Forums Latest Members

Price adjustment for damage?

1. MrBrownstone Mar 17, 2019

I’ve been lurking on here a while but this is my first post, and I’ve found this forum to be extremely informative for my “dive” into Omegas (terrible pun intended). I’ve had my eye on a titanium Seamaster 300MC and was hoping to get some assistance on determining a fair price for the following piece or even evaluating whether it’s a good idea to purchase or not.

The watch was originally purchased in Jan 2015 and received maintenance service in Feb 2018. It comes with full kit, box, papers, etc. and is on its second owner. Aside from some normal marks on the bracelet, there are two small marks that warrant some concern: 1 on the bezel and 1 on the crystal. I was told neither feel like indentations and are hard to see unless captured in certain lighting (see photos). Given this, what are people’s thoughts on a fair price for the watch and if it’s even worth considering given the marks? I have seen that better,
    near mint versions of this watch have gone for about $4,000 on both this forum and others. Any insight is most appreciated!

55704CB6-BF9B-4696-8674-86BCC44E20C3.jpeg 0781F9D4-FB95-48BD-BC06-BDFE2916EFB8.jpeg
  2. alam Mar 17, 2019

$4K minus the repair cost to replace the crystal? ::confused2::

3. TDBK Mar 17, 2019

Given that you can buy a NIB one from Jomashop for $4,250, I think you can count down from there. Looking at eBay, I'm guessing you can get one with a full set in reasonable shape for $3,500 or so. If you're planning on wearing it, you'll probably put some marks on it before long, so how much is it worth if someone else took a bit of a head-start for you?

connieseamaster likes this.
  4. FlyingSnoopy Mar 17, 2019

Definitely the cost of the crystal should be deducted and an adjustment for the bezel...
    Cheers

5. MrBrownstone Mar 17, 2019

Appreciate all the feedback! The cost of the crystal for sure, but it’s the bezel adjustment that is hanging me up. @TDBK , the model I am looking at is the titanium, not the SS which is what you priced out from Joma. I haven’t seen this new in the gray market for anywhere lower than the upper 5’s; if I had, we probably wouldn’t be having this discussion ;)

TDBK likes this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 17, 2019

It’s a second hand tool watch that is over 4 years old. Expect marks.
    I myself think your being hard expecting new but not buying new.

What price is it offered to you for ?

7. Donn Chambers Mar 18, 2019

I suspect neither of these marks is really a serious blemish. The mark on the bezel is very likely a transfer of material and not a true scratch - these ceramic bezels don’t scratch easily. See this thread on how easy it is to get rid of those marks.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/erasing-marks-on-a-ceramic-bezel-insert.89508/

The mark on the crystal is probably just a scratch in the anti-reflective coating. Again, this isn’t a big deal to me, and something I’d expect under normal wear and tear for a nearly 4-year-old watch.

MrBrownstone likes this.
  8. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 18, 2019

I think you are expecting a lot but then again you haven’t stated the price you have been offered it. You have said “near mint” sell for 4K so I would have thought you might use these minor blemishes as leverage to try to get as far below that as possible but it is a used watch after all and you need to expect some evidence of this if you are not paying top dollar and the marks are not that serious in my mind.

9. MrBrownstone Mar 18, 2019

Thanks for the feedback. Price being offered is at $4,000, but neither of us are in a rush and are going to revisit after Basel and the Swatch event. I don’t mind the marks nor expect a new watch, but my concern more so was to obtain a fair market value price taking into consideration the other sales I have been able to find sold at this same price but in completely clean condition. There is still some wiggle room on the seller’s end as well, and if the watch was in the same condition as the others, I wouldn’t think twice about buying at the asking price.

Having said that, all the responses have definitely helped to put things in perspective, and I again appreciate all the help!