Forums Latest Members

Pressure Testing Pre-Owned Dive Watch

1. Hands90 Apr 8, 2018

When I first received a pre-owned sub I thought twice before taking it with me in the pool. I looked around to get a pressure test somewhere in New York and it was actually more difficult than I thought it would be. I sure as hell wasn't going to wait an hour at the RSC.

Now I have an INCOMING
    Doxa 1500t Pro. The Doxa goes down to 1500 feet.

I know this stupid question gets brought up about pressure testing and I'm that guy.

The Doxa is from 2014. I've been told it was not used that often. Since the Doxa has such a high depth rating it goes without saying that water would less likely get into the case when compared to en entry level diver at 200m. (I know Rolex uses a special system on the crown but it's still 200m).

Am I wrong?
    Should I get the watch pressure tested or for 1500 feet watch I should be alright.

Anyone have a simple easy to read guide about pressure testing and how it works/mostly what happens if a watch fails?

I can explain how a chronograph works and resets but I don't know how pressure testing works.
    I'm an idiot what do you want from me.

Should I get this guy pressure tested before using/ swimming / or if I take it on a dive.

This angers me to

main-qimg-bf6feee7012fe68c2cbf06cf5c401316-c.jpeg
  2. 77deluxe Apr 8, 2018

If you’re just swimming (not diving) I wouldn’t worry about it. If you’re gonna dive, check it yearly.

Edited Apr 8, 2018
  3. proximal Apr 8, 2018

4. larryganz The cable guy Apr 8, 2018

@Archer says this about the gaskets- they either work and it's still sealed and water resistant, or it's not, there is no in between.

watch3s and Hands90 like this.
  5. Hands90 Apr 8, 2018

Edited Apr 8, 2018
  6. michael22 Apr 9, 2018

I would get it tested. O rings can perish over a time period, use isn't required.

watch3s likes this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 9, 2018

Swimming, diving whatever every 2 years no matter what in my book.

Depth rating doesn't mean anything different. A 400m watch is not going to last water resistant longer than a 100m watch.

If I bought a 4 year old watch I would still get it pressure tested before swimming

Until they don't. No set answer

Have had many diving watches and never had a problem with my two year rule.

Have a 1000m Certina and it still gets done every two years.

Have two 200m and they are both Quartz and get pressure tested and battery changed every two years ( if battery needed or not )

image.jpeg

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 9, 2018

The idea that the water resistance in a watch rated for a greater depth will somehow outlast the water resistance in a lesser rated watch, is why I end up seeing a lot of watches like this one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this one:

[​IMG]

I could go on...

The real difference between watches rated for different depths is mostly the structure of the watch as I noted in one of the threads listed above. For example the case back O-ring for the Speedmaster Pro that is rated for 50m water resistance, is also used in many other watches (over 400 Omega models use this same seal), and many of these are dive watches rated for 300 meters.

Doesn't matter what the watch is rated for, the seals will still fail, and they should still be tested regularly no matter what depth you are going to.

Cheers, Al

alam, Kmart, watch3s and 2 others like this.
  9. Hands90 Apr 9, 2018

Archer. Thank YOU!

I've posted on a couple watch forums and you are easily the most help I've come across. You also terrified me.
    Looks like I'll try to get my watch tested/have the seals replaced. This is common? To ask watch makers to simply just replace them. The watch is from 2014 so it's nearly 4 years old.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 9, 2018

To summarize I drew up a handy chart that explains the difference between belief and reality...specific engineering terms used are due to me watching a number of videos by AvE on YouTube lately.;)

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

Caliber561, kkt, neilfrancis and 9 others like this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 9, 2018

If a watchmaker is willing to just replace the seals without doing it as part of a full service is up to them individually.

For most modern watches, seals are replaced as part of routine service, and the frequency of that is approx. every 5 years in theory.

There was a time when I serviced a lot of Doxa watches, both vintage and modern. In my experience they tended to use gaskets that were odd sizes for the case back - this meant you could not always get a generic O-ring and swap them easily, so I ended up ordering gaskets from Doxa, as well as crowns and case tubes. I just checked and I have gaskets in stock for the 300T, 600T, 750T, and 1000T, but not the 1500, so I can't tell you what the right size is or if your watchmaker would have to order them from Doxa or not. The positive here is that in my experience anyway, Doxa has been willing to sell parts - not cheap but they do sell them where many companies won't.

For the crown area, there are typically 2 gaskets needed - one small O-ring inside the case tube, and one flat seal inside the crown. I can't say for sure if the 1500 uses the same system, but that is what was common on the other models I have mentioned. Again I didn't get those gaskets separately, but they came with the crown and case tubes that I ordered.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

Hands90 likes this.
  12. Hands90 Apr 9, 2018

Called the first place in New York and got chewed out on the phone that if they replace the gaskets without going a service that I'm wasting time and money for they will just need to service the watch in a year or two.

I asked if I want to waste my time and money would they do it. He was not happy that I asked. I'm not going to get a full service on the watch. It's in fantastic shape (or so I'm told). I'm a guy wearing a 30+ year Speedy that has not been serviced. (Don't hate me).

I'm going to keep calling. Maybe I should have asked just for a pressure test but after reading everything it sounds like I should get a service or have the o rings changed. I really don't want to pay $500 + for a full service on a watch running cosc spec.

13. jason10mm Apr 9, 2018

Our of curiosity, Archer, what should someone do if they find themselves with a steamed watch? Pop off the back so stuff can dry out? Put it in an oven at a low temp? Bag of rice? I imagine this happens a lot on vacation and it could be a while before the watch could get to a watchmaker for repair.

tikkathree likes this.
  14. tikkathree Apr 9, 2018

These photos are precisely why I want to get my Seamaster Pro 300 serviced/seals replaced/pressure tested before taking the watch into the shower with me or standing out in the rain.

A £30 Vostok I'd gladly strip and reseal myself but I know my limitations. My limitation is that if I drench a Vostok movement I buy a replacement and fit it myself for about £20. If the dial stains it'll be "patina" or I'll replace it.
    If I drench my Omega quartz movement I'm going to cry a lot.

15. larryganz The cable guy Apr 10, 2018

I paid the watchmaker at Ben Bridge jewelers to seal my GMT II Coke a little over a year after it's last service. The crystal gasket was leaking on my "slightly greater than every 12 months" pressure test, and for under $100 he replaced the crystal gasket, caseback gasket, and the 2 crown gaskets.

Hands90 and watch3s like this.
  16. Hands90 Apr 10, 2018

I finally found someone in NYC who quoted me $45 so I'm happy.

Thanks again for the help. Looks like this will be a yearly thing for me once I start diving.

kkt likes this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 10, 2018

Please make sure that the scope of work includes changing all the seals, and ask them to give you the old seals back.

jetkins and STANDY like this.
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 10, 2018

$45 sounds like a pressure test only

19. Hands90 Apr 10, 2018

Thanks glad I'm reading this. I know you should always ask for old parts back. This is a good way to know they did all the seals
    Thanks for the advice

This is what they said.

Water pressure test and new gaskets: $45

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 9, 2018, at 3:51 PM, mail wrote:
    Instant Quote

Name: XXXX YYYYYYYY

E-mail: Email

Phone Number: 5555558241

I have a Doxa 1500T Pro from 2014 that I would like to have pressure tested and possible have the gaskets replaced.

Best,
    XXX YYYYY

20. Hands90 Apr 10, 2018

TDBK likes this.