Forums Latest Members
  1. Worksofart Jul 26, 2017

Dear all,

I am heading to Japan in August and I am keen to buy a pre-owned speedmaster (probably the 3572.50.00 which has the sapphire back). Reading several posts, I have understood that japanese are big fun of Omega and that it is easy to find pre-owned Speedmaster in great conditions and prices (apart special editions).

My main question/concern is about price, as the above model can be found for ~2800€ in Europe (Chrono24 source) in good conditions. Do you think that I can find it at a similar price in Japan ? Jackroads, Best Watch Shop (just to cite few examples) seem to have few Speedmasters, still I am unclear on their real prices. Can these prices being negotiated? Do they include the local tax (~8%)? and, Is the current EUR/YEN exchange (~130) an advantage for EU buyers?

I know that there are several posts on this already, but they are a bit outdated and I could not find the right answer to my needs.

Thanks in advance for your help !

2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 26, 2017

There are 8 listed on Yahoo Japan. Order from there and save yourself the trip

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 26, 2017

@gemini4 single-handedly drove up the price of Speedmasters in Japan.

4. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 26, 2017

Still vintage bargains to be had in Japan......not.
    105.002, incorrect bezel, dial, 1035 bracelet. No inside pics.
    $18,000 :thumbsdown:
    IMG_7198.JPG

5. tamura Jul 26, 2017

3700 usd
    aabbbsp.JPG

Mark020 and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  6. Worksofart Jul 26, 2017

Hi Gemini 4,
    Thanks for the quick reply ! My trip to Japan is not strictly linked to the purchase of an Omega :)
    Unfortunately, I am not sure that I can have an account in Yahoo Japan, and anyhow I would like to see it in real before buying !

Any consideration on price range in Japan and tax avoidance/refund ?

7. wolf Jul 26, 2017

Japan is a watchlovers dream...enjoy the hunt and good luck!

8. perks713 Jul 26, 2017

I'm really wishing google would translate Yahoo Japan for me :)

9. perks713 Jul 26, 2017

scratch that, found the translate button. Now to find the "take my money and send me an awesome watch", button

10. cvrle1 Jul 26, 2017

It doesnt exist. None of the sellers on YJ will ship outside of Japan.
    I think with all the folks trying to get into YJ and find a deal, we will soon have a "YJ Newbie Tax" if folks thought eBay was bad for fakes, wait till you get into YJ

11. glownyc Jul 26, 2017

To buy on Yahoo Japan you need a middle man service. As cvrle1 mentioned seller won't ship outside of Japan. Do some googling and you'll find tons of info about these middle man service and how they work. They charge a fee, usually a percentage of the purchase price and you pay for shipping twice. From the seller to the middle man then from the middle man to you. The added cost usually wipe out any deal you might find.

12. cvrle1 Jul 26, 2017

And if you really want to give it a shot, be 1000000% sure you know what you are buying. Unlike with eBay, once you bought it, that is it. No returns, no exchanges, no money back for any reason. This isnt YJ rule, but middle men companies rules. They do not want to deal with returns and so on. Every one of them states that no returns are allowed for any reason. So if you bought that super rare SM300 military watch for $2K (which there are many on YJ being sold every day) now you are a proud owner of fake SM300 and are out $2K

Can deals be found? Sure. Can you get burned? Oh hell yes

marco likes this.
  13. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 26, 2017

::popcorn::

14. perks713 Jul 26, 2017

I don't think I'd ever be able to work up the nerve to buy something on a site I can only read half the text on anyway. But it sure is fun to look!

sarir97 likes this.
  15. tamura Jul 26, 2017

I myself can only find a good deal on yahoo, when it is a bin auction and gemeni4 is sleeping.:cool:

gemini4 likes this.
  16. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 26, 2017

Concerning Omega watches the main problems with buying from Yahoo Japan,today, are really no different than anywhere else. There is a shortage of quality vintage examples. Many examples have incorrect parts. Prices have shot up enormously. In addition, pictures are usually substandard, description translations are a challenge to understand, delivery can take 2 weeks and, as previously mentioned returns are hard to arrange (but not impossible) and there are many knockoffs.

That being said, some of the best examples and greatest bargains in my collection came from buying, online, from Japan.

tamura likes this.
  17. Worksofart Sep 8, 2017

Dear all,

Just to share with you my experience with buying pre-owned watches in Japan as per August 2017. Let's say one thing, Japan is really an amazing country for pre-owned watches, jewelry, bags ...there is really a cultural difference vs the rest of the world and everything is in excellent conditions.

First, the good news:
    I came back with a beautiful 3573 in mint conditions for 2100€ (w/o box & papers) bought at Nj Times in Nakano (Tokyo).

Second, the research:

Only cities where you can find pre-owned watches are Tokyo and Osaka. Shops are many, Nj Times, Best, Jack Roads, Trust, Quark, Komehyo, Brand Off.. and are mainly located in Shinsaibashi (Osaka) and Nakano, Shinjuku, Roppongi, Ginza (Tokyo). Research was not easy because you can find your Graal in a small shop rather than in Jack Roads (I had to queue and wait 20mins to have a look at 1 watch). The amount of very expensive watches (Patek, Audemars, Rolex Paul Newman) you will see is impressive and there is no security at all ! (This is Japan)

Third, prices:
    They can vary a lot because it really depends on the shop purchase price. Prices are often shown with Tax (which is "only" 8%) and sometime with a lower price if you pay in cash (Credit card charges are around 5%). Negotiation is minimal and not really in their culture, but I could get 50€ off. Currency rate was ok, 1€ = 130Y, and this pushed me to buy the watch eventually.

In conclusion, do not get excited at the first shop (although you will) and note all prices before making your choice.
    If I will go back again in Japan, I will definetely think about buying another watch.

Hope this post will help some of you travelling to Japan soon :)

LG

LuckyLuke, Wyatt66 and mikechi22 like this.
  18. marco Sep 8, 2017

As you are specifically looking for Speedie with saphire back. There is always the after market option of Thomas Priek saphire back from Germany cost about $150 Aud. This option will give your more choice if you come across a piece with a ss case back that you really like.

19. mikechi22 Sep 8, 2017

Go to Japan! It's awesome! Even if you pay a little more for the watch, it will be a priceless memory!

20. marco Sep 8, 2017

I have never been there but have heard that it is "watch paradise " and relatively cheap if you like something they are not "into" or is considered not fashionable.
    Please let us know your experiances and what you buy and good luck.