Forums Latest Members
  1. X JBM X Dec 15, 2016

Hi folks,

I found a watch in Portugal at a dealer that I'd like to buy...

Problem is, I'm not in Portugal, and they don't really want to ship it to me.

So, I'm trying to find someone / a service that can pick up the watch at the store, and ship it to me in the US. They suggested DHL, although I'm not familiar with DHL sending a specified individual to pick up an item.

Any thoughts or ideas?

2. calalum Dec 15, 2016

Ask DHL or FedEx if they will collect the package from the dealer and ship it to you. You could prepare the paperwork and the dealer should be able to print it out. The dealer would obviously need to prepare the package for shipping. If they are not willing to do those minimal things then it may be difficult unless you find someone who can make a personal visit.

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 15, 2016

Where is the store located?

4. X JBM X Dec 15, 2016

Lisbon.

5. X JBM X Dec 20, 2016

Those that sent me PMs, thank you for your help.

Rather than deal with all the import forms, duties, and shipping costs (~$450), I decided to do one better - I'll be flying to Portugal to pick up the watch, and then flying home 24 hours later. The ~$150 cost difference, plus getting the VAT tax back just made this seem like a better option.

Hopefully I'll be thinking I made the right move when the trip is underway.

al128 likes this.
  6. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Dec 20, 2016

What watch is worth this effort? pictures?
    If I were spending many thousands of dollars I would fly to pick it up too.

7. X JBM X Dec 20, 2016

I will be sure to post a follow-up to this thread once I receive the watch. Until then, feel free to speculate ;)

8. Estoril Dec 20, 2016

If you need any help, I'm in Lisbon now.

9. X JBM X Jan 23, 2017

to update, here's my find.
    50673120384__8E479CC7-8C76-4DBA-98A6-4BEB2CDAFECB.JPG
    quite possibly the last (or certainly one of) BNIB Speedmaster Alaska Project sold by an Authorized Dealer. And at a great price to boot - worth every bit of flying to Portugal for.

Also, a big thanks to Tony C. for meeting up with me, taking me around to some of the local dealers in the area, as well as sharing his absolutely tremendous collection with a fellow watch geek.

gop76, m84, al128 and 7 others like this.
  10. m84 Mar 9, 2017

Nicely done! I'm also from Lisbon but have been away from OF for a while and missed this one. Glad all went well!
    Cheers,