Forums Latest Members
  1. arkstfan Dec 9, 2015

Skimming chron24 I see what seems to be an unusual quantity of low priced Omegas out of Spain. By that I mean sub $1000 watches. Again just skimming not seeing anything that looks wrong and prices look about right. Just curious if there is some reason that it is a bit of balance. I realize that if these watches entered Spain during the Franco era direct from Omega that they would have been the lower priced watches and more affordable and maybe held on to longer and more carefully if it were a more difficult purchase. I suppose it might also reflect collecting being more common among more people.

Just curious if it is a thing or just a quirk of where the site is popular.

dragoman likes this.
  2. Canuck Dec 9, 2015

If you had a particular watch in mind, posting a picture might help those in the know express an opinion as to whether it is for real. But it seems to me as though it might be difficult to make comments that would apply across the board on every watch that is offered out of Spain.

3. arkstfan Dec 9, 2015

No just noticed that ratio of what I'd call starter watches for lack of a term from Spain seemed out of whack given population and size of economy. Nice looking, properly aged, look well cared for, maybe a few too polished.

For example Spain has about 2/3rds the population of the U.K. But just dashing through about 15x more watches offered, Finland with a very small population well represented as well.

Just wondering if it is an issue of popularity of collecting or just a quirk that the site caught on in some places and not others.

4. Canuck Dec 9, 2015

I don't frequent the on line auctions, generally. But while searching for a part for a vintage watch of mine, recently, I happened to browse through current listings on one particular on line auction. I don't know the source countries for the watches listed, but I will say that I came away quite discouraged when I saw the prices. I don't sell watches, and that sure isn't likely to change, at those prices! I don't know if depressed prices are a world wide phenomenon. But from what you are saying, it seems it might be that way in Spain as well.

5. arkstfan Dec 10, 2015

People used to "read Playboy for the articles". I look at sales sites "for the pictures"
    I wouldn't have noticed country of origin if it hadn't been Spain. Daughter is doing a 13 week study abroad in Spain next semester and my wife thinks we need to pop over and check on her :)

6. dragoman Dec 10, 2015

Actually, they are bad omen watches.

People in Spain made very bad things with them, and so they are cursed, that's why they are cheap.

It is bad ju-ju to buy cheap Spanish watches.

Now, seriously, in Spain vintage watches are just regarded as an old and beaten el cheapo alternative to proper new watches, and even watch aficionados would have second thoughts about buying a second hand watch without papers. That is why you may find, from time to time, certain bargains here, and that is why we make vodoo things when funny speaking people take our watches from us, paying ridiculous prices at auctions.

And sometimes they (the watches) are awkward. Don't ask me what is this,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

but it went (as a bundle, box, two straps and the strange black Seamaster piepan) for 450 EUR last month...

... but I wouldn't touch it with a ten feet pole. They are jinxed, I am telling you, all of them are jinxed.

arkstfan likes this.