 2014

It's driving me crazy too! The surface seems totally smooth to the touch, which is why I think it's on the inside. We will see!

4. jud Dec 6, 2014

I thought about buying a 10x loop but decided it would drive me crazy looking at my watches that carefully because once you see something like that, you can't "unsee" it. Good luck fixing it, hope it doesn't drive you crazy in the mean time.

5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 6, 2014

LOL, I just got a 40x loop with LED in the mail today. I had a 10x and was able to see some things, but this 40x with LED is flat out amazing. I can see every flaw...

6. ctime3 Dec 6, 2014

That is cool. My brother in law pointed that out to me. I had no idea. I have the same one you do. Great watch no complaints. I think what is most amazing is that when the sun is out in space and down its about a 200 degree give or take difference and the watch survived when it's a different temperature as one looks at and a different temperature on the case back against their spacesuit. And there were no special modifications made to the ones they originally tested.

7. Skv Dec 7, 2014

That would be my advice as well. Ever since i have bought a macro lense and started taking pictures of my vintage watches, most of these watches were sold. You start discovering minor dents, slightly damaged lume, minor scratches on the dial.. All of these things tend to emerge in your mind every single time you take a look at the watch. That made me sell quite some nice pieces. Thus, don't inspect your vibrate watched up too close! :)

8. Skv Dec 7, 2014

Sell it. Right away. It will spoil your watches.

9. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 7, 2014

Too late. I am now going to dwell on the fact that the 9 marker is off by micrometers (or nano meters).

Ok, but seriously, I bought the 40x with LED so I could see the serials and look at general condition. As I age, I just can't the small detail very well. The 10x worked fine, but no LED, so went with the 40x due to the LED and really had no idea how much of a difference there would be with 40 vs 10.

marker 9.PNG

Skv likes this.
  10. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Dec 7, 2014

I'm still trying to see the flaw with the OP's watch. what am I missing?

11. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 7, 2014

12. DJP Dec 7, 2014

Thanks Taddyangle, I wish I knew how to do that! Here's another pic. [​IMG]

I'm sure it's on the underside of the crystal. Hopefully a simple replacement but you know what it's like when something's not quite right, it takes the gloss of the purchase. Fingers crossed the retailer plays and doesn't make life difficult.

I think it's a simple job (for the expert) to replace the hesalite, having only just got the watch I don't really want it sent away for ages. I'd rather get a refund and source another.

13. woodwkr2 Dec 7, 2014

This is a rather easy repair. Plastic crystals scratch quite easily but can be restored with a $10 tube of polywatch or a quick search of the forums for other techniques. You can do this yourself if the scratch is on the outside. If it's on the inside, I'd bring it back to the retailer and request a local repair. It likely doesn't require a full crystal replacement and insisting on one may be both unreasonable and require a longer service time.

This is also not an issue for which a full return/refund would be advised IMHO.

Skv likes this.
  14. DJP Dec 7, 2014

Thanks woodwkr2, I think it's on the inside as I can't feel it. Hopefully the retailer will sort it. I guess it should be covered under the warranty (if inside).

15. Paedipod Dec 7, 2014

might just be my OCD but having the Ω sign rotated 90 degrees would make me more unhappy than the ding on the crystal.::screwloose::

16. Shem Dec 7, 2014

To OP: good luck getting it sorted!

Omega makes no effort to align the (virtually invisible with unaided eyes) Omega sign in the hesalite. It's random. Nothing to OCD over. :p On TRF every now and then someone complains about the screw-down crown not aligning perfectly upright with respect to the case...same thing, they don't even try to do that.

17. Paedipod Dec 8, 2014

AAARGHHH!!!!! RUINED MY DAY......went and looked: straight up on 2, 90 degrees clockwise on a third, and not even there on the last one (going to have a word with somebody.....). Oh well. Gave up on the screw down crowns a while back.............at least my bezels are lined up:(

18. DJP Dec 8, 2014

That shouldn't ruin your day, they are not meant to be aligned so it's not a fault. Unlike the mark I have which certainly ruined my day. Hopefully the retailer will swap the crystal without any fuss...

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 8, 2014

It takes almost no time at all to align the crystal before you press it in. I always do that, because I know the people I work for are picky (as am I).

The crown is a whole different story. If you understand how screw threads work, you will see it would be quite difficult to ensure that a crown symbol lined up with traditional screw threads - people think it's easy, but it's not. There are typically 4 threads involved that would all have to be manufactured and installed within very close tolerances for the thread starting position - there is the thread in the case itself, then the thread on the end of the case tube that goes into the case, then on the other end of the case tube (external or internal depending on design) that the crown threads onto, then the threads inside the crown itself. And in many cases (depending on the crown design) even if they did line it up initially, the gasket at the end of the crown compresses over time from being screwed down, so the alignment would drift...

Cheers, Al

Nesbit likes this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 8, 2014

It's a quick job to change the crystal if they have the right tools. Open case, remove inner cover, remove stem, drop movement out, press crystal out from inside the case, put case in press, align new crystal, press in place, then clean inside of case, install the movement, stem, inner cover, lubricate case back gasket (replace if needed) install case back, and pressure test. Should not take more than 15 minutes tops.