Forums Latest Members

Presentation of my Longines 13ZN-12

1. io8194 Oct 1, 2016

Edited Oct 2, 2016
    Warthog, Vitezi, ConElPueblo and 13 others like this.
  2. Scepticalist Oct 1, 2016

Lovely! Longines produced some really great pieces at one time - where did it all go wrong?

3. JohnSteed Oct 1, 2016

Its dope!!! I like it.

Column wheel chronos get me every time. Quick question looking at the open movement...Is the raised spacer high for a specific reason?

Thanks! HAGWE too

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 1, 2016

Holy macaroni, Fred, I braced myself for something overwhelming as soon as I read the words "sommatore centrale" - but for me the kicker is to see it on a woman's wrist ! Wow. (Of course I'm biased because I'm a woman too, it's great to see this being modeled by one.)
    May I ask how long you have had it? (talking about O&P, didn't you post it there some time ago ? I think I saw it there).

Thanks for sharing those magnificent pictures.
    Cheers,
    S

And PS, I probably would have to sell my house, but just for the heck of it I'll say DIBS! (I'm sure many Italian collectors are already first in line if you've already posted it).

5. minutenrohr Oct 1, 2016

...one of my grail watches as well. But i never get one with an original dial. congratulations + rgds - h.u.

6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 1, 2016

Applogies to OP as this may end up a major thread drift (not to detract from your stupendous 13ZN) but it's an interesting question I've pondered as I'm sure others have.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like what happened to Longines is that despite making great watches until the quartz crisis, I've never heard about any major patent or invention to its credit after the second world war.

While Longines in the 1920s-1930s worked with aviation heroes such as Philip Van Horn Weems or Lindbergh to create groundbreaking inventions which were patented in the 30s, if you look at aviation history after WWII it was Breitling who as far as I know obtained aviation related patents (and partnerships with AOPA for example), while other companies like Blancpain (with support from Lip) and then Rolex developed the modern dive watches (Blancpain Fifty Fathoms in 1953, followed closely by Rolex submariner). And then of course Omega managed to get themselves to the moon.
    So it seems to me Longines suffered from the ailment of major companies that from the top of their glory stop inventing, and become overtaken by agressive and creative competitors who keep pushing the boundaries of innovation.
    There is a logic behind Swatch's choice to boost Longines's "heritage"....

That won't stop Longines from being hands down my favorite watch brand...

Edited Oct 1, 2016
    Warthog, Vitezi, dodo44 and 1 other person like this.
  7. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Oct 1, 2016

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures.

8. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 1, 2016

a beauty!!

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 1, 2016

WOW, really nice!

10. Civic4982 Oct 1, 2016

What a looker!!! Must have been quite a hunt to find such an original example.