Forums Latest Members
  1. shinnolo Jun 30, 2020

Hello everybody,
    I’m happy and excited to be first time poster here.
    As watch enthusiast, I am extremely happy to have found in the corner of an old piece of furniture what I believe is the first communion gift of my late father.

I have no reason to assume its not original given the source but I think the crown isn’t the original one anymore. On top of that, I browsed into pictures of Seamasters for a couple of days and did not find anyone which is exactly the same, so am wondering whether perhaps the hands have been replaced too.

The watch is not working currently, but from reading into other posts it looks like this kind of watch might get stuck just because the oil got dry. Therefore, I would love to have its strap changed, a little cleaned and the movement oiled.

I can’t wait to have your expert eyes on the pics I took (hope they are good enough) and read your feedbacks!

D07E8BB4-88DB-4EA7-84E7-E7A179C38B38.jpeg 27A5FCB4-5D54-4EC7-85B4-60B6BC2CD777.jpeg A58F3D04-F0BB-4128-9BD4-123D87EC83EB.jpeg E0723309-9BAA-4DDE-95E8-46FDF1994C6F.jpeg
    Duracuir1 likes this.
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 30, 2020

It looks genuine but in addition to the changed crown the dial has been repainted. It’s likely from the early 1960s. It won’t be cheap to get it running unfortunately, it’ll cost nearly as much as it’s worth, possibly more even. It might be something like a 125.0007

Edited Jun 30, 2020
    felsby, Benbradstock, Dan S and 2 others like this.
  3. shinnolo Jun 30, 2020

Many thanks, padders!

Assuming isn’t worth thousand of [add here the currency you like, I’d just say Swiss Francs as it’s my country’s currency], as I said it’s from my late father so I would be happy to having it running and wearing it even if it’d cost a few hundreds Swiss Francs.

You imply it’s a Seamaster 30, then? The hands really look like the 30, but the missing of the number 30 drove me away from considering it so.
    Why would you think the dial was repainted?

I believe I’d look into bringing back at the original condition, so what actions would you suggest?
    I would ask for:
    - replacing the crown with an original Omega
    - fixing the movement
    - from a few pictures I saw of other Seamaster 30, the buckle of the leather strap has the Omega logo as well. Would you recommend to get one?

4. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Jun 30, 2020

Because the font used is wrong

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 30, 2020

It looks to be an early 1960s SM using the one of the 30mm movement variants (eg 269) but whether it originally had the 30 on the dial, who can tell, maybe it was changed when it was repainted, or maybe it was never there. There are other models using similar cases so it might not be a SM30. If you get the back taken off you will be able to check the actual case number. It may be 125.XXX if it is post 1962, but it may be a 5 digit code if it is 1960-62. If you want to put it back to near original yes you can change the crown, but finding a dial will be harder. Though the redial kills collector appeal, you could just treat it as part of the piece's history. Yes you can find original buckles and plenty of fakes on ebay that look pretty much the same but it wouldn't bother me personally.

Yes I would think you could get it running and looking good for a few hundred CHFs or Euros.

Edited Jun 30, 2020
    Benbradstock, wagudc and shinnolo like this.
  6. Davidt Jun 30, 2020

If it was mine, first action would be to get it opened by a watchmaker to see what the reference no and calibre are and go from there...

89-0 and wagudc like this.
  7. shinnolo Jun 30, 2020

I will definitely do it and come to this page to update all of you.

Many thanks for now!

wagudc likes this.
  8. Socks Jun 30, 2020

Font, alignment, text spacing... Also the minute indices. Started off alright, going well to 30, then it all goes a bit wrong in the home straight. A bit like a 400m hurdler (we can't all be Edwin Moses!)

But if the watch is important to you, don't let it stop you getting it up & running, and leave it looking as you found it. Why change it again!

kev1976t and wagudc like this.
  9. shinnolo Jun 30, 2020

Yes, I see where you’re coming from... however looking at it I was a bit disturbed by seeing all these misalignments, but I thought it was because of “lower quality” of old times.
    I will try and see what a local watchmaker suggests. At the end of the day I happen to live in the homeland of watches...

wagudc likes this.
  10. shinnolo Jul 1, 2020

Hi,

Here I am again.
    Taken to an Omega reseller today, who opened it and let me take this picture.
    The watch is now being shipped to Bienne for assessing what is needed to be done and proposed further actions.

I will have a feedback in 2-4 weeks.

E0697866-6404-49E1-94A4-1D14F5FA2078.jpeg
    Benbradstock likes this.
  11. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 1, 2020

As I thought, 30mm movement, in this case the 268. The serial looks to be 1961-2. Did you get a picture of the inside of the caseback? That’s where the case number is.

Edited Jul 1, 2020
  12. shinnolo Jul 1, 2020

I did not take any pictures of the case back as I didn’t spot any number on it. But it was a couple of meters far from me and I might have missed something...

I assume the proposal from Omega will include all the details, so we will have a clearer picture then.

I also mentioned I wanted a leather strap with the “vintage” buckle, which looks to be available.

Keep you posted,

Benbradstock likes this.
  13. SkunkPrince Jul 1, 2020

Since you are in Switzerland, you are in the right place to get it restored.

Since so much on it is bad, and it was your fathers, they can restore it best they can to as-new. It won't be inexpensive but it will be a factory restoration, so it will be closer than most others can get it to as-new appearance. Be prepared to be told the cost is more than the watch is "worth", but don't let that interfere with your decision, sentimental value means a lot and many of us appreciate that. For example, I restored some trumpets for three to four times as much as they were worth. One was my grandfather's, and others I played often.

Benbradstock, apsm100, kip595 and 3 others like this.
  14. wilderbeast Jul 1, 2020

Redialling was far more common (and an accepted way of handling an otherwise working watch when the dial lost its looks) in previous generations than it is seen now. The redial is part of the watch's history - it’s just a shame that it’s not one of the better ones. There are lots of options for going forward and only you can make that decision. But it’s likely that a couple of hundred spent servicing it will mean you can wear it without worry.

Benbradstock and shinnolo like this.
  15. shinnolo Jul 1, 2020

Would you stick to the idea of keeping that dial even if it’s quite disturbing in the way it’s been repainted?

16. shinnolo Jul 1, 2020

I agree, I would not take any decision on the cost-value rationale. Of course I wouldn’t spend an insane amount of money but luckily I can set the ‘insane’ level rather high...

17. SkunkPrince Jul 1, 2020

I've replaced a bad redial with a better redial and I do not regret it. "It's only original once" is the common saying here, and that's true. Redialing is usually not the most expensive part of servicing.

Benbradstock likes this.
  18. shinnolo Aug 28, 2020

Hi there,
    Yesterday my watch came back... it looks like an almost new watch. Super classy and stylish.
    The total bill was in the high three digit range but am totally happy with the final result.
    Have a look!

3DF53E60-6088-4923-AAC8-3735BC7A64BC.jpeg 4074DFFD-4F97-471E-AC11-3B0E21CF24CC.jpeg 7B3AD9AB-AF34-4AF7-A9E5-DE836A4BE122.jpeg A7CEEF3A-7AC3-47F0-82EE-6C546EAFD3E7.jpeg
    mozartman, felsby, ALinares and 2 others like this.
  19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 28, 2020

Do you have any documentation from Omega Switzerland stating what was done to your watch?

Benbradstock and DaveK like this.
  20. shinnolo Aug 28, 2020

Yessir. I’ve been also given the replaced parts.

I don’t have the list here, but it include:
    - cleaning the movement
    - changing a few parts to the movement
    - replacing hands, glass, crown

The dial is the “original” one (meaning they did not replace it, leaving the repainted on) and the water resistance isn’t guaranteed and hence advices against putting it in contact with water.

janice&fred likes this.