Forums Latest Members

Pressure testing a "Watchco" SM300

1. duc Sep 9, 2016

We do a lot of pressure testing of industrial systems and use a digital pressure gauge. The beauty of it is that we don't have to worry about the full range scale being too high or low for the system pressure we are testing. The digital gauges use piezoelectric crystals, so they are accurate along the full range (0 - 5000psi in our case). If it matters to you, the cost is pretty low ($300 or $400 US).

From what I see though, if I were you, I would not bother with the digital.

Thanks for posting. The geek in me loves this stuff.

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 9, 2016

Thanks, and glad you enjoyed it.

I used to be an engineer (still am I guess, just have a different day job), and have bought hundreds of pressure gauges in my 23 years doing that, so yes I understand how all this works and what's available on the market. And I agree, anything more accurate is just not warranted for this application. As noted, the unit I use is specifically approved by Omega, so if they aren't concerned about this, neither am I. There's plenty of safety factor built into the watches and the test procedures to cover gauge errors.

Compared to the systems I used to design and work on, this is very crude work.

Cheers, Al

3. duc Sep 9, 2016

I'm guessing here, but I think this might apply to you (not my photo BTW):

Eng.jpg

akshayluc420 and Jwit like this.
  4. ScubaPro Actually dives with dive watches!!! Sep 9, 2016

Does anyone know why Omega called it the Seamaster 300 when it was only rated to 200 meters?

5. Stas Sep 12, 2016

Wow! Thank you do much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. cdsdss Sep 12, 2016

Interesting process. Thanks for sharing this.

7. rollingrevolver Sep 13, 2016

fantastic post! thanks very much for sharing - I enjoyed it very much.

8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 13, 2016

See, here I was thinking a "manometer" measured how much of a man Al was!

McKnife, MedicMike, yande and 2 others like this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 13, 2016

I need that shirt - then I can wear it when one of my "artsy" friends come over wearing his favourite shirt...

[​IMG]

:thumbsup:

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 13, 2016

@Archer this may sound like an odd question but have you ever / often for curiosity sake pushed a case beyond its limits intentional to failure to see when / where that failure occurs? Like taking a sealed but empty SM300 and going above the 25%, and continuing until either the crystal caseback or crown finally goes pop?

McKnife likes this.
  11. rcs914 Sep 13, 2016

Probably a lot more cost effective to do it with a Seiko...

MedicMike, citizenrich and kkt like this.
  12. KstateSkier Sep 13, 2016

Wow this is very impressive. I always wondered how this testing was done. Thanks @Archer you're such an asset to this forum.

citizenrich and watch3s like this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 13, 2016

Yes...that is an odd question. Any time you want to provide a case for testing, I will perform the test and thoroughly document the results for the forum. :)

dahle, Als 27, Tony and 3 others like this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 13, 2016

That was actually going to be my next question, what would be a representative case to use... We might take you up on that some time if you'd be willing to video the results, it'd be pretty cool to see.

Jwit likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 13, 2016

Representative of what - testing a SM300? Not sure I can think of a good analog off the top of my head...

I am certainly willing to do the test and take a video of it....

16. rcs914 Sep 13, 2016

I guess from my perspective I wouldn't mind seeing just how far a Seiko SKX007 could be pushed - but I don't have a donor one ;-)

watch3s likes this.
  17. Baco Noir Sep 13, 2016

Al - IIRC, when you pressure tested the SM300 you built for me, I believe I recall (and I may be wrong) that you saw some deflection in the crystal or caseback that cause the second hand to stop, but that there was no water infiltration. I seem to recall you saying that you had seen that one other time but that it did not affect the pressure test or the operation of the watch under normal parameters. Does that sound correct?

18. davidswiss Sep 20, 2016

Thanks for this Archer.
    Was the test made on a watchco made in Oz/NZ or one you put together yourself ?
    I ask because I'll be picking up my Oz/NZ made version next month and this was the first test I wanted done as soon as I picked it up. I now wonder if it needs it. I wont be diving but it will certainly get wet swimming and hopefully kayaking.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 20, 2016

All these use the same cases, so who assembles it should not matter. I would ask the vendor if they have pressure tested it, how they did it, and to what pressure(s) they tested it to...

I would at least want a test in a dry testing machine to verify it was assembled correctly.

davidswiss likes this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 20, 2016

Sorry just saw this - I can't remember. I know I have had watches stop due to deflection when testing, but I can't recall if it was one of these or not.

Cheers, Al