Forums Latest Members

PP 3940 - wrong dial and hands.

1. Romega Nov 14, 2019

Hi guys.

I just got this PP 3940 from 1995. Former owner wanted another dial, and got the watch serviced at PP. He got this dial, instead of the original one with gold hands and indexes. Does anyone have any idea on how to get it back in its original condition. Without spending all my money ?

pp3940 leaf (3).jpg
    Thanks in advance!

billving likes this.
  2. billving Nov 14, 2019

Not really sure. That looks like the more recent roman dial (I didnt check the hands), I would imagine that for Patek this would be a very expensive swap - and that's assuming that they would do it. I guess for a price they would.

Question, was it really really really cheap? Why not just buy one with a proper dial?

DaveK likes this.
  3. billving Nov 14, 2019

Roman dial. Hand's match it also. I think that these dials were mid-late 2000's until the end of the 3940 run

[​IMG]

4. Romega Nov 15, 2019

Hi, thanks for your reply.
    I have contacted PP in Geneva. They did the swap themselves on a service, so I hope they will swap it back to its original condition.

Edited Nov 15, 2019
    billving and WatchCor like this.
  5. billving Nov 15, 2019

Great Definitely wouldnt go anywhere else for it.

kip595 likes this.
  6. alphabeta81 Nov 19, 2019

Won't be cheap but if the records they have for the case and movement numbers show the original different dial, Patek will put that dial on it. What they don't do is put a dial on that does not match the records (eg if you wanted a blue dial? no go)

7. Geezer Dec 3, 2019

Indeed, PP will change it for you. They will charge you for the dial and hands (and they won't return the old dial and hands). Still, I would do it and it's also a good opportunity to have it serviced.

8. S.Song Jan 14, 2020

I think it might cost you a bomb because Patek also won't touch it without doing a full service etc. Any update on costing?

9. guaranteed.rohu Jan 15, 2020

interesting that they had it swapped out - does PP not let you keep the original part?

10. guaranteed.rohu Jan 15, 2020

PS I agree with your sentiment, I would swap it out for the indices dial too.

11. alphabeta81 Jan 15, 2020

Patek "won't touch it without doing a full service" - did you have that experience personally?
    Is that a new rule? When I sent in a Patek perpetual to HSNY, they said they can change the dial language without a complete service. This was in 2017.

12. S.Song Jan 15, 2020

Yes I do. Interesting, perhaps its the case of different country, different policy. But the closest official PP service center for me is Geneva Master Time in Singapore and a couple times I've brought in something they've refused unless a full service is done. I find AP more willing to compromise in this part of the world.

13. Romega Jan 16, 2020

Update:

Thanks for all the input. The correct dial is hard to find, and Patek does not produce this anymore.

Regarding servicecost, Patek states that service cost is 1800 CHF, almost the same amount in USD:

https://www.patek.com/en/retail-service/services/service-costs

Expensive, but not to bad. I will seach for the right dial, or maybee just pass this watch on to someone who likes it as is

KingCrouchy likes this.
  14. Evitzee Jan 16, 2020

This is probably a good example of why you should be happy with what you buy in a recent vintage watch because a manufacturer may not want, or be able, to change the dial back to what it originally came with. If money were no object, and if you were a good customer, PP could make a new dial but for most of us this isn't possible. I think the Roman dial is quite attractive, but if I didn't like it I wouldn't have bought the watch and expected to have PP replace the dial. I seriously doubt you will come across a standard dial, but good luck with the search. Otherwise I'd enjoy the watch.

$1,800 is the going rate for a high grade perpetual calendar these days, my last overhaul on my AP skeleton perpetual was 5 years ago and it was $1,450, I'd guess it's up to the $1,700 - $1,800 range by now. Expensive watches = expensive services by the manufacturer. You don't take a Ferrari to a Jiffy Lube for an oil change.

15. S.Song Jan 16, 2020

Yeah Patek service prices are actually not too bad...relatively...

16. guaranteed.rohu Jan 16, 2020

All things considered, not too bad! I have heard of some crazy prices for services that include new dials of older watches, like 5-7k USD for old time only pieces from Patek AP Vacheron