Forums Latest Members
  1. GHigh Sep 14, 2016

[​IMG]

2. GHigh Sep 14, 2016

I am considering bidding on this watch from a private seller whow inherited it. Condition apparently good and keeps time OK, but not recently serviced. Little other info provided. Photo of back looks kosher....identical to my own Connie Piepan. Quite a steep price though, claiming that a jewellers put valuation of around 1500 $ because the day and date display makes it more sought after.
    Any comments?

3. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Sep 14, 2016

My "standard" answer to the "the-jeweller-said-it's-worth-1500 " phrase is:

Well, then hand it over to him and ask if he gives you the 1500 bucks he just told you it is worth...;):whistling::D

If the doesn't it is because it is not worth 1500

ConElPueblo likes this.
  4. 72c Sep 14, 2016

ConElPueblo and ahartfie like this.
  5. ConElPueblo Sep 15, 2016

It's not rare and it is not particularly sought-after - that's not to say that it isn't a great watch, which it most definitely is!
    The jeweller's valuation is bollocks. Unless it's in solid gold, which I can't tell from that photo ;)

They come up for sale quite often and should cost quite a bit less than that one. Here are three examples that have been sold on eBay:

USA $550Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    USA $466Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Mexico $454Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

cristos71 likes this.
  6. GHigh Sep 15, 2016

Excellent advice, guys. Thanks for keeping it real... ;-)

Got a few more pics. Looks gold plated to me but can't tell. Nice bracelet, but I think I'd prefer to get a less "shiny", more elegant version.
    Thinking of Omega 30mm with solid gold case from the 50/60s
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. ConElPueblo Sep 15, 2016

It's a "gold cap" version. It has a much heavier layer of gold than what you'd find in a gold (electro)plated watch. The bracelet is plated, in this case a somewhat thinner plating, but a genuine Omega item.

These 70's models are a somewhat aqcuired taste and very different from what was offered in the fifties and early sixties. No doubt you'll be able to find a good gold Omega - but do your research first, or you might end up paying n00b tax for a sub-par piece.

And welcome aboard, by the way :)

WatchmakerTheory and 72c like this.
  8. GHigh Sep 16, 2016

Agree with your comment on "acquired taste". Technical aspects and price aside, the look and feel is definitely not "vintage" or classic IMHO.
    Might be the photo, but overall impression is almost a bit "bling", though obviously I would need to see it in the flesh.
    However, you've done enough to confirm my hunch that it's not for me, so thanks a lot for your expert input.