Forums Latest Members
  1. omitohud Sep 12, 2016

Hello guys. I just acquired this birth year 145.022 69st (probably made earlier but I go by the stamping [emoji6]) It's time now for OF experts to weigh in on the originality n condition. Thanks in advance. Please b gentle with me. It's my first speedy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I blame it on the autoconnect.

blubarb and oddboy like this.
  2. spin_transistor Sep 12, 2016

B+/A-

Bezel and dial are excellent. Case looks slightly polished, but overall your watch is very nice!!

3. LawBrk Sep 12, 2016

Was this the one off Fleabay just a day or two ago? The small crown is obviously a replacement, really quite an exceptional DoN bezel. Looks polished but a little hard to tell from the photos. Be sure to have a WM re-set the set screw for the bottom pusher. He looks like he's about to lose his hat. ;)

4. richardew Sep 12, 2016

Welcome to the club, or should I say ward. You can't have too many speedys. Sorry, but I'm not in love here. The case is over polished. The bezel however is a gorgeous DON. I think the dial may be a relume though. The lume looks uneven and thick in places. The edges don't quite look straight everywhere and the corners a bit rounded. Hard to tell from these photos. The part of the movement shown looks nice. Welcome to the club.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 12, 2016

Solid watch nothing to be concerned about. All the big issues seem in the clear. Great bezel and dial, hands match the dial well and appear correct.

blubarb likes this.
  6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 12, 2016

First impression. Very good. (As Always price appropriate)

Nice dial. Always important. I suspect the plots and hand lume have all had attention. BUT it makes NO difference to the value in this reference because it has been done so well and the alternative would look worse.

My reasons are the lumpy inconsistent lume on the plots that are not (to me) like normal shrinkage and the are a little too wobbly in places. The hand lume colour is darker and more consistent than I am used to. This is just an opinion and I am happy to be told I am wrong.

The case is polished mostly from use I think.

If it were mine I would not hesitate to send it for a sympathetic service and very light case refinish.

I like it.

(And that bezel....!)

blubarb, Davidt and Foo2rama like this.
  7. T<25 Sep 12, 2016

Love it. I agree the case seems to have some good amount of polishing, but still a awesome watch. Congrats!

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 12, 2016

I think people don't understand what polishing means. I'm with @Spacefruit it looks worn not polished. The edges are pretty good for the vintage. If it had been polished the edges would not be as nice. The lack of brushing is normal wear.

9. omitohud Sep 13, 2016

Thank you all for the constructive comments. Since it's my first, I'm actually pretty anxious. I'm much better with Rolex. [emoji12] Now I feel much better. [emoji109] Keep it coming, that's how we learn.

blubarb likes this.
  10. omitohud Sep 13, 2016

How do I get extra credit to make it to A? [emoji106]

11. omitohud Sep 13, 2016

Will see my WN pretty soon. Txs.

12. omitohud Sep 13, 2016

It's long time coming. [emoji108]

13. marturx Sep 13, 2016

That case is definitely polished. A sloppy job too. Sorry to say.

If wear had caused that, the hippocampus would have been gone, but it's not, it's crisp.

Soft edges from polishing, and not sharp as they should be if the case was untouched.

As Spacefruit suggests, a real casemaker should be able to restore the case, or at least make it look a lot better. @photo500

Besides that, a good looking specimen.

14. Davidt Sep 13, 2016

I agree with pretty much everything above.

The bezel is lovely, the dial body nice, serial is correct and the case is ok but could probably be improved (by someone who knows what they're doing, not just any watch maker!).

The only thing I perhaps disagree on is the lume. It's hard to tell for sure, but I'm swaying towards original.

Overall though it's very attractive.

15. photo500 Sep 13, 2016

Nice Speedy there @onitohud. It is hard to tell definitely from those photos but to me it appears the case sides have been shined up a bit on a polishing wheel and sections of the case back too. If it were sleeve polished the satin grain on the case sides would not be so evenly absent. Just my 5 cents [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNTwatch likes this.
  16. SpeedTar Sep 13, 2016

Very nice watch in very good condition!!
    About the plot lume, the tritium has been a little damaged may be during a service , but not look like a relume to me => excellent!

17. omitohud Sep 13, 2016

Thanks again all. It's a good assurance I did OK. It's my first speedy so it feels like the first child. Lol. I've been wanting one since I don't know when. So glad I found it. N now confirmation from OF experts that it's legit, I'm gonna wear it with pride. [emoji120]