Forums Latest Members

Possibly a new scam on eBay?

1. WYO_Watch Oct 6, 2017

I purchased a watch yesterday at a decent price, but not an obvious fake from a 0% seller. In fact, this seller has quite a bit of feedback. I am nearly positive that this is a scam though. Today I get this not incredibly cryptic message:

Hello! We are pretty thankful for your purchase, I just have a few things to tell you before. First we want to apologize to you, we published this item as a market research. As a full disclosure we get our watches from pawnshops and judicial auctions, so they are second handed but on pristine condition. We are going to have physically this watch in about two weeks from now, we want to honor your purchase and interest in our product so once we have the item we will send you the link with real photos and the sapphire test on the front and the back of the watch, right know we are going to refund you the money you already paid for it, once we have the item we will contact you thru eBay to tell you we are about to publish the watch, so you can be the first one in line if you are still interested. Once again, our sincerely apologies we are right know making the refund to your account.

Thoughts? Anyone else receive a similiar message from anyone? Thanks

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 6, 2017

I would report it to eBay, and include the message they sent.

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 6, 2017

I've never seen that, and yes. Suspect. Report it.

4. WYO_Watch Oct 6, 2017

I'll look for the report button on messages. Interesting line of excuses, eh? I didn't respond to the seller yet, but I may do that as well.

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  5. Euxinus Oct 6, 2017

I assume the way this plays out if it is a scam is that you will be contacted in a couple days saying they have the item and to send the money to some paypal without you actually going through ebay.

6. Watchmutt Oct 6, 2017

Run, don't walk, away from this scam.

7. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 6, 2017

clearly a scam...anyone who asks you to deal outside of ebay is suspect. This is beyond suspect. Please report this to ebay immediately.

8. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Oct 6, 2017

What country is that scam located in, please? Do you have a link or a seller profile to share?

citizenrich likes this.
  9. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 6, 2017

Interesting take on the English language.

IDXM likes this.
  10. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 6, 2017

I can't even begin to imagine what the heck these scammers are up to.

Worst case scenario:

*They* now have your home address, know you are liquid for XXX dollars, that you probably have a nice stash of expensive baubles at your home and *they've* a cousin or some fellow traveler(s) living in your city.

Be careful.

WhatYourWatchSay and Uniqez like this.
  11. Speedy_Gonzales Oct 6, 2017

I was going to say I would pass on the seller due to grammar alone. You beat me to it.

Justme and Spruce like this.
  12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 6, 2017

CALL eBay ASAP.
    Call paypal ASAP.
    Don not respond or reply to the seller.

13. Dial & Bezel Oct 7, 2017

That message from the seller is super sketchy. I'd report to eBay immediately.

14. pix98 Oct 7, 2017

report and be carefull....
    :(

15. brunik Oct 7, 2017

Doesn’t look safe indeed... report

16. peire06 Oct 8, 2017

I fully agree with Euxinus. They will most likely contact you in few days, tell you that the watch has finally arrived (earlier than expected -- so you are happy!) and ask you to pay outside Ebay.

You should definitely report to Ebay. While you knew something was fishy, many others won't and will be screwed.

Peire06

17. mikesspeedy Oct 9, 2017

Must be reported, obviously a scam. Make sure your insurance is up to date, fit some CCTV.