Forums Latest Members
  1. Wendy Oct 8, 2014

My husband has been in possession of a Seamaster wrist watch for the past 35+ years. He was told it was presented to his uncle upon his retirement from the military. Hoever, the word " Seamaster " is printed and not script as I have seen in ALL pictures. He phoned the local jeweller who does appraisals and he seems to think it might be a first edition? Has anyone seen such a watch and approximate value? 10632817_10152736424015482_5584725132930141783_n.jpg

2. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Oct 8, 2014

Looks like this dial has been re-finished at some point (rather bad I may add) and re-lumed... as far as value, its probably worth as a parts watch so not much. Hope this helps.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 8, 2014

To give you any kind of value we really need to see better pictures of the watch, front, back, inside and inside of back cover.
    What I can tell you now is the dial has been refinished. This could have been done with or without your husband's uncle's knowledge as some watchmakers did this without informing the owner. This explains your "Seamaster" script.

4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 8, 2014

Hi Wendy and welcome to the forum!

We would love to see more pictures, especially of the inside workings (movement) and the inside of the caseback.

I firmly believe that at some point in time, the dial was repainted, as not only is the Seamaster non-conforming, but so is the "SWISS MADE" and the luminous dots appear too fresh for what I believe is a watch from the '50's.

Is it possible the Uncle had a watchmaker service it at some time?
    It was a common practice to "freshen up" the dial which is a no-no to a collector, and this dial appears very "fresh"

Unless it happens to be solid gold, which the inside caseback or any hallmarks would tell us, or it happens to be some kind of first edition, which I feel is totally impossible, the value is not that great.

We need those photo's, but a redialed, gold filled bumper (automatic) would only be worth a couple of hundred and would probably cost $150 to get serviced for use assuming no major problems.

Having said that, with a nice $40 leather strap and a service, you would have a great looking vintage watch that would last for many years!

And it was the Uncle's!

Unfortunately, collectors avoid redials and would not be enamored with the block lettered Seamaster.

Thanks for joining us.

5. Wendy Oct 8, 2014

Thanks for the input! Any work would have been done prior to 1980 as it has been in his nightstand since then. He never has much luck wearing watches but will post pictures when he gets it opened!