Forums Latest Members

Premium (value) of box and papers for 145.022 pre moon

1. thejerseyrock Nov 25, 2015

Anyone have an estimate / range of the value of box and papers coming with a speedy 145.022 pre moon in good condition? thanks

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 25, 2015

3. abrod520 Nov 25, 2015

That Speedmaster looks wonderful but the lume on the hands matches the dial just a bit too well. Besides, even if it's original, it's only worth about 2/3rds the asking price - on a good day (the best day ever really)

4. thejerseyrock Nov 25, 2015

Thank you for the reply. Im taking a guess that "collector" means box and papers, but unless i missed it, that wasn't specified. If the difference between "good" and "collector" is box and papers according to that chart that is a huge premium from $3500 to $6000 ($2500 for the box …. which you can't wear, LOL). But I'm unclear if thats what this price chart implied. If anyone has any other clarifications, that is much appreciated. thanks!

5. thejerseyrock Nov 25, 2015

I didn't link to a listing or post a photo. You must either be psychic or you follow the for sale listings quite closely, lol!

Another question is, how can you know (for sure) a dial was relumed? no way for sure? Or do you just trust your gut that a watch 48 years old, if it looks just a bit too perfect, must have been touched up along the way? FWIW, I own a 145.012 and the hour markers are creamy, the chrono hand is brown and the hour and minute hands are dark brown, almost greenish, so its not a perfect match, but does have nice vintage looks.

6. abrod520 Nov 25, 2015

I see everything....
    Nah, it popped up on my radar and I think a couple others have been discussing it here ;)

I've got a 145.012 myself that sounds fairly similar to yours! And yes - lume on hands tends to age differently from dials in most (but not all) cases. In fact, there are rumblings from the vintage Rolex community that matchy-matchy lume is as much a red flag as a perfect-looking case these days.

That being said, I want to believe - and if that Speedy were a straight-writing example, I might have done something stupid and bought it anyway :D

7. abrod520 Nov 25, 2015

And, to answer your other question re. Collector vs good, collector is basically an untouched/NOS watch - no signs of wear etc. A museum piece, basically. Box/ papers are maybe a $1000 value on top of that - which, come to think of it, are in suspiciously good condition in that listing.

8. ping pong patina Nov 25, 2015

I don't buy what i can't wear =)

Spacefruit likes this.
  9. Dgercp Nov 25, 2015

If it's the same watch I am thinking of (price 9.5k), I believe a relumed job, and even if not, that price is insane!

oddboy likes this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 26, 2015

If we had a dollar for all the questions without a link like yours above about a Speedmaster that has a thread of two already here with 20 members talking about , we could buy a few Speedmaster. ....

Spacefruit likes this.