Forums Latest Members

Probably the most stupid question of the year (just before year-end)....

1. Peter_from_NL Dec 30, 2019

Why are people always hiding the last digits of a serial number? Is it because we are thinking it could be stolen? Is it for insurance reasons? I simply do not understand. And in a few minutes I probably feel very stupid after reading the answers......

2. Kargol Dec 30, 2019

To stop people using the number in fake adds

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 30, 2019

Monkey see monkey do.
    No other reason.

I don’t bother
    8DE9D8C9-B46A-463D-8851-201568D45949.jpeg DA76CA7D-5F7C-4547-9FAE-9C5C71100C4E.jpeg A79AD58B-464F-448C-83ED-F4102ADEB7D5.jpeg

Same as LE numbers, I was happy to tell everyone I got #1861 ST1 :D

Kmart, JohnLy, SpeedyPhill and 14 others like this.
  4. Kargol Dec 30, 2019

Posting vintage is OK. Don’t post your brand new expensive watch though.. it’s happened in the past scammers using photos and serials and then disappearing with wired money transfers. The original owners had to prove that the watch was theirs when they brought the watch for service...

5. Wryfox Dec 30, 2019

Not for nothin'....I've seen way stupider questions....:eek:

FWIW, a friend of mine years ago posted an item for sale showing S/N. Someone contacted him and claimed it was stolen and if he doesn't give it back he's calling the cops. Claims he could prove it by the serial number.

It happens.

Edited Dec 30, 2019
    Edward53, kkt, CaptainWinsor and 2 others like this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 30, 2019

Give me one instance of this happening......

wsfarrell and janice&fred like this.
  7. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 30, 2019

While I agree with you, I would also not do it with vintage. A scammer can do the same thing with vintage. And, like the 'time' test, this is also a form of authentication between two people. I keep copies of my pics with SNs blurred out, and without. A scammer, for example, wont be able to provide a movement shot and an extract shot (or papers) with the same SN, if he used shots with those blurred out.

Naturally, like the 'time' test, its up to the buyer to ask for it...

We see scam pics on the net all the time...mostly the eagle eye'd hunters hunting the same watches they sold pick up on when a scammer is selling their watch, using their pics.

8. Kargol Dec 30, 2019

Don’t know names man, but I have read that this has happened in watch and also music instruments forums

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 30, 2019

So scammers use the pictures of the blurred out numbers anyway :whistling:

And still yet to hear of people getting their watch held at service.

last year someone waited awake to midnight to see if their watch changed at 12 o’clock

Andy K, 89-0, sleepingdancer and 3 others like this.
  10. janice&fred Dec 30, 2019

yep same here. i'll take my chances. the world isn't as scary a place as most think.

11. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 30, 2019

Yeah, but they can't upon request send a pic of the same watch/papers etc with full info, or with the time set to a predetermined time.

Not following what you are driving at. Scammers can use all pics, including yours, but its always still caveat emptor to buyers if they don't know who they are dealing with.

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 30, 2019

1) Scammers scam with or without serial # hidden.

2) Even if someone scammed someone with a watch with serial number showing a service centre is not going to hold a watch to get you to prove it’s yours. Which I could anyway.

ConElPueblo, Archer and janice&fred like this.
  13. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 30, 2019

Thats what I said.

Who cares? I don't think (nor did I claim) that a 'service center' gives a hoot.

Also, this is quite an interesting observation :

To me, the bottom line is that I can prove/validate ownership of my watch, and most importantly that nobody else can, regardless of what I am doing with it (i.e. selling it). If I sell a watch, and someone asks me to send them the full info, I am glad to (also as I have a smart, cautious buyer). If a scammer wants to use my pics, he can do it, but hopefully the blurred out SN's etc will stop him in his tracks. If he is smart enough, he wont use my pics...which is what I would like.

To the OP : I hope I have explained clearly why I do it.

Edited Dec 30, 2019
  14. Dan S Dec 30, 2019

As an aside, it's amazing to me how bold some of the scammers are. I remember one verifiable case that where a potential buyer asked a scammer for a particular "time set" photo, and so the scammer contacted the actual seller and asked for that same photo.

15. mac_omega Dec 30, 2019

gave me a good laugh... you are very optimistic at least

89-0, SpikiSpikester and janice&fred like this.
  16. janice&fred Dec 30, 2019

personally i'm considering blurring out entire images of my watches. you know...sorta like those investigative interviews where the interviewee is wearing a wig and disguise with altered voice. one can never be too careful.

89-0, BenBagbag and Dan S like this.
  17. Dan S Dec 30, 2019

Photos? We don't need no stinkin' photos.

DaveK and janice&fred like this.
  18. gefmey Dec 30, 2019

I understand why some people block out part of the serial number, maybe personal preference, maybe just doing a little bit for privacy. What I do not understand is when the serial number is blocked out in photos of the watch, but then appears complete in other accompanying photos, like guarantees, etc. ::bleh::

eugeneandresson likes this.
  19. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 30, 2019

These are the monkeys standy was talking about.

Edward53 likes this.
  20. Faz Dec 30, 2019

I'm with @STANDY . Scammers will try anything regardless of what you do with a serial number. Buyers that use due diligence will avoid any scam. The internet is also your friend. It's quite easy to find out if a scammer is using stolen pictures or serial numbers.