Forums Latest Members

Possible tri-compax acquisition??

1. Dre Jul 6, 2015

Hi,

I was offered this tri-compax with a cal 481 which I think it's in pretty good condition. The case seems to be unpolished, stainless steel, original dial with blued steel subdial hands and large hand, crisp moonphase disc which looks great with the creamy colour dial.

But I'm pretty sure the large leaf hands with central fissure arent meant to be for this watch. Does anyone know what's the correct hands for this particular watch? I quite like watch but the price arent that cheap and if I might pass on it if I have to spend quite a lot of money for the correct hands as well, not including the waiting time until I found it.

Also, is that font on the day and the month meant to be different like that? The day font seems to be heaps thicker than the month. Really appreciate all your help!

Thanks heaps

Andre

View attachment 139561 View attachment 139562

2. ELV web Jul 6, 2015

The dial looks fine, I have reservations about the minute and hour hands, they don't look original UG. Also best to get a photo of the movement to ensure there is no rust etc. etc.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 6, 2015

Uneven fonts are OK, but the hands are probably not. Very unlikely to have lume hands but no lume on the dial

4. valjoux72 Jul 6, 2015

Does the moonphase has a face? Otherwise it's a later change. Hands look like later exchange, but not absolutley sure. What's the price for the watch?

5. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jul 6, 2015

It most likely had dauphine hands. The date and hour register hands are also replacements.

I have always suspected this, but do you have documentation to prove this?

6. Dre Jul 6, 2015

The movement is completely fine, I just forgotten to take the photo of the movement because I was in a rush!

Thanks for confirming the fonts!

Didnt even realize that there's a moonphase that doesn't have a face, interesting! My friend is asking USD 4,2k (plus a couple beers when we catch up haha) which I think quite fair for this watch that's why I'm considering it, he knows that I've got couple other Universals as well.

Thanks for confirming Jordan! I reckon the moonphase face would make an interesting discussion!

7. valjoux72 Jul 7, 2015

I just found the information about moonphase face on an very interesting website of a german watchmaker who is specailized in UG tricompax.
    BTW: He postet an impressive description of a complete Tricompax overhaul here at the UG forum.
    http://www.tri-compax.de/Universal_Tri_Compax.html
    Here you can see the face on my UG.

wrist neu klein.jpg
  8. Dre Jul 9, 2015

I'm gonna pass on this watch, I think I prefer an original hands without me having to be on a mission looking for it. And it actually sits a tad smaller than my 36mm compax, and my compax is just the perfect size for me now so I'd rather wait for the right one as well.

My mate is willing to let it go for USD 4k now. You guys can pm me if anyone is interested.

9. ELV web Jul 30, 2015

Why don't you check out the private watch sales thread. One of thr very knowledgeable members of this forum has a tri-compac listed there.

nicolas07 likes this.
  10. Dre Aug 5, 2015

Just saw this! I'm kinda looking for the right one and paying in USD is something that I'd rather avoid at the moment since the AUD has gone down heaps! But yeah, not many UGs around in Sydney.