Forums Latest Members

Post SIHH and Basel 2018: What's on your watch evaluation list for 2018?

1. Riviera Paradise Apr 30, 2018

With SIHH and Basel 2018 fully digested (or not, I think some releases did provoke nausea:)), I thought I would kick-off a discussion on what 2018 releases might be on the radar for possible wrist test evaluation and purchase during 2018.

I decided to organize my new release 2018 evaluation watch short list by category (too many blue dials!!!):

GADA/Daily Beater

Seiko Baby/Mini Turtle Blue Dial*
    ig120-erikclabaugh.jpg
    Worn and Wound photo. Note the watch was "launched" to social media Nov/Dec 2017, but was only available for retail purchase outside of Japan in Q1 2018.

This would be my first Seiko Diver, and I think it looks a great deal of fun. Comes with the Calibre 4R35 with hacking seconds. Lug-to-Lug 43mm and a case thickness of 13mm should make it quite easy to wear.

Vintage vibe / modern re-issue

Longines Military Watch.
    Baselworld-2018-Longines-Heritage-Military-1.jpg
    Photo courtesy Les Rhabilleurs
    https://www.lesrhabilleurs.com/baselworld-2018-longines/

I know many don't like the fake aged dial, but I think it looks gorgeous and I cannot resist the temptation to get a vintage RAF watch reference without any of the overhead / risk of buying a true vintage piece. I see this watch as a lost cost / low risk entry into the vintage world.

Caveat...I was disappointed with the hands-on experience of the Longines 1945 Heritage issue last year (too big and sub seconds dial placing too centered), so I am not sure as to how I will react to the spotty dial live, but I do think this might be the "one".

Causal / Field Watch

Blue Dial Railmaster
    R536120-15d8543b80bd9813917026f984157532.jpg

I almost pulled the trigger on the Railmaster 60th LE this year, but something held me back. I loved looking at the 60th LE at my local OB, but when I thought about how often it would really get wrist time, well, I could always see other watches in my collection winning the sibling selection fight.

After Basel, the Longines Military Watch became a new (and indeed lower cost) contender for my first "vintage re-issue clone". I still feel a longing for some sort of Railmaster for my Omega collection and the blue dial option on a bracelet might be an option in the future, if I can bond with the controversial bronze/brown seconds hand.

I know several OF members do not like the Railmaster non-LE cross hair dial design etc., but I have seen increasing love in several watch forums (including the OF), with several hands-on review posts reinforcing the initial positive perception that I had with the black dial version last year.

Stealth Business / Sports Watch

I do feel a need for a more subdued alternative to my BLNR for low key business meetings.

I was always a fan of the IWC Ingy 3239 (now discontinued), with its Genta inspired design. I think the new Zenith Defy Classic blue dial is gorgeous, has Genta influence in the 70's case design and with the in-house Elite movement it overcomes the previous IWC 3229 package which was "limited" to a Sellita movement.
    zenithdefy4.jpg
    Photo from Horologium.com.au
    https://horologium.com.au/2018/03/29/baselworld-2018-zenith-classic-defy-automatic/

The Dreaded Smartwatch

Yes, I know I am being a heretic even considering a smartwatch, but the new Tag-Heuer 41mm Connected does look well made and a lot of fun. You can simulate various Carrera/Chronograph/Skeleton dials and the dial is "always on" so it does not have that awful black slab seen on so many smartwatches. It also fills (temporarily) my F1 watch reference itch, via the Tag-Heuer link to motorsport and specifically to my motor sport hero Ayrton Senna.

@2018-TAG-Heuer-Connected-Modular-41-1-4.jpg

Interested to read some other 2018 watch release evaluation short lists....

Longbow, ama98 and Bushido like this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 30, 2018

99435E91-8809-41F9-B38B-67E2A9B312E5.png

Not normally a fan of this style watch or the brand. Totally digging this one though.

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 30, 2018

In a word... vintage. ::stirthepot::

CdnWatchDoc, STANDY, adi4 and 3 others like this.
  4. Riviera Paradise Apr 30, 2018

I was wondering how long it would take for a "vintage only" post to appear on this thread. :rolleyes:

I am now trying to guess how many likes this Darlinboy post will receive to add to his already massive tally:D

5. ac106 May 1, 2018

Tudor GMT.

Might be the first watch i buy new at a boutique

I have always loved the Rolex GMT Master Pepsi but....

vintage prices are insane
    new prices are insane (and you can't get it anyway)
    It's a bit small on the wrist
    Rolex stigma

so the Tudor is right up my alley.
    Although if I can nitpick: They should have made it a Coke.

6. 77deluxe May 1, 2018

That new Hamilton khaki manual wound is pretty darn good.

7. Riviera Paradise May 1, 2018

The new Tudor GMT and new Black Bay 58 look very nice and are both good value propositions.

IMO the new GMT Master Pepsi is overrated, extremely hyped beyond reason + I really do not like the pink/purple bezel...prefer the sportier BLNR for a SS GMT. Yep, a Tudor Coke GMT would have been a killer option. I have also considered the 58 (still on the evaluation list but not in the top 5)...I just have a tough time bonding with the snowflake hand for some reason.

Just a friendly suggestion...the case thickness on the Tudor GMT might be something you would want to check out...it was a bit of a let down for me when I tried on some 2017 Black Bay Tudors. Good idea purchasing from a boutique so you can see / wear the watch on the wrist before pulling the trigger.

ac106 likes this.
  8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 1, 2018

Seven (7) minutes - I was surprised no one beat me to it.

Fewer than a rounding error.

9. Riviera Paradise May 1, 2018

Yep, agreed Darlinboy...looks like this thread has not generated any significant interest.

I suppose I should have just asked the thread question in one sentence rather than waste my time writing about some of the new watches released for 2018 that have attracted my attention as possible purchase candidates.

I should have learned my lesson by now...I should not waste my time writing long verbose posts on the OF. For example, I was going to take some pictures of the new Cartier Santos this week and take along my Reverso and Explorer for some comparison shots and post some pictures here on the OF...but honestly, why bother?:rolleyes:

10. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 1, 2018

I had little to no interest in looking at new releases outside of this message board. Honestly, I'm all watched out and my current collection is about where I want it to be. Aside I have 4 watches I don't wear and a couple I rarely wear, so I just don't have the bandwidth to get excited about new 2018 Basel releases.

And more to the point, I can't keep up with the escalating prices. So that too has turned me off. I am still looking for a 1969 era Mark II in case anyone wants to sell one so that they can buy a new Basel release.

I don't want a faux vintage watch. That too is my Basel take away. But given the trend, my guess is I'm in the minority.

11. Riviera Paradise May 1, 2018

I would say minority in the general industry trend, but your POV seems to reflect the majority of posters I have seen here on the OF.

12. jud May 1, 2018

Black Bay 58 is top of my list.

13. 77deluxe May 1, 2018

I suppose a faux vintage watch is good to wear when you own a clean example of the actual vintage watch.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  14. micampe May 1, 2018

I’ve been looking for something I can use when I’d rather not wear a vintage watch. I like this one.

upload_2018-5-1_18-37-24.jpeg

upload_2018-5-1_18-37-43.jpeg

15. AveConscientia May 1, 2018

Too many to choose, but here is a few
    IMG_7708.JPG IMG_7709.JPG IMG_7710.JPG
    IMG_7711.JPG
    Love the new slim presage as well.

Edited May 1, 2018
  16. jud May 1, 2018

17. Riviera Paradise May 1, 2018

Yep Seiko really is on a roll releasing more premium divers now. I also liked the SPB053/ 51 Seiko divers released during 2017. Might still prefer the SPB053 below over the baby turtle, but the turtle case is pretty cool:) Seiko-Prospex-Diver-SPB051-and-SPB053-Summer-Is-Coming-10-Great-Dive-Watches-Of-2017.jpg

Taddyangle likes this.
  18. Riviera Paradise May 1, 2018

Oh one 2018 watch release I forgot to mention that I very much want to evaluate live is the new SS Bulgari Octo Finissimo...which has a lighter tone compared to the initial Ti release in 2017. IMO from the photos I have seen the sandblasted SS looks "classier" compared to the Ti...see below Monochrome photos
    Bvlgari-Octo-Finissimo-Automatic-Steel-Baselworld-2018-1.jpg

Photo below: Sandblasted Gold, Ti, SS
    Bvlgari-Octo-Finissimo-Automatic-trilogy-titanium-steel-gold-Baselworld-2018.jpg

On a more general note I really do have trouble identifying with the Bulgari brand but I do applaud them for attempting to create a new, innovative mechanical luxury sports watch design as well as putting in significant technical effort for the extra thin movement and integrated bracelet.

19. micampe May 1, 2018

Oh yes, I forgot about it. I agree with this but the Octo Finissimo is such a home run. I want one of each.

20. ac106 May 1, 2018

I love cartier watches. That makes makes the minority within the minority around here.

I love the previous Santos but I’m not sure about the new bezel. Please take pics.

The drive de cartier extra flat rose gold is a true grail for me.