Forums Latest Members

Price of rectifying an defective Speedmaster Moonwatch Chrono second hand

1. Ivan009 Feb 14, 2016

Good day,

I am interested in purchasing a Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch, Calibre 1861 in a online auction. However, the watch's chronograph second hand does not align at dead center, the "12 o'clock" position when reset. It's significantly drifted to one side.

I have emailed my local Omega Servicing Centre on this and request them to provide for a quote estimation. However, they replied back that the servicing cost of a full overhaul will costs US$1006 (conversion from local currency) but that doesn't cover parts replacement. They advise me to bring the watch in for an accurate quote. Of course, I cant do this as I have yet to purchase the watch.

Any one has any experience or knowledge on this matter? I am interested to acquire the watch and send in for a full service, however am wary on paying for a larger repair bill than stated in the service costs.

Thank you.

Regards
    Ivan

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 14, 2016

Find a independent Omega watchmaker and get a quote from them.

A Omega service centre is always going to be a lot more and not as sympathetic to keeping the vintage appeal and value of a Speedmaster.
    Several threads on this over the last few months. Spend a bit of time on here and do a search on Speedmaster and you will learn a lot in a short time.

What country are you in as someone might point you to a capable watchmaker.

3. Ivan009 Feb 15, 2016

Thank you for your advice. I am in Singapore.
    As the watch is less than 10 years old, I figure that Omega Service Center should have all the original authentic parts for the watch.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 15, 2016

So would a independent watchmaker with a Omega parts account..

Ivan009 likes this.
  5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 15, 2016

If the hand has slipped, shouldn't cost a lot to realign. Given the watch's age though, you might consider a full service. Prices vary a lot, but many qualified independents will charge half (or less) the quote you've received from Omega.

If you haven't bought the watch yet, you should factor in the cost of that service.

6. g-boac Feb 15, 2016

Hello Ivan - this is a watch to pass on. You're buying a <10 year old watch, with issues unknown, that at the very minimum requires a full service. The numbers add up to one thing: buying a brand new watch, of which you are the original owner, with full boxes, papers, and Omega warranty.

Or pursuing another nicely used one of the same period, with zero issues. Without exaggeration, there are hundreds of thousands in the world, if not millions. And on any given day, probably between half dozen to one doze, immediately available for purchase from this forum.

7. Perseus Feb 23, 2016

I'm guessing the auction has ended by now, but my recommendation when buying a used watch is to factor in the cost of a service into the purchase price unless you know the service history.

Did you get the watch?