Forums Latest Members

Possibly a silly questions regarding redials.........

1. mozambique Nov 28, 2014

It seems that about 90% of enquiries regarding Seamasters and Constellations etc. for sale on ebay turn out to be redials. What gives? Were the original dials of crappy quality and were not made to last, or are we talking about totally fake watches.......just curious. Seems to be a bit of a mine field out there and I am amazed at times with the ability of some of you to sniff out an unoriginal dial (keep it up!).

2. alam Nov 28, 2014

In most cases I'd say neither of the reasons you suggested. A redialed watch and one with a untouched dial serve two different markets. I believe redials are to appease the majority of buyers who are in the market for a vintage watch with an immaculate look and don't care about anything else like the collectabilty aspect of the watch. On the other hand, hardcore collectors, with the desire for a pure watch in its original condition as it left the factory, are found only in minority camps.

Edited Nov 28, 2014
  3. mozambique Nov 28, 2014

Ahhh.........my knowledge of Omega's is limited to vintage speedmasters. So is it just that Speedmasters are more collectable and hence originality (despite the best efforts of the Omega service dept.) is more sought after (Speedy values are higher). i.e. due to lower prices, the market for other Omega models is larger and hence, buyers may be less discerning re. originality?

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 29, 2014

Can't really compare the Seamaster/Constellation buyer to a Speedmaster buyer, really apples to grapefruit there. Speedmasters have a much more specific and generally discerning buyer not really related to price.

As already noted, most people looking for a vintage watch are looking for something that looks shiny on their wrist not a collector piece and there is nothing wrong with that.

5. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Nov 29, 2014

Most speedmasters are post '65 by this time manufacturing processes had improved and the watches have had less time to degrade. And service dials are relatively frequently seen on older speedies for sale.

6. JohnSteed Nov 29, 2014

Most (maybe all) OFers may be EXcluded here

But is there such a thing as a sympathetic relume ????

7. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Nov 29, 2014

Hahaha, those at chronocentric certainly think so ;)

8. Psych Nov 29, 2014

Comparing apples to grapefruit. Don't you mean apples to Spacefruit?

dougiedude likes this.
  9. mozambique Nov 29, 2014

Yes, I am aware of the number of Speedy redials, but the Speedy redials use factory parts, without someone handwriting the lettering on the dial. I conclude that spare parts for all models are not universally available.

10. mozambique Nov 29, 2014

But is there such a thing as a sympathetic relume ????[/QUOTE]

What is the general opinion on this (curious)?

If a dial's patina is too far gone, then options are limited. Live with it, or get some sympathetic reluming done. Obviously a personal decision, but if it is carried out without intention to deceive, then it would seem to be okay.

11. Cortezthekiller Nov 29, 2014

Relume is a tough one. A 40-50 Y.O. watch with battle scars and patina that lights up like a Xmas tree in the dark just doesn't FEEL right. However, I do understand the desire and love things that glow in the dark.

I'm more OK with painting hands to match dial patina. As long as it's disclosed, it can make a mediocre piece really shine.

12. mozambique Nov 29, 2014

Don't really care about the glowing aspect, its more wrt a dial where the markers are too far gone