Forums Latest Members
  1. pmontoyap Apr 9, 2017

Hi all,

I bought a 352 Chronometre which case looks practically identical to a Constellation 2648 (minus observatory logo) also very similar to the Centenary 2500.

I had it opened by my local watchmaker and was baffled to see there is no reference on the inside of the caseback, instead there is a round Omega logo with an 18C on it but there are no external hallmarks to be seen.

I've read about Dennison cased Omegas, the french cased Omegas, the argentian cased Omegas, the STAR cases, etc. This seems to be a french case but can't see the maker's hallmark or eagle head. I can see, however, a watchmaker service mark from 1954 plus it had decades of grime on the lugs and caseback which gives me some peace of mind regarding the authenticity.

Cant wait for the experts to shed some light on this piece,

Cheers image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Edited Apr 9, 2017
    Giff2577, GregH, Mods and 1 other person like this.
  2. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Apr 9, 2017

Yes, it looks to me to be a French cased example and from the serial, pre-Constellation. Can you see an embossed eagle anywhere on the case body?

pmontoyap likes this.
  3. pmontoyap Apr 9, 2017

Hello Desmond,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I looked around and there is no hallmark whatsoever, not under the lugs, not on the sides. One of the reasons I bought the watch is the unpolished case with very crisp lines all around so I dont think the hallmark was ever present.

I read in your blog about the forged cases. I bought the watch in a non working condition and full of dirt so I take it someone with bad intentions would have made a small effort to make it presentable!

4. mac_omega Apr 10, 2017

The round old style Omega engraving initially made me think French case also... but the French were very accurate in marking all parts of the case with the eagle head hallmark, even fixed gold strap bars. So I highly doubt it is French.

I have observed this 18C hallmark style on Canadian and Australian contract cases - so I think this might be the case here.

My advice: go for an extract from Bienne - I think it would pay for this specimen

just my 2 c

pmontoyap and François Pépin like this.
  5. François Pépin Apr 10, 2017

If it is French gold, it should be marked on almost every part as Mac Omega said, and for an old watch it should be with a hallmark like the eagle, not with a number - it has changed since.

This hallmark does not match anything I know about French gold. It is clearly not the hallmark for imported gold - which is usually the owl.

As far as I remember, Gatorcpa once said such a combo (logo and hallmark) suggests an old English case.

pmontoyap likes this.
  6. François Pépin Apr 10, 2017

If it is French gold, it should be marked on almost every part as Mac Omega said, and for an old watch it should be with a hallmark like the eagle, not with a number - it has changed since.

This hallmark does not match anything I know about French gold. It is clearly not the hallmark for imported gold - which is usually the owl.

As far as I remember, Gatorcpa once said such a combo (logo and hallmark) suggests an old English (or Australian as Mac Onega said?) case.

pmontoyap likes this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 10, 2017

What's odd about this one is that there is a hallmark. Looks like a Swiss queen's head:

IMG_0136.PNG

Not easy to see. My guess would be Australian, as Canadian Omegas tend to be the same as US models.

A bit of a mystery here.
    gatorcpa

pmontoyap likes this.
  8. pmontoyap Apr 10, 2017

Thank you all for your input, in fact I did buy this from Australia as @mac_omega has suggested. I thought it had to be french because of the 18 C (Carat), one would imagine english speaking countries would mark it with a K.

Were there other identical watches with this case in other markets? I mean a 2648 type case with early 12mm serial chronometre?

If the earliest 2648 I could find has 12.2xx.xxx serial one would assume this to be the predecesor of the first connie. Or maybe, as movements were shipped to Australia for casing, it might have remained uncased until a couple of months later when the 2648 comes out and then, they modeled the case after this "new" design? So althought it has a low serial number, it might have been produced later than the first connie.

Thanks again for your help, will defenitely order an extract. How long do these extracts take to arrive?

Best

Edited Apr 10, 2017
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 10, 2017

Omega produced several different case references of watches simply called "Automatic Chronometre" that were very similar to what would eventually be known as "Constellation".

Here's an example, Ref. 2517:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note that the general dimensions, lugs, etc. are virtually the same as Ref. 2648. The crown is different, and of course, there is no star or observatory medallion.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

ahartfie and pmontoyap like this.
  10. omegastar Apr 10, 2017

If you look at pic n°2, the is a hallmark near the upper left lug in the slope of the case back. It looks like a French hallmark.

11. pmontoyap Apr 10, 2017

That is just a reflection combined with my poor photographic skills. IMG_3837.JPG IMG_3838.JPG IMG_3839.JPG There are no hallmarks on the outside of the case.

Edited Apr 10, 2017
  12. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Apr 10, 2017

I think Mac Omega may be on to something in respect to Canadian or Australian cases. I note some cases manufactured in Australia from the 40s for other brands have a similar carat, as opposed to karat, mark. But an extract may be the only way to find out. Also there was a tradition in some South American countries for SS cases to be imported and swapped into locally made gold cases.

13. TNTwatch Apr 10, 2017

The Omega picture mark looks wrong. It varies slightly between case makers, but the OP's just too crude. Likely not an Omega sanctioned case.

Screenshot_20170411-003003.png Screenshot_20170411-003337.png

14. mac_omega Apr 11, 2017

You may be right... I also thought like you, but it is hard to tell from the photo

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 11, 2017

I had no idea there were Australian contract case Constellations... I'm kind of keen to get one of those now if they're floating around, do you have any examples?

16. mac_omega Apr 11, 2017

Maybe I was not clear enough on the subject... I found this kind of hallmark on a Rolex prince, not a conny...

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 11, 2017

Ah ok I follow you now

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 11, 2017

OP's watch is not a Constellation. It was made before the introduction of the line in 1952.

Close-up of logo from French-cased Omega:

IMG_0137.PNG

Not exactly the same as either of the two examples above. I wonder if the symbol below the garter has something to do with the contract manufacturer?

gatorcpa

19. RancheroMaster Apr 11, 2017

Historically, the only English speaking country to spell the word for gold purity as karat rather than carat is the USA. However, presently there are a growing number of goldsmiths outside the USA who are turning to spell the word as karat to differentiate it from the word for gemstone weight, which is universally spelled carat.

20. François Pépin Apr 11, 2017

As far as I know, this symbol were often used in French gold cased watches during the 40's and 50's, but is not particular to those watches. The real sign of a French cased watch is the French official hallmark for gold - the eagle for 18K produced in France during that period.

The symbol we are talking about is just a "souvenir" of the old Omega symbol. The French cased watches seem to have used it longer than the Swiss ones. The same seems to be true concerning the case serial numbers: we can find them on French cased watches from the 1950's when the Swiss watches do usually no longer use them.

For instance, please see the following examples:

French cased 30 cal from 1947-1951
    View attachment 374092
    IMG_5894[1].JPG

Another one from the early 1950's:
    IMG_5899[1].JPG

The same:
    IMG_5900[1].JPG

Swiss classical 26,5 cal from the early 1930's:
    IMG_5895[1].JPG

The same:
    IMG_5898[1].JPG

Pocket watch from around 1916-1923:
    IMG_5903[1].JPG

Now my hypothese are the following:

i) First, there seem to be 2 logos coming from the first Omega watches, ie the 19'' pocket watches. One logo for the movement, without the little flower (crown?) under the circle, one for the case with this addition.

See my 19'' from the early 1900's:

Movement (sorry for the blurry picture):
    IMG_4039[1].JPG

Usually, the movements coming from this 19'' series did no longer have the logo from a particular date (I do not know which exactly), though the case conitnue to have the case logo. For instance, the pocket watch above has a movement with no logo.

Case:
    IMG_5904[1].JPG

The same:
    IMG_5905[1].JPG

ii) Second, France and apparently other countries that cased Omega's movements + dials used the case logo as a sign of some "official" connexion with Omega. As they used this logo at a time when the movements do no longer had it, and when the Swiss made cased did not usually use it on the cases, the logo eventualy became a sign of a French or X made cased.

iii) If you remember the discussion we had about the case serial numbers,

https://omegaforums.net/threads/french-omegas-and-their-numbers-looking-for-info.53549/#post-650902

you shall remember one the remaining issues: there appears to be two different numbeing series for French cased Omega from the 1940's and 1950's, one continuing the old Omega numbering, another one which seems specific to French cased watches.

I first thought it could be related to special models such as Connies. But I think now French cased Omega started a new series from the late 40's or the early 50's. For instance, plesae see the 2 French cased cal 30 above: the older one has the old numbering, the other one the new numbering.

I am not sure at all of that last hypothesis though!

Edited Apr 11, 2017
    pmontoyap likes this.