Forums Latest Members

Preparing A Watch For Sale

1. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 17, 2015

Hey guys,

What are the right things to do before listing a watch for sale? A light clean of the case? Anything else?

When it comes to servicing, since common wisdom is to factor in a service when buying a pre-owned watch, is there any point it having it in to the shop before it goes up for sale? Is that something best left to the buyer, or would it improve sales prospects if you can prove it has been to the shop? Is a receipt for a service enough?

Anything else that one should consider?

Thanks, as always!

J

iplus likes this.
  2. Mothra Jan 17, 2015

I don't think you'd see full value back from a service from most buyers and a lot of people would want it looked at by their own watchmaker anyway, so id clean and take the best photos I can.

One thing I learned when seeing a watch I'd sold a few weeks earlier go for double what I got is think about showing a wristshot of the watch in it's natural environment - for example for a dress watch a shot with jacket and cuffs seems to help buyers imagine the watch as theirs.

3. Tritium Jan 17, 2015

I'd say a light clean, good pictures and proper description. Then keep it on the box ready for the sale.

Regarding the service, it deppends on the specific watch you want to sell and the price you have in mind. It can make the sale more attractive or increase the price to an undessired level.

cicindela likes this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 18, 2015

As above................. and PM me with picture's and a price before anything goes up :whistling: (so i can proof read you add);)

5. SeanO Jan 18, 2015

as above,

careful clean and good photo's in honest light.

6. Shem Jan 18, 2015

Make sure you delete all your personal data...oh wait, watches... :p

Before I list a watch for sale, I always carefully and thoroughly clean it with Veraet so it sparkles like new, and more importantly, so my photos will show the watch as it is "in the metal" and no scratches or hairlines will be obscured by any fingerprints etc. I never want someone buying a watch from me to be surprised by the condition -- buyers should always know exactly what they're getting. After cleaning, the watch is placed carefully and securely in its box with any necessary padding for shipment, and generally the next person to open it is the buyer.

7. Shem Jan 18, 2015

Also, I've never sold a watch that needed immediate service (e.g. running outside of spec), but I have sold watches that may have been due for service in terms of years and the manufacturer's recommendations (I had no service history from the previous owner). If I had no service history for a watch, but it was running within Omega's specs including balance amplitude as checked by the Boutique, I simply stated such. I wouldn't service a watch before sale unless it was running outside of spec.