Forums Latest Members
  1. ChrisN Jul 7, 2013

Hello,

First post here so a little introduction to start.

I am interested in this particular model of Seamaster purely based on looks. I don't have any history collecting watches of this or any other era but, in the late nineties, I became interested in mechanical watches and bought two new Omegas, a Constellation and a Speedmaster Pro. I have been very happy with both of them but, classic car purchases/driving got in the way and it has taken me a long time to return to this interest.

I found a website here: http://www.vintagegoldwatches.com/product-category/omega/ who have a 1962 example at ₤1375 although it may be possible to get this a couple of hundred cheaper.

I would prefer to buy from a dealer to lessen the chances of a bad experience to start with and understand that I am paying a premium but, the watch is the one I am looking for and looks to be correct to me. However, I know little about what to look for with regards to these watches in general. It is specified as having an unrestored dial, which I like, and although the rear looks smoothed, the rest looks like it is in honest condition.

I would be most grateful for any comments and thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Chris.

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 7, 2013

I cannot help myself and say that buying from a dealer might not be the panacea you think. (Not talking about this watch/ dealer, just in general)

I have bought a few watches in my time and the ONLY time I have had bad experiences is from dealers.

I expect them to declare for example, a relumed dial, a substitute movement, to have box and papers when they say they do, only to discover post payment and watch delivery they do not. I expect them to know the model reference. All of these things have happened to me. I am not talking about the specific dealer you are refering to, only my own experience with people who are supposed to be pretty high up the tree, with global reputations.....and dont get me started on auction houses.

In fact it is more likely for a watch to come from the trade with incorrect parts than a private source. Mind you the 12 month guarantee is nice....if the dealer is still around. (Again, I dont know this dealer so I am not talking about them, just a general observation).

In any buisiness the traders are there to make a living, and good luck to them. I find myself only buying from traders if they dont understand what they have ( and many dont in my narrow little focus), or if they have something rare and special I can find nowhere else. - which by the way might be the case here.

Now I must also say, that when I first bought a watch, i did exactly what you are suggesting, and bought from a dealer. Like all knowledge, mine was aquired expending some time money and angst. The dealer you show is certainly a well presented internet dealer, but does seem to lack a physical presence - in todays age not uncommon, but harder to check up on.

Wellcome and good luck with your search!

3. ulackfocus Jul 7, 2013

Don't buy that watch on that website. It's been polished so much that the Seamaster hippocampus logo is horrible. You can get a nicer conditioned one for less if you don't mind searching on eBay for a good one.

4. ulackfocus Jul 7, 2013

5. Pete568 Jul 7, 2013

Did you see the Centenary for sale on this web site?

6. ChrisN Jul 7, 2013

Thanks Dennis. This was my main concern but, I was unsure exactly what to expect. Unfortunately, it is exactly the model that I wanted. Ah well, there is no urgency.

7. ChrisN Jul 7, 2013

Thanks. This seems like sound advice and I have experienced similar problems with classic car dealers. I suppose that the preferred solution would be to deal with someone like minded, for example on this forum. This is a case of 'dipping a toe in the water' and the replies so far have been very helpful. I will keep looking and bear your comments in mind.

8. ulackfocus Jul 7, 2013

Yes, I noticed it. For the record, I bought mine in better shape for less than that - IN US DOLLARS, NOT BRITISH POUNDS !!! :eek: Anyway, this is another watch they spoiled by being a little heavy on the polishing, but not as over polished as the Seamaster in question. The bezel on the Centenary has lost the crispness on it's bevel. :( Even though this isn't the best close-up, you can see how defined the bevel is in the first picture of this post:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/most-wanted-most-desired-most-valued.4647/#post-53872

9. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 7, 2013

IIRC, this dealer sells on eBay under the name of alanabraxus or something like that.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 7, 2013

Your best bet avoiding a bad experience is buying from a known reputable collector, there are a lot of guys here (most that have been around a long time and with high post counts) that own a lot of Omegas and will often prune, or sell off pieces in this price range or less to fund more expensive and rarer pieces. They're not purely in the business of buy low sell high, they're more buy well, sell reasonably.

11. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jul 7, 2013

Well, some people say differently. Don't buy from a collector, he screens his collection then keep the better, let the lesser go.

Buying from a collector's widow is ok.

Privateday7 likes this.
  12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 7, 2013

So...the collector's gotta have an "accident"?:eek:

13. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 7, 2013

About your el Primeros, Lou.........

14. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 7, 2013

Well speaking only for this collector, my worst speedmaster is better than anything on the market right now....
    Then again I am not selling! Not until next years school fees anyway.

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 7, 2013

No that is what a Hoi does :p. Many collectors sell very good watches for a variety of reasons: to fiance another important purchase, personal financial needs, to change the focus/direction of their collection, or just losing interest in their large burdening collection.
    And yes widows are good too.;)

16. ulackfocus Jul 7, 2013

What if the collector is moving up? For example, he would sell a very nice condition 14ct 168.005 pie pan because he had a sweet 18ct 2799 pie pan. Know what I mean Hoi? ;) :p

That is soooooo NY/NJ/Philly it's scary. :eek: And all this time I thought you were more evolved than the average Vinnie.

17. ulackfocus Jul 7, 2013

Did somebody call me?

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 7, 2013

Been trying so hard to convince Dennis to come to Minnesota for a little Great Lakes "Boating" :whistling:

19. Pete568 Jul 7, 2013

Back to that Centenary...... IMO, replacement hands and re paint.

20. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jul 7, 2013

Yes Steve. I have been doing that and I sell my watches anonymously, the buyers will look at the watch (not the seller) then decide,

In our for sale section, I have found lots of "incorrect watches " sold by collectors .....;)