Forums Latest Members

Poor Warranty Service, OMEGA lost a customer today

1. jrr Apr 11, 2018

I purchased an Omega Seamaster from an Authorized dealer late last year. A few weeks ago the movement started losing significant time, up to 15 minutes a day. Manual winding seemed to help some, but the lost time always came back, sometimes less, sometimes more. I stopped wearing it for a few days, and upon trying to manually wind and re-start the watch found that it was now completely stopped.

I took the watch back to the AD, who sent it to the service center for review and repair. I just found that after a week plus that Omega will not be honoring the warranty. I was informed that the service center had determined the watch stopped due to a "shock", and quoted $550 to repair it. Obviously I was unhappy with this, and requested more information. The AD rep called back and said the service center determined that the watch was subjected to shock, not dropped mind you, just "shock", and that this caused the watch movement to stop. There was no damage to the case, dents, etc. that would indicate any external damage or shock. I questioned how it was that a watch rated at 5000g shock resistance could simply stop without being subjected to abuse or neglect. He indicated that the service center advised that it was known that if the watch took shock at the 6-12 o'clock area then it would cause damage requiring repair.

Again, I asked how it was that with no evidence of abuse or neglect this fell outside the warranty. Apparently Omega does not cover ANY kind of shock, regardless of whether it is due to abuse or neglect, or simply daily wear with some sort of "shock" to exactly the right place, a defect that Omega is apparently aware of but won't cover.

I am having the rep send me a complete report on what the service center says caused the failure and why they believe the failure is not covered under warranty. In the meantime, I was offered a discount on the service, to $412.50. Obviously I feel this is entirely inadequate, but since Omega won't budge on the issue and at the moment I have a watch worth $0., I will have to pay.

It is very disappointing that such an expensive watch is so utterly incapable of standing up to daily use. The $300 g-shock I wear camping is more capable. Heck, a $45 Timex can be thrown against a wall and "keep on ticking". Very sad, especially considering that a. Omega advertises the watch in conjunction with an active lifestyle, even marketing it as the choice of 007, which it clearly is not capable of handling, and b. I specifically told my AD that I wanted the Seamaster over the Speedmaster due to its better water rating, and overall more robust and durable nature, as I didn't intend to wear the watch as the proverbial "desk diver".

Omega has lost a customer.

FedFod, Syrte, htiek and 7 others like this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 11, 2018

Wow. Good post, and I would be similarly disappointed.

3. Reddy_Kilowatt Apr 11, 2018

One word: escalate.

4. adi4 Apr 11, 2018

I wouldn't sign or pay anything, if I were you, until they are ready to make it right.

Riviera Paradise, Pun and Starman71 like this.
  5. ulackfocus Apr 11, 2018

Ahhhh yes - the classic first post rant!

6. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 11, 2018

Wow, thanks for coming here and dumping that. I suspect many here will now dump our Omegas.

FWIW, your watch is not currently worth $0. It is worth the resale value of one of similar age/ cosmetic condition less the cost of a service.

7. jrr Apr 11, 2018

"Ahhhh yes - the classic first post rant!" Haha, yes I know it is pretty classic. What can I say? People don't usually go on the internet to rave about a product.

The sad truth is I LOVED this watch. I wore it EVERY day for months. I bought it with money inherited from my grand mother and it was supposed to be a memento that would last to be passed on. Now I'm not sure I'll even keep it. I may just take the hit and sell it, and buy something that will actually last.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  8. jrr Apr 11, 2018

Yes, obviously. I imagine worldwide OMEGA sales will drop to nothing. Is it a nice watch? Absolutely, I loved this watch. That's why I am so disappointed in the way Omega handled the situation. And I know it still has resale value, but as I am sure everyone here is aware that is a huge loss compared to MSRP (which thanks to the stranglehold on sales that AD have, nobody in LA is paying much less than MSRP from an AD.) And, of course, the watch had sentimental value, and I don't want to sell it. Anyway.. it's my rant, it's my opinion. Reasonable minds may differ, but I'm pretty cheesed at Omega right now.

Alphasports likes this.
  9. ScubaPro Actually dives with dive watches!!! Apr 11, 2018

I think the answer is talk to somebody in a management position at the service center. Tell your story and be polite. Unless they have some proof that you threw the watch across the room and onto a ceramic tile floor, I would be very surprised if they didn't see reason and honor the warranty.

If anybody dumps their watch because of a post they read on a watch forum, you are lost. Forums are a hotbed of inaccurate, misleading and downright false information. It's the nature of the beast.

10. Starman71 Apr 11, 2018

1) Escalate.
    2) Leverage social media (public). For example, sending a PM to Omega’s Facebook etc indicates that you are social media savvy and could erase a few thousand euros of marketing budget with a few well placed and thought out public posts. They might respond.
    3) Small claims court
    4) Letter from an attorney

11. Starman71 Apr 11, 2018

Don’t blame the OP for posting he probably came here searching for ideas and help. Sometimes we feel the most betrayed by those we love the most.

FedFod, rkim11, BrianMcKay and 9 others like this.
  12. ulackfocus Apr 11, 2018

I'd be lying if I said I've never done it. ;)

How's your keyboard feeling after the pounding it took while you feverishly typed that mini-manifesto? :p

kingsrider likes this.
  13. Pun Apr 11, 2018

I think OP deserves our support and help in getting his issue resolved with Omega. And that’s reasonable and fair expectation from this forum. After all we all come here to discuss Omega. Just my 2 cents....

rkim11, BrianMcKay, Foo2rama and 18 others like this.
  14. Reddy_Kilowatt Apr 11, 2018

Yeah, that reminds me. I had a car once and the control arm bushings failed, so I just had it hauled to the dump.I usually assume that when one specimen out of many thousands fails, the design and manufacturing are shite and we might as well just throw them all in the bin.

15. Reddy_Kilowatt Apr 11, 2018

Wait, what? You paid MSRP? That's probably what you should be pissed about.

morningtundra and heccsat like this.
  16. Pun Apr 11, 2018

No. I disagree. We should see that the issues with car are resolved to the satisfaction of the owner by the manufacturer, if it’s a good company. That’s it.

Starman71 and EatMan like this.
  17. EatMan Apr 11, 2018

I understand your sentiment. I had issues with my CK2998LE and my Globemaster. My Globemaster is with service for the 2nd time right now. All this within a year span. My OB has taken care of me and I appreciate the customer service but the repeat issues with my Omegas have made me think twice about adding another Omega to the collection. Omega is still my brand of choice but I do hesitate.

Pun likes this.
  18. Foxy100 Apr 12, 2018

A few years back I had a rubbish experience with Omega in Bond Street in London and vowed never to use them again (on the plus side it prompted me to find STS and Simon Freese). I seem to recall I had a few choice things to say about them online. Fortunately new Omegas are well out of my price range (and I bought all my old ones before prices went silly) because I can't see myself buying one again purely because of the way I was treated. I didn't have to escalate beyond the store (I just refused to leave - the first time (yes, it happened twice, despite all my paperwork being correct they just didn't want to honour it) - until after the store had closed but in the OP's case Omega needs to explain fully what has happened to his watch and why.

georgeszaslavsky likes this.
  19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 12, 2018

You have warranty rights. Read them

Did the AD send it to Omega or one of their mates.

Be like a dog with a bone and make sure it went to Omega not the ADs so called service centre. This may be a front

Kmart, Pun, Reddy_Kilowatt and 7 others like this.
  20. bonerp Apr 12, 2018

I'm not sure taking a pop at the OP helps or puts those of you who are in a good light.

We've all had situation where a rant is a good outlet and I'm sure some of the sensible advice being given will help to resolve the problem.

I'm afraid that should Omega have changed its stance of warranty claims and they now assume bumps have occurred rather than having any factual proof, it will damage their sales longer term so this is one to watch out for. As mentioned a 'sport' watch that can't take the odd knock is about as useless as a chocolate teapot.

If I'd spent thousands (even hundreds) on a watch that stopped within warranty and a repair wasn't honoured (especially where no damage is visible) I'd be pretty peeved too.

Good luck OP in resolving your claim. Usually a calm convo with management or from where you bough it will help move things along.

EatMan, Kmart, texasmade and 3 others like this.