Forums Latest Members

Political and or Economic thread

1. ONEWATCH Irony embodied Sep 24, 2015

I would like to hear from both here in the states and overseas what people think of both topics. 2016 Pres race, Greece and the Euro, bigot and racist opinions of immigrant problems.

I'll start. I grew up on the east side of Cleveland. Many, many of my friends had parents who spoke with an accent. It was not uncommon to see adults wearing long sleeve shirts on the hottest days of the year. Why, to cover up the tattoo's on their forearms is why.

2. novina Sep 24, 2015

What don't they get about "ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT"? I am a legal immigrant to the US and got nothing from them. Earned all we had. Father had to learn English before becoming a citizen. What happened? I have no issue we people coming here for a better life. But please don't try to make your own country here! Heritage is respected, respect this country for giving you the oppurtunity to be in a better place.

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 24, 2015

Holocaust?

4. italy1861 Sep 24, 2015

Two things I don't like discussing between peers, politics and religion. Discussions can get out of hand if you don't agree with expressed opinions.

orbistat likes this.
  5. ONEWATCH Irony embodied Sep 24, 2015

To Novina
    First thing I wish to do is welcome you and your family to America. Second is that this country has a great and long history of illegal immigrants. Christopher Columbus and before him the Vikings were illegal immigrants. The rules of immigration into this country have a bigoted history to them. They have been written to only let a few of the "wrong types" in and many of the correct types.

Ludi likes this.
  6. ONEWATCH Irony embodied Sep 24, 2015

Yes, they were survivors of the camps in Europe. And, they were not all Jews.

7. ONEWATCH Irony embodied Sep 24, 2015

I would expect, but probably not get, a higher form of discourse here. Your opinions would have to be very poorly backed up if the first thing one says is "You are a &^%$#^$&&"

8. italy1861 Sep 24, 2015

9. Pvt-Public Sep 24, 2015

Really? Where did you get this version of history? The Huffington Post, or The Daily Onion? Columbus didn't try to permanently live here (there are doubts that he ever even set foot on land in North America), neither did the Vikings. Even if they did there was no country yet, no laws for or against it, and certainly no one here to enforce them back then anyways. Sorry you need relevant examples if you wish to make or prove a point. My grandparents were immigrants, legal ones at that. Had to prove they had a job, a place to live, and an American sponsor, had to learn english and pass a citizenship test, before they could get their "papers". But i guess now all you have to do is get here.

10. italy1861 Sep 24, 2015

My parents went through the same. Took a long time but, my father said he'd have it no other way.. What make immigrants now better than my parents? If my parents went through it, they can too. They need to earn it in my book.

11. ONEWATCH Irony embodied Sep 24, 2015

So the several million Native Americans do not count. I'm sure they were pleased as punch to have all those Europeans coming here. If they could have had it their way, none of our relatives would have landed. Or is it because they were savages without written laws that makes it Ok for us to have over run them?
    My wife's Grandparents came here from Eastern Europe during WW1. Back then you just showed up and if you were healthy you got to stay. Too many "undesirables" were getting in so that is when the tough laws were passed.
    By the way, tell your grandparents "Welcome to America." So few people say that today.

12. italy1861 Sep 24, 2015

Edited Sep 24, 2015
  13. ONEWATCH Irony embodied Sep 24, 2015

I did on your link

"After the Immigration Act of 1924 was passed, which greatly restricted immigration and allowed processing at overseas embassies, the only immigrants to pass through the station were those who had problems with their immigration paperwork, displaced persons, and war refugees.[46"

14. Pvt-Public Sep 24, 2015

Sure they count, and they came from somewhere else too.

I really wish they were still around so I could, but thanks.

15. italy1861 Sep 24, 2015

So your saying they just came here and were granted citizenship without having to do jack? No process, nothing? I find that hard to believe. They didn't apply, then wait until permission was granted?

16. ONEWATCH Irony embodied Sep 24, 2015

Are you arguing that since the Native Americans came here from some other place and we wiped them out, so now it is Ok for others to come here and wipe us out? Sounds like it.

When I started this about the immigrants, I was really referring to what is going on in Europe right now. Any comments from across the pond. What happened to the open borders of the European Union?

17. italy1861 Sep 24, 2015

Sorry, I live in Arizona where the immigration issue has been an issue for a lot of the residents. What's happening in Europe is very unfortunate that's for sure.

noelekal likes this.
  18. ONEWATCH Irony embodied Sep 24, 2015

They showed up, got in and I don't know what happened after that. They both passed before I met my wife. Ellis Island was not the only port of entry to the U.S.

19. Pvt-Public Sep 24, 2015

Not at all just pointing out the fact that they too are immigrants, nothing more nothing less.
    My take on the European refugee (and that's what they are) situation is they should have shut down the borders long ago. Every country has the right to defend and protect their border. And no person from another country has the "right" to demand admittance.

Buckeyes#1, Kja and noelekal like this.
  20. ONEWATCH Irony embodied Sep 24, 2015

Maybe someone from Europe can correct me if I am wrong. When the European Union was established, did not open borders become one of their hallmark items. Complete and total freedom of travel for any purpose across all borders. Kind of like moving from Maine to California. Now borders are closed. Is it because they are not the correct type of people?