Forums Latest Auctions Members

PP 3940 - wrong dial and hands.

1. Romega

Romega Nov 14, 2019

Hi guys.

I just got this PP 3940 from 1995. Former owner wanted another dial, and got the watch serviced at PP. He got this dial, instead of the original one with gold hands and indexes. Does anyone have any idea on how to get it back in its original condition. Without spending all my money ?

pp3940 leaf (3).jpg
    Thanks in advance!

billving likes this.
  2. billving

billving Nov 14, 2019

Not really sure. That looks like the more recent roman dial (I didnt check the hands), I would imagine that for Patek this would be a very expensive swap - and that's assuming that they would do it. I guess for a price they would.

Question, was it really really really cheap? Why not just buy one with a proper dial?

DaveK likes this.
  3. billving

billving Nov 14, 2019

Roman dial. Hand's match it also. I think that these dials were mid-late 2000's until the end of the 3940 run

[​IMG]

4. Romega

Romega Nov 15, 2019

Hi, thanks for your reply.
    I have contacted PP in Geneva. They did the swap themselves on a service, so I hope they will swap it back to its original condition.

Edited Nov 15, 2019
    billving and WatchCor like this.
  5. billving

billving Nov 15, 2019

Great Definitely wouldnt go anywhere else for it.

6. alphabeta81

alphabeta81 Nov 19, 2019

Won't be cheap but if the records they have for the case and movement numbers show the original different dial, Patek will put that dial on it. What they don't do is put a dial on that does not match the records (eg if you wanted a blue dial? no go)

7. Geezer

Geezer Dec 3, 2019

Indeed, PP will change it for you. They will charge you for the dial and hands (and they won't return the old dial and hands). Still, I would do it and it's also a good opportunity to have it serviced.