Forums Latest Members
  1. Dablitzer Jan 29, 2013

What are your preferences on Patine and when does it become too much?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359445301.128546.jpg

2. Wheels Jan 29, 2013

I like patina but that's a bit much for me.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 29, 2013

Wow! a rare "pizza-dial" Seamaster:

4. Dablitzer Jan 29, 2013

mmh, looka lika nice cheesy margherita! :taunt:

5. alam Jan 29, 2013

when it becomes too much? just about now...

6. Dablitzer Jan 29, 2013

:D I thought so...Looks like it's been submerged in a tank of water!

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 29, 2013

My preference is no patina but if the watch is desirable, minimal, even patina. Patina will almost certainly reduce the value of the watch and in some cases indicates increased wear and tear on the movement and/or case. There are very few exceptions here - the so called tropical/chocolate dial in speedmasters is one of them. I and others always stress condition, condition, condition and patina on the dial reduces the condition and value of a vintage watch.

One other thing - I know some have expressed an interest in having a watch with patina but in the end would you pay more for that watch than one without any patina (and also original dial)? If not then perhaps your preference is still the watch without patina!

8. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 29, 2013

I do like patina, but I guess for me it depends on the model... If I had to decide between my 344 and one with a super clean dial, I would still pick my example. I never get tired of looking at this dial!

[​IMG]

However for rarer models like Centenaries, 30T2RGs, solid gold ones, I would want the watch as mint as possible and would pay extra for a really nice example. I don't think aging looks very nice on some models, especially when bubbles form on the sunburst finished dials. :oops:

I do have this one where the patina is similar to hooded lugs example. I call it my Leopard Constellation. :p

[​IMG]

fjf, Giff2577, tamura and 1 other person like this.
  9. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 29, 2013

That is one cool leopard :)

10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 29, 2013

Noted Kyle but true love for patina - would you be willing to pay more for those watches with patina than for similar examples with clean non-patinated original dials?

11. Mothra Jan 29, 2013

I'd happily wear that if it was a model i was collecting, which would be my rule of thumb. Same for kyles leopard.

12. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 29, 2013

Depends how much more and on the specific watch, but yes I would. I saw this Constellation where the dial turned a stunning almost a golden orange color and would definitely pay a little more. I would in this case as well. (borrowed watch from another forum)

[​IMG]

13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 29, 2013

Then you are the exception and a true patina lover! But your example illustrates one of my problems with patina - the dial looks ok with the even patina but the case has been polished heavily. As I had mentioned, with patina usually comes other signs of wear.

14. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 29, 2013

I know with Rolex there are certain people who target watches specifically with patina and would pay a premium, and there are certain dealers who make a highlight patina and charge a little more for those with. I do agree with you on the wear part though.

15. Dablitzer Jan 29, 2013

Truly Stunning in my humble opinion! (Over polishing noted :p)

16. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 29, 2013

IMO for omega, ok to play around with patina in the under $1000 but for the top collectors at least that I know, they will go for the best examples as they left the factory and that means as little patina as possible. I don't know if the price premium on certain rolex models will stand the test of time. I would say though that the best examples especially of the higher end vintage watches - there will always be a premium the closer they are to factory fresh NOS condition.

17. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 29, 2013

That's the way I'm trying to go - upgrading to models that are closer to factory condition like the Centenary I just picked up. Sometimes I just can't resist a nice honest watch with patina though. :p

18. ulackfocus Jan 29, 2013

Never was much for patina until seeing Omega's black faded to chocolate in person. The above Constellation that's turned salmon pink would be a one I'd go for, but not pay a premium to get.

19. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 29, 2013

Case in point.
    1969 Rolex 1680 RED Submariner.
    Beautifull example with white unblemished markers- ~$10k.
    Brown dial on same watch. $~20k-30K

watchknut and kyle L like this.
  20. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 29, 2013

Respectable Member pitpro

I think, patina-love cannot be applied across the board for all watches.

For dress watches, the dial has to be as flawless as possible, with not even a mark or any sign of degradation. This is where the value is.

As for sports or tool watches, a certain degree of patina is acceptable since it is inevitable, the tritium applied on the hands and hour-markers will degrade, over time. This is where the value is.

Taste and opinions differ, from person to person. There will always be friendly arguments, as long as vintage-watch collecting is alive.

Thank-you.