Forums Latest Members
  1. Lulu Bear May 22, 2015

I've got a small chip in my plexi between the 9 and 10 markers. Am I right in not wanting to have it polished out when it goes in for servicing? The plexi is original with the Omega logo in the centre, and otherwise unscratched.

Thanks for the help.

upload_2015-5-22_11-49-7.png

upload_2015-5-22_10-39-31.png upload_2015-5-22_11-48-44.png
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 22, 2015

:(

Sorry, not a polishable fault. It's obviously a crack and will need a new replacement crystal.

Matty01 likes this.
  3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 22, 2015

Which is not a big deal. Replacement Omega crystals (with the logo) should be available.

Matty01 likes this.
  4. Lulu Bear May 22, 2015

Thanks guys. It's not a biggie for me so I'll leave it as is. Cheers!

5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 22, 2015

Nice watch.
    I understand the need to keep the watch as original as possible -I'm the same
    If it were just a scratch it would easily polish out with something like polywatch -which is very acceptable (dare I say the norm) to watch collectors.
    But most folks also consider crystal replacement to be the least of crimes against originality when having a watch serviced.
    You can get new 'official' Omega crystals -complete with Omega symbol in the centre. (and with or without the date magnifying section)
    So if the crack does bother you -then have it replaced (about £30 -perhaps a little more with magnifier?) and ask for the old one to be returned to you and keep it with the watch.
    I've just had mine replaced on my Connie (see recent post) and it makes one heck of a difference to the look of the watch.

Giff2577 likes this.
  6. Lulu Bear May 22, 2015

Just had a look at your Connie. Yes, huge difference. Looks really good!

Thanks for the information regarding the price and acceptability of replacing the crystal. I was wondering about both those points. I think as I'm planning to wear the watch every day I'll wait for there to be a few more marks before changing it. When that day does come, though, where would I get the plexi? Is it a Ebay scour or direct from Omega?

7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 22, 2015

My watchmaker sourced the Omega crystal -I didn't ask where from.
    there are a couple of 'authentic' watch parts suppliers
    Otto Frei
    Cousins
    I haven't searched for Omega crystals but they do the 'correct' replacements for most things

8. Lulu Bear May 22, 2015

Great, thanks a lot for the help!

9. ChrisN May 22, 2015

If it's a crack, I would definitely get it sorted as it could allow moisture in.

Out of interest, you don't have to keep the date magnifier if you prefer it without. If yours is a 166.020 (it may be a 166.0020 as Omega sometimes add zeros to the reference), then Cousins list these two. With the L means it has the date magnifier. I prefer mine without as it looks cleaner to me. Just realised the no magnifier crystal is half the price - perhaps I'm naturally a cheapskate...

As well as Phillip's, here is mine before/after.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/what-a-difference-a-crystal-makes.24994/

166.020.jpg
    I see from another thread that the bug has bitten hard and you are already on the lookout for another watch;) I don't know how long that goes on for - a couple of years already for me

Cheers, Chris

10. Lulu Bear May 22, 2015

Thanks for the advice, Chris.

Er... yeah, I think the bug has indeed bitten me. My wife asked me yesterday why I'm still looking at watches when I've just bought one. I told her I was just looking and had no intention to buy another. I think she knew I was lying.

11. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 22, 2015

That might be a couple of years Chris, but the bug has bitten many times each year.:thumbsup: I bought my first Zenith in 2007 - 30 Zeniths later....

ChrisN likes this.
  12. j.allen May 22, 2015

Very lovely watch. Although I prefer dark colored dials this is really pleasing to the eye.

13. Lulu Bear May 23, 2015

Thanks j.allen, I really like the simplicity of its look.

I'm now also on the hunt for some black dials. Preferably with s/s case and furniture.

14. ChrisN May 23, 2015

I started looking for a couple and now have a wish list as long as your arm. Ah well, my wife is happy with that as long as some are, occasionally, for her. I am fixing up her childhood and teenage watches as I go and I put together a 60s Ladies Seamaster for her so she's happy with that and allows me leeway in others for me.;) Many bargains in Ladies watches as they are not collectable.

Good luck with the hunt.