Possible repair shop replaced damaged dial face with a fake?

I got this 70’s Seamaster DeVille serviced and the service shop (general shop, not Omega) damaged the dial face. They ‘sent it out to be repaired’ and the dial face was replaced. The new dial face looks to be of lower quality than the original (I don’t have photos of the original), so I’m wondering if it’s possible that it’s fake? Is there any way to identify it as being real or fake other than sending it to Omega directly?

Thanks.

I got this 70’s Seamaster DeVille serviced and the service shop (general shop, not Omega) damaged the dial face. They ‘sent it out to be repaired’ and the dial face was replaced. The new dial face looks to be of lower quality than the original (I don’t have photos of the original), so I’m wondering if it’s possible that it’s fake? Is there any way to identify it as being real or fake other than sending it to Omega directly?

Thanks.
It just looks like an original Omega dial that has been restored/re-dialed. That is, the original dial was stripped of surface items (index markers/emblem/text) and the surface was stripped of paint.
A new paint finish was then added in a sunburst style, the minute markers and text applied with an ink stamp (cliche). the surface was then probably given a coat of clear laquer, The hardware was re-attached to the dial.

Without photos of the original dial it's impossible to say if it's better or worse than before.

You are also missing a crown/stem.

It just looks like an original Omega dial that has been restored/re-dialed. That is, the original dial was stripped of surface items (index markers/emblem/text) and the surface was stripped of paint.
A new paint finish was then added in a sunburst style, the minute markers and text applied with an ink stamp (cliche). the surface was then probably given a coat of clear laquer, The hardware was re-attached to the dial.

Without photos of the original dial it's impossible to say if it's better or worse than before.

You are also missing a crown/stem.

Thanks. Do you think this is something they would have done to the original damaged dial (movement screw pushed through the dial face, but did not penetrate) or would this have been a different dial that was restored?

Dial is brass, so fixing the hole would be simple soldering.
Who would know though.

As others have noted the original dial has simply been refinished, it's not a fake dial.

Also the hands are not original or correct and the tension ring inside the crystal is missing.

As others have noted the original dial has simply been refinished, it's not a fake dial.

Also the hands are not original or correct and the tension ring inside the crystal is missing.

Can you comment more on the hands? This watch was my grandfathers retirement watch (case is engraved by his company in 1971). I guess it's possible he changed the hands himself? Do you recognize them as genuine Omega or could they be something else?

They appear to be generic replacements of an incorrect style. The minute and second hands should just reach the minute track.

See below for a correct original dial and hands.

IMG_8358.JPG
Edited:

..................movement screw pushed through the dial face.....................

I'd suggest finding another watchmaker.

It’s unlikely to be fake but they’ve made a mess of the redial - it is very poor quality.

looks like they made a mess of the whole thing - I'm wondering what you initially meant when you initially said 'lower quality'?

looks like they made a mess of the whole thing - I'm wondering what you initially meant when you initially said 'lower quality'?

Dial, printing, logo placement all look bad. I had this done when I was much younger and didn't know any better.

They appear to be generic replacements of an incorrect style. The minute and second hands should just reach the minute track.

See below for a correct original dial and hands.

Ok thanks. This dial is much closer to what the original was. Would it be possible to 'redo' this dial back closer to what you posted, or possible to purchase one like that? If so, do you have any suggestions for where?

It is next to impossible to recreate an old dial. The printing process is pretty much the same used for currency, so without the 'factory plates' It will never be 'good enough.'

Some say there are refinishers in south east asia (Like Veitnam) what can do really good work. A lot of the repainted stuff from India looks real nice in the listing photos. This is going to be somewhat grey market. And needs to be out of the realm of intelectual property rights.

The other option is to wait for a similar watch to show up on the market, and swap dials. Dials do show up on resale and auction sites. It can be a long wait.

There are billions of watches in the world. The case and dial are what differentiates them.

You can also have the omega factory redo the dial. Its expensive but they do a great job.

You can also have the omega factory redo the dial. Its expensive but they do a great job.

Any clue round about what something like that would cost?

This watch is important to me (only thing I have of my grandfathers) so I'm willing to wait to find a good dial or similar watch to canibalize. Any suggestions for where to keep an eye out?

Try and find a relatively inexpensive donor watch online with a dial in the condition you desire.

The redial I had done at the omega factory cost about $900. The result was really good and its an option I consider when there is nothing to lose.
Omega CK 2757 After treatment 1 cropped.jpeg

That being said, there are people here who have had redials done that are equally good for less.