Forums Latest Members
  1. Cozzie Mar 20, 2017

Hi there, I am extremely new to this game and am trying to identify good vintage omega watches. I was completely overwhelmed by all the different types that I decided to hone in on a specific model that caught my eye. I have really been liking the 1960's pie pan connies so I fig I would focus on these at first. I am in no way ready to purchase a watch and prob won't be for some time I really just want to get good at finding a gem before I make the investment. I was hunting around on ebay and came across a connie that I thought I liked. In the description it claims to have a case that is solid rose gold and stainless. However, when I looked at the pics of the back of the lugs I can see stainless steel does this mean that it is actually plated? When I searched its ref # (Ref 14393 61 SC) and calibre 561 on Google and on Omega Constellation Collectors website I could not find a description for a case with solid rose gold and stainless steel. Does this mean that this watch may be some kind of conglomeration? I included some pics. Any insight I could get would be greatly appreciated.

s-l64.jpg s-l500.jpg s-l500 (1).jpg s-l500 (2).jpg s-l64 (1).jpg
  2. Cozzie Mar 20, 2017

Oops sorry some of the pics ended up so tiny I'll try again

s-l500 (3).jpg s-l500 (4).jpg
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 20, 2017

I highly doubt that's solid gold. In fact you can see it's plated on the lugs as it has worn away/missing on the bottom of the lugs. I don't believe that Omega used solid gold bezels on these either. Generally at this time period if a watch was solid gold the whole watch including caseback would be solid gold.

Here is its brother https://omegaforums.net/threads/sol...pie-pan-ref-14393-61-sc-with-aged-dial.23712/

It's gold capped with a stainless case. As for dial and hands being correct I'll defer to the Connie experts here.

4. Cozzie Mar 20, 2017

Thanks for the response it confirms my suspicion. I had assumed that since the stainless could be seen on the underside of lugs that it would mean it was capped but just wanted to make sure since I'm a rook'. Here is the actual posting on ebay if anyone wants to take a look:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/132127247947?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

5. ConElPueblo Mar 20, 2017

It is common for some sellers to write that gold cap is "solid gold over stainless steel".

Avoid the assholes.

EDIT: looking at the listing, I would say that there are two tones of gold there, yellow on some parts, rose on others. The gold capped parts have lost definition and the crown is an abomination. The hands are the correct type though :D

You'll want that case to look as sharp as possible, not like this one. The facets are part of the Constellation design language and should be clearly present.

Edited Mar 20, 2017
    Cozzie and ahartfie like this.
  6. Cozzie Mar 20, 2017

Hey thanks so much. I can tell I'm going to learn a lot hanging around here and I am very excited for it. ConElPueblo when you say the crown is an abomination do you mean that it is not original to this ref #?

7. ConElPueblo Mar 21, 2017

Yep, it is completely wrong. I wouldn't mind a correct Omega replacement (much...), but the one on this one is horrible.

8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 21, 2017

You were right the first time

To quote Prince Charles
    "Like a monstrous carbuncle on the face of a much loved and elegant friend "

sphinx77 likes this.
  9. ConElPueblo Mar 21, 2017

Are we vitnessing the first ever Prince Charles quote on OF? I think so.

sphinx77, Cozzie and Greatoldone like this.
  10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 21, 2017

This quote sums up why I want them to skip Charles and go straight to William.

Gordon Heavyfoot likes this.
  11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 21, 2017

I will admit it's the first time I've ever quoted Charles anywhere

12. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 21, 2017

As someone who spent 7 years training as an architect I think the Roundheads had the right approach to any royal named Charles...

Edited Mar 21, 2017
    Greatoldone likes this.
  13. Cozzie Mar 22, 2017

I found this watch for auction on ebay. The seller has not taken pics of the movement or given ref #. They claim they cannot get the case back open. I think it might possibly be a 167.005 based on the the dog leg lugs, stainless steal case, and dial. Of course I could be completely wrong (and prob am). It looks like this watch may go for cheap. I feel that the dial is original and in decent shape. The case is obviously very dirty. What do you guys think of the lines on this case? Do the chamfers look defined enough? Would anyone take a shot in the dark on a watch if the price was good without seeing the movement? And finally would the case clean up ok on this without a polish? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg
  14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 22, 2017

15. Cozzie Mar 22, 2017

Thx Larry S I've been over there a bunch. Tons of great info.

16. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 22, 2017

I presume that's a typo and you mean 168.005
    (167.005 is a no date version)
    Are there any other pics?
    These are too grainy to assess the case.
    Especially side and back images

17. Cozzie Mar 22, 2017

18. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 22, 2017

Yes it's a dog leg dome dial
    Still crappy pictures but they just about show enough to see it looks okay
    Side shots are really important with dog legs
    The human detritus would have cleaned off with a sonic bath
    Always a risk to buy a watch without a movement and inner case back pic
    But sometimes 'who dares wins'
    I think with a new crystal and a clean this would be a nice Connie
    A good price with the BoR IMHO

19. Cozzie Mar 22, 2017

Right on thx, I thought about pulling the trigger on it, but am too new to feel comfortable doing it. Unfortunately, I had over looked this listing and the auction was almost over. Didn't have enough time to post questions after doing some of my own research. I really appreciate the insight here u guys have been great!

20. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 22, 2017

Always happy to help but I think you need to take your foot off the gas a little
    It's appreciated that your doing some reading/research but if you haven't got a handle on reference types (168/167 etc) and case styles (dogleg etc) and the movements that go with them you're going to run into trouble buying from eBay
    Especially read all the info on fake doglegs on Desmonds site
    When you post give us your thoughts - e.g questioning the crown on the watch you posted above

Best of luck!