Forums Latest Members

Poll and Query on Omega 57 Reissue

1. Green Omega Apr 3, 2018

Hi!

I wish to know those who purchased the Omega 1957 reissue

A) If you are contented with one or plan to get another one or all three?

B) If you are missing one, which one is it?

Also, which among the three do you think is the hardest to find or source?

Thanks in advance!

2. Agentmeister4 Apr 3, 2018

I'll get the ball rolling I guess.

A) I have the Speedmaster and I am very content with it but I am still lusting after the Railmaster.

B) I am missing the Railmaster and Seamaster 300.

I think the Speedmaster is the hardest to find. I have seen the Railmaster and Seamaster 300 available at OB on multiple occasions in the span of the last 3 weeks but not the Speedmaster.

Green Omega likes this.
  3. Caliber561 Apr 3, 2018

I think the hardest one to find at an OB is the Speedmaster, but plenty of them are available on the secondary market. The Railmaster and Seamaster are available in OBs and ADs, but I don't see the Seamaster 300 a ton in the secondary market.

I have the Railmaster and love it, and I'd consider a Seamaster 300, but I'm kind of against the Speedmaster since it doesn't have chronometer rating or a silicon balance spring.

Pun and Green Omega like this.
  4. frazierspa Apr 3, 2018

Green Omega, just curious, why do you ask? Are you thinking about purchasing one, two or all three?
    Scott

Green Omega and rohnin like this.
  5. rohnin Apr 3, 2018

I wish people would stop calling it the 57 reissue, because those were made years ago. This is the 60th Anniversary

gemini4, oddboy, Pun and 2 others like this.
  6. Meme-Dweller Apr 3, 2018

A) Had the Speedmaster 60th anniversary, I loved everything about the watch except the ridiculous Planet Ocean-style clasp and flipped it in 2 weeks because it was too uncomfortable to wear

B) Won't buy another one even though I'm loving the look of the Seamaster, but they all use the same clasp.

frederico and Green Omega like this.
  7. whitestripes Apr 3, 2018

I have the 60th anniversary and I love it. Saw the railmaster and seamaster at the OB and didnt think they were on the same level

Green Omega likes this.
  8. Green Omega Apr 3, 2018

I’m sorry about the monicker. Agree with your thought.

9. Green Omega Apr 3, 2018

Hi Scott
    Thank you for asking. I currently have 2 of the 3 — the Seamaster 300 60th and just recently the Speedmaster 60th. I love both of them. And I’m seriously contemplating of getting the Railmaster 60th to round up the Trilogy collection at my end. Both of my AD don’t have the RM 60th but they promised to get me one as soon as it arrives. Just thought of asking on how hard one it is to source one of these timepieces.

To share also, my late Dad bequeathed to me a Trilogy of Seamaster dress watches from the 50s/60s. It is one of my first posts here in this forum. I thought that I should start my own Omega Trilogy.

mbeast likes this.
  10. Green Omega Apr 3, 2018

I never understood the issue of the clasp in the 60th anniversary. Looks good, fit securely and love the heft of these bracelets. Maybe you can share the reason for this issue. Thanks!

11. Green Omega Apr 3, 2018

What gets me excited on the Railmaster and Seamaster 60th is that both of them looks “twin” and are MC certified. But yes you’re right, IMO nothing beats the iconic Speedmaster 60th issue.

12. Green Omega Apr 3, 2018

With a Speedy Moonwatch Professional in my collection, I had the same thought as yours. However, upon seeing the Speedmaster you just can’t deny it’s a faithful execution of the original Speedmaster. I just gotta have it. And the rest, as they say, is history.

13. Green Omega Apr 3, 2018

Thank you for starting the ball rolling with your first reply. Like you, I’m lusting for a Railmaster 60th now and have seen some really nice photo and review of the watch. It will also complete my own Trilogy collection.

To add, I collect watches in threes and had my own version of Trifecta/Trinity collection for the other brands. But this is one of the Trilogy versions that one should have in his/her collection.

My first “luxurious” watch brand that I am able to afford was an Omega. That was in 2002. I never paid attention to its subsequent releases but only took notice last year with the Omega watches bequeathed by my late Dad and the introduction of the Speedy Tuesday. The hype that Omega created is a great strategic move allowing me to pay attention again to this brand.

Edited Apr 3, 2018
  14. JohnM Apr 3, 2018

Great question. I have the Railmaster and Speedmaster and love them both. The Railmaster was a no-brainer for me because I like simple watches and had been looking for an older Railmaster for a few years. The 60th Anniversary version is a very low key, understated watch but that's why I love it -- so many watches today are bigger and bolder. The Railmaster is distinctive for its simplicity and subtlety.

I'm not a huge chrono guy but I owned a Speedmaster Professional 3570.50 a few years ago. I liked the watch, especially the rounded Hesalite crystal, but sold it because because I found it a little hard to wind, due to the crown guards. The 60th Anniversary version looks even better to my eye, has no crown guards, and is easier to read, at least in one sense -- the chrono hand is slimmer and looks very different from the broad arrow hands. On the other hand, the 60th Anniversary broad arrow hands do get in the way of the subdials more than the slimmer hands of the Professional.

For some reason, the Seamaster was my least favorite of the three, but I do like it and would love to own one at some point.

From my own inquiries, the Speedy is the hardest to find, while the Railmaster and Seamaster are still pretty easy to find.

Longbow and Green Omega like this.
  15. Green Omega Apr 4, 2018

Thank you for your inputs! I agree with you on the broad arrow “blocking” a portion of the subdials. Despite that issue, I’ll probably let go my Moonwatch if I would get an opportunity to complete my Trilogy with the purchase of the Railmaster.

16. Longbow Apr 4, 2018

D71AE5A1-4828-406D-AB40-A055D564DCB2.jpeg
    Whatever you choose to call it, this one is called “Christine”.

9ECAC25D-1BEE-436F-B5DA-F3FF88B44BF0.jpeg
    B52062AC-A1BB-44A5-B0E2-777866296B60.jpeg A929A4D9-F757-49CB-9C08-15A29FE7C39A.jpeg

Eve, Pun, htiek and 3 others like this.
  17. stevec14 Apr 4, 2018

I have the railmaster and absolutely love it. I have a speedy coming in on Friday also and will no doubt be walking out with it despite slight misgivings over the price beating in mind it doesn’t have an automatic movement etc.

These are great pieces and while priced quite high the quality is superb and up there with my Rolexes. Contrary to one poster I find the bracelet very comfy and looks great, albeit I agree it is quite heavy.

The seamaster sings to me least, but partly that is because I have a diver already in my collection.

Either way, I don’t believe you can go wrong with these and given the mixed bag announced by omega at Basel, I think they’ll stay popular and hopefully hold their value.

Pun and Green Omega like this.
  18. Morseman Apr 4, 2018

I have and love all three, for different reasons. The Railmaster I got from Jomoshop in November and the other two in October, from an AD in a rural area.

I rotate them with my moonwatch, purchased new in '96.

Mtnmansa and Green Omega like this.
  19. mbeast Apr 4, 2018

I’ve relatively recently bought the Speedmaster from a member of this forum. It’s my first modern Omega and first modern ‘luxury’ watch - I’ve previously only been interested in vintage models. I’ve always wanted a Speedmaster but the regular model is too big for my wrist, so this smaller, vintage-inspired version is perfect for me.

I had some initial misgivings around the faux-aged luminous, but I’ve now come to terms with it and I absolutely love the watch and intend to keep it long term.

I’m now considering the Railmaster as it seems the most easily obtainable on the secondary market and would make a nice alternative to the Speedmaster. I haven’t considered the Seamaster due to having other similar watches.

5992D928-7DF7-4B25-B9C5-F034E8901A53.jpeg

gippo, htiek and Green Omega like this.
  20. Green Omega Apr 4, 2018

Thanks for your nod! Still waiting for my RM that my AD has promised to get one. Judging from the recent Baselworld, it would be pretty hard IMO for Omega to match this Trilogy from its future releases.