Forums Latest Members
  1. wayneG Feb 21, 2016

Lately, I've had a hankering for a pre-moon Speedy. Well, I say lately but it's at least 12 months and I just haven't had the guts or knowledge to feel safe in a purchase. I also see that values tend to be a bit all over the place, and obviously this is down to condition and the rarity of each model.

However, I wondered if there's specific models to look out for. Is it all about the "Ed White" or are there other models that may generally be cheaper?

Finally, are there any good, well-known sources of these types of watches, and what would be the chance of finding one with B&P?

I'm sure this thread is not the first of its kind, but with time comes new information, and any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 21, 2016

KstateSkier, gminnj, jens0125 and 4 others like this.
  3. Drawarms Feb 21, 2016

4. wayneG Feb 21, 2016

:-D Okay thank you for your advice. Genuinely appreciated :)

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 21, 2016

It happens.... ;)

2.jpg

6. mozambique Feb 22, 2016

Hi,
    Good luck with your search!
    The chances of you finding a watch with original box and papers is pretty slim. They do occasionally come up, but expect $$$$. Beware of anyone selling a watch with original box and papers, as there are some 'original' blank warranty cards floating around, which an unscrupulous seller can fill in and boxes are not too hard to come by.

18 months ago it 'was all about' 2998's (and still is), Generally, by some, EW's were considered to be a fall back if you could not find a decent 2998, as it was the cheapest straight lug. Today, it's still the cheapest, but 'cheap' is relative. Good luck in finding either reference in decent condition at a sane price. The supply has certainly dwindled, as collectors are holding on to theirs.

The 105.012 is next in the pecking order, and as the one certified watch which actually landed on the moon, it has a special place in many collectors hearts. Prices for these have also headed north and gain, decent examples are hard to find. I would probably be looking for a nice 145.012, if your budget permits, although all vintage speedmaster prices have ramped up of late.

Where to buy? Off the forum here would be the best place from a private seller (as opposed to a dealer re. $$). Watch out though, nice examples do not last long! Ebay offers the greatest variety, although as ever, buyer beware. If you see an ebay watch you are interested in. Other OF members will be happy to vet it for you.

Good luck!

7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 22, 2016

Well thought out post.

Box and papers in Rolex world, (and like it or not Omega collecting is going the way of Rolex "investing"), is a lure.

I used to think B&P's were a red herring in Omega, and indeed I am always wary that they are married. That is, a put together set.

One dealer I know is dismissive of B&P's because he assumes they are all put together, and that it dilutes the attention we should be focusing on the watch.

That said, I now think I am wrong about the market not valuing them. I now think the market does place a premium on B&P's. I think this is most especially evident in a fine condition watch, presented for sale with the correct contemporary box and legitimate papers - if it has the original receipt then I think it is almost the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Up till now, these sets have been selling at the top end of prices, but the time taken to sell is vastly reduced from the non B&P examples.

Now I think there is a premium, but as ever buyer beware for the put together sets.

I especially suspicious of watches coming through the trade.

wsfarrell and gminnj like this.
  8. wayneG Feb 22, 2016

Thanks, the replies make a lot of sense. The 105.012 sounds very interesting; I just need to work out a good, trusted source for these watches... there's very little chance I would look at eBay with my current knowledge.

9. dc_in_sf Feb 23, 2016

Just curious, I thought Sheppard's watch (Apollo 14) was a 145.012?

10. Furze Feb 23, 2016

Ed White with B&P do exist, I bought a set within last 12 months, but it will probably never happen again. I just happened to be in right place at the right time. I was showing a jewellers a Rolex I was thinking of selling, he was interested and I had the thought of asking if he had anything vintage that wasn't already in his window, he then pulled out a full set Ed White that he hadn't prepared for his window yet, we did the trade there and then, and was smiling for a least a week thereafter. That was pretty much a one time deal. Been collected watches for almost 20 years, and doubt that will happen again with a EW.
    Came on 7912 bracelet and No.6 endlinks. 2015-06-30 09.24.50.jpg 2015-06-30 09.50.00.jpg

gminnj, Javi22, Pahawi and 2 others like this.
  11. ibis888 Feb 23, 2016

If you have a very high budget, the major auction houses often present watches with boxes and papers...

There seems to be a significant premium attached to watches being sold through the these auction houses though, at least from what I have recently seen.