Forums Latest Members
  1. Meidit Jul 18, 2018

Hello,
    I find myself in a bit of a situation. Someone broke into my house and stole all of my jewelry. So, here’s my problem. I inherited this Omega women’s vintage gold watch and it was stolen.I am off course devastated and I’m now trying to identify and estimate the value of my watch for the insurance company as well as the police.

A jeweler ones told me it was quite valuable and I have been scared to wear it, so I have no pictures of the actual watch. I have called jewelers, searched the website and googled for hours. So far no luck, but I was wondering if maybe someone here might know.

I still have my guarantee card. The metal ref number is 711. 8816 A. And it was bought in 1983. I think it may have been a De Ville?

Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can identify my watch!

Best wishes
    Heidi

2. Maganator Jul 18, 2018

Can you describe what the watch looked like? Gold/silver/diamonds?

3. Dan S Jul 18, 2018

Sorry to hear about the burglary. It might help if you post a photo of the card.

4. jimmyd13 Jul 18, 2018

The reference number you've quoted doesn't give a hit in the Omega database. 711.1886 does, for a 1973 ladies' De Ville Tank. Can you provide a photo of the card you have, as already requested above, and someone should be able to identify the watch.

Also, sorry to hear about the burglary. It can be a terrible feeling of having your private sanctum invaded regardless of any actual loss.

Meidit likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 18, 2018

Hello Heidi,

Sorry to hear about the burglary. The full case number for your watch would be:

055BA7118816A | 18CT.YEL.GOLD CASE C. 625

So the case was made of solid 18k gold, and note that the dial for this watch may also have been made of solid gold, depending on the specific variation you had.

These watches often do not have much in the way of collector value, and the Cal. 625 movement is also not worth a lot of money. So really the majority of the value of this watch was in the gold.

Difficult to say what the exact value is, but possibly if you were to call Omega and give them the case number that I've listed above, they may be able to give you a weight of the gold. you could ask for a replacement value, but the case is no longer made, so they may be reluctant to do that.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 18, 2018

Bad luck with the burglary
    Couple of things
    First, it may depend on your insurance policy.
    If eg you have a new for old policy you may be able to claim for the equivalent new Omega which will be many times the value of your watch.
    IIRC a while back a poster was offered 2-3 thousand for a stolen watch that was only worth a few hundred as a collectible.
    Second, if you are looking for a replacement value, now you have the info from @Archer, you would need to find the equivalent in a bricks and mortar retailer (or online) - again the value would be significantly more than collectors’ value.

Meidit likes this.
  7. Dan S Jul 18, 2018

8. Meidit Jul 19, 2018

Gold. No diamonds as far as I can remember. It had this tiny clasp and fit me just perfectly, which was lucky since it seemed hard to adjust the size. It was kinda heavy and "stiff". The band was woven or something like that. I think it had a kinda braid thing going around the dial.

9. Meidit Jul 19, 2018

Thank you so much. Sure I can post it. Here it is

IMG_1145.JPG IMG_8499.JPG
  10. Meidit Jul 19, 2018

Thank you. It sure is. They have made me feel unsafe in my own home, which is terrible. I don't consider myself a materialistic person, but heirlooms are something special, and irreplaceable, sadly. I posted a picture of the guarantee card

IMG_8499.JPG
  11. Meidit Jul 19, 2018

Thank you for a very detailed explanation! You really have a lot of knowledge. The Omega distributers in Norways couldn't even come up with this. Maybe they can help me now that I have all this info, so thank you.

Taddyangle likes this.
  12. Meidit Jul 19, 2018

Thank you!

13. Dan S Jul 19, 2018

It seems like the original seller may have transposed numbers on the papers. Do any of these look familiar? If not, can you Google omega 711.1886 and see if you can find a photo of your watch?

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 4.06.24 PM.png

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 19, 2018

If you are saying this because you can't find the case number on the Omega vintage database, please keep in mind that the database isn't complete. I have verified that the case number she has provided is valid, so there's no reason to think that the numbers have been transposed.

Meidit, jimmyd13, kkt and 1 other person like this.
  15. jimmyd13 Jul 19, 2018

Despite not being able to find details of your watch earlier; coupled with Al's finding under the reference number you've given, I think the details are correct.

I've found a reference to the number in a photo of a catalogue but no image of the watch itself nor anything that can help. I've also searched using a BL prefix as well as BA - no luck. I'm afraid I can't think of a way forward short of finding originals of early 1980s catalogues. Even then, there's no guarantee that they will have anything useful.

Perhaps it's time to go back to your insurer and explain that it was an 18ct gold Omega (there's no doubt about that much) that is rare enough to have not been identified yet and go from there. If you have a new for old policy, you will be looking at something around the £15000 mark.

Meidit likes this.
  16. Dan S Jul 19, 2018

Actually, I just mis-read the numbers you provided. Interesting that there is no web presence whatsoever for that reference.

17. Meidit Jul 19, 2018

No, sorry. None of them are right. It was a gold watch, no doubt in my mind.

18. Meidit Jul 19, 2018

Thank you so much. I must say, it warms my heart to receive this much help from others, especially after an event such as this. I can not thank you enough. It´s been hard searching for something that is probably lost forever, but I'm amazed of all the help I have received, and the knowledge you possess.

19. Meidit Jul 19, 2018

I think so too

20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 19, 2018

I'm not surprised at all.

Men will buy anything that other men they respect will wear. Hence the popularity of the "Paul Newman" Rolex or "Moonwatch".

Women prefer to be unique. Therefore, some case references were deliberately produced only in extremely small quantities.
    gatorcpa

Deafboy and Meidit like this.