Forums Latest Members
  1. Matt B May 8, 2013

I had a few cocktails last night and went on eBay and this Omega Seamaster caught my eye:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230966418654?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I put in a really low ball bid, and this morning he ended up accepting it. So the watch is now mine.

However after looking at it with a clear head, I'm starting to have doubts about it's originality. I've never seen a seamaster with that type of second hand. the crown also looks very suspect.

Any thoughts guys? Does this watch look like a Franken seamaster or worse a fake?

I'm still new to vintage seamasters, so any expert insight would be appreciated.

2. ulackfocus May 8, 2013

Hi Matt. This watch has problems. It's a 166.0087, but has a replacement crown, refinished dial (or that seller would brag about it being original), and a poor attempt at polishing out gouges. Top that off with a caliber 1002 (without pictures nonetheless) - one of the worst from that era - and you have a dud.

I'd say you should attach a breathalizer to your computer that won't let you log on until your sober! :p

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 8, 2013

[​IMG]

No "Swiss Made" at the bottom and the A's are pointed at the top, when they should have a flat top.

Not sure about the seconds hand, it should probably reach out to the edge. Date is out of alignment. Watch looks to be overpolished also. Listing says that the watch has a "bumper-style" movement. If it does, you should return it immediately. Movement should be a rotor automatic. I think it should be this one:

http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=14539

The seller is a big-time vintage watch dealer and author. He should know better.

http://www.eashland.net/products/watchGuide.cfm

Apparently, he doesn't think so.
    gatorcpa

P.S. I'd use the above to try to rescind the deal. IMO, the watch has been misrepresented and important facts seem to have been omitted from the listing.

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 8, 2013

Does the inner case wall in dial show some corrosion trace?

5. Matt B May 9, 2013

Thanks guys! Just as I had suspected... a dud! I'm sure I'm not the first to be taken, and not the last.

I've just had a craving for a 70's style seamster lately that I got a little over anxious (and as previously mentioned the wine didn't help). I've requested that he refund my money, but it looks like I'm stuck with it for $325. I wonder if someone would need the parts or if it would be worth going though it and giving it a proper restoration? I know the 1970s Seamasters are not the most sought after, but I love the "chunkier" look of the cases from that era. I guess I'm on odd duck.

I'm obviously brand new here, but I can't thank you enough for your time and expertise. What a great resource with some very smart and friendly people. I feel like I'll be able to get a great education on here before I make another costly mistake.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 9, 2013

Not if you paid with a credit card or by PayPal. I'd threaten to open a case with either based on the misrepresentations in the listing as described above.

It's one thing if the watch was correctly described as a put-together POS. It's quite another when there is an implication that it is all original and turns out to be a mess of miscellaneous non-original parts like this one.

I feel very strongly that knowledgeable dealers shouldn't take advantage of newbies like yourself this way. I think eBay feels the same way. It's bad for business.

Good luck and please let us know how it turns out,
    gatorcpa

MKelley likes this.
  7. ulackfocus May 9, 2013

Agreed - "item not as described" is a valid reason for a refund. Tell the seller that, and point him to this thread if necessary. I think I can safely say all of us here would like to stop this crap from happening on eBay, even if we have to try one listing at a time.

MKelley and Privateday7 like this.
  8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 9, 2013

The bay is full of landmines. I think it happens for both side the seller and the buyer. Several times encountered fishy offering myself.
    I can imagine the sellers also encounters many scammers themselves.
    I am really glad forum like ours further the cause to make the trade in bay more fair.:thumbsup:

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 9, 2013

The eBay ad says 14 days money back.

10. ulackfocus May 9, 2013

I wonder how many signatures it would take on a petition to have eBay's name legally changed to "eBay - caveat emptor in action".

11. pitpro Likes the game. May 9, 2013

If that's the case, then no brainer.
    Tell him you are returning watch for refund.
    If he balks threaten to open case as gatorcpa suggested
    He will take it back

12. Matt B May 9, 2013

Thank you gents. I will for sure return it if he sends it. I'm just waiting for his response to my initial request to cancel it. Would be nice to have it taken care of before he sends it. It is frustrating being on a budget and trying to find a decent vintage Seamaster... I would have much preferred it was beat up more and had more "character" or patina, rather than being something poorly assembled from bad parts. And the level of fraudulence in his description is really starting to make me angry as well.

Once I came to my senses and looked at it carefully I knew I had made a bad decision, but I didn't know it was this bad. And I have to admit, seeing that he was an author and a supposed expert in vintage watches gave me quite a bit of false confidence.

13. MyVintageOmega May 10, 2013

Good luck Matt.....and all aside......welcome to the forum.:thumbsup: ::popcorn::