Forums Latest Members

[Price check] 70s Longines Automatic with Calibre 890

1. ahmadulhoq Jul 3, 2017

Hi guys, I'm quite new to vintage watches, therefore I do not have any experience in the prices of vintage Longines watches. Recently I've come across this vintage Longines on Chrono24 and I'm interested in buying this.

Can anyone please help by guiding me if the price is good or not?

Thank you guys! :)

2. argonbeam Jul 3, 2017

Looks completely legitimate. The cal 890 movement is fairly rare, as it replaced the ultrachron line but was itself soon replaced by the 99x series with a different barrel setup. Although NOS, would probably have it serviced (I can't read enough Italian to tell if they have done this), which will set you back a bit for this movement. In terms of price, that is really up to you. I would recommend searching Ebay for other Longines to get an idea of what's available in that price range and seeing what else you might like. I can tell that across the board the prices seem to be higher than they were a year ago. As far as an Italian seller, Longines are quite popular there and I have had two great purchases from Italian sellers.

3. ahmadulhoq Jul 4, 2017

Thank you so much for the insight on the movement.

The watch has been serviced and they will give me 12 months warranty for the watch's timekeeping. I've tried finding other listings on eBay but the prices fluctuate a lot. Chrono24 has another listing for the same watch but with bracelet and mint condition for about 600 USD more than this one.

I guess I will be taking this one! :)

STANDY likes this.
  4. argonbeam Jul 7, 2017

I have found Chrono24 prices to be overly optimistic, but my opinion of course, as I tend to be a bottom-feeder scooping up a few choice morsels from the ebay pond along with a lot of worthless slime. The watch you're interested in is quite good-looking and the 890 movement is a selling point for me, but make sure you have access to a decent watchmaker to service it. I don't own this particular movement, as I went with 99x series for their thinness insteady, but given its scarcity, sourcing certain parts may be a bit of a chore. However, as a NOS watch, if you handle it well and have it serviced every few years, should last a very long time, as these movements were well built.

ahmadulhoq likes this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 7, 2017

Not a bad price for its condition.
    Have a similar era/age one in blue

image.jpeg

argonbeam and ahmadulhoq like this.
  6. ahmadulhoq Jul 12, 2017

Thanks gents, received the beauty 2 days ago. The condition is great and it's running great!

IMG_20170710_235247.jpg

argonbeam likes this.