Forums Latest Members

Pre Bond 200 Mid Size Quartz Date Setting Question (cal 1438)

1. Daytona12 Jul 15, 2014

I recently purchased the watch. It has a new cal.1438 movement. It is a first generation by all accounts and the original cal 1441 movement was replaced with the cal. 1438.

I have a question about what one should expect when the crown is extended in the different setting positions.

If the crown is unscrewed and pulled out to the first position, the second hand continues to run. However when rotating the crown, in this position, nothing happens. The hour and minute hands do not move and the date does not advance.

When the crown is pulled out fully the the second hand stops and the minute and hour hands can be moved forward or back, but in order to change the date one has to complete a full 24 hour rotation of the hands, for 29 or 30 more days to get back to the required date.

I cannot find any definitive information on what should happen with this movement in the first position. Depending upon what you find, there are suggestions that there should be a 'quick date set" facility or that the hour hand should advance independent of the minute hand to change the time zone and / or date.

Can anyone please clarify what it is I should be looking for to happen?

Many thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 15, 2014

There are 3 positions of the crown - the first position when the crown is unscrewed (nothing is "pulled" to get to this position) as you say does nothing.

When you then pull the crown out one position to the second, it will move only the hour hand, in full one hour increments. To advance the date by one day, you make the hour hand rotate 2 times around the dial, which is very quick. The watch continues to run in this position.

The final position 3 stop the movement and moves the minute hour hands in a smooth sweep.

Either your watch has something wrong with it, or you are somehow not finding the second position.

Cheers, Al

Raphael25 likes this.
  3. Daytona12 Jul 15, 2014

Al, you are correct. That second position I cannot find. At least not the way you describe. The second position you refer to is what I have been incorrectly referring to as the first position where I get the first discernible "click". The second "click" comes when the crown is fully extended.

In the second position I get the second hand continuing, but no advancement of the hour hand in full hour increments, or any date advancement, by moving the crown in either direction.

Initially I thought it was me. After numerous attempts to get that hour hand to move on its own, I am afraid I think there is something wrong with the watch.

Thank you for the explanation.

4. Daytona12 Jul 21, 2014

Al,

I want to thank you for all of your help and information on that date setting question I had on the cal. 1438 Pre Bond.

I was able to present yours, and other members, input and information to the seller and his watchmaker. I was able to return the watch as per the agreement, at the time of purchase. Getting the refund took a little longer than I anticipated. I can only assume that they finally conceded their watch was not functioning as you had helped me point out. I did not get any information from them, only a long delay in completing the refund.

I have learnt a great deal through this experience. Not the least of which is the value of solid information from good people, like yourself.

With thanks again and best regards

Mark

John R Smith likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 21, 2014

Glad the information was helpful.

Cheers, Al

Raphael25 likes this.